Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 12:37 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The phrase “Sola Scriptura” is not found anywhere in God’s word, but here are some things that are God breathed.

Peter wrote, "…His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness,…” (2 Peter 1:3).

Since God has provided "all things that pertain to life and godliness," then there is nothing beyond what is found within Scripture that we need for spiritual life and godliness.

Since the Scriptures will thoroughly furnish the man of God unto all good works and bring him unto perfection (2 Timothy 3:17), then what more is needed?

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day" (John 12:48). According to Jesus all men will stand before God and be judged according to God's eternal word — the Bible. We will be judged by nothing but.

Furthermore, since Jesus promised the apostles that the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth would teach them all things, bring all things to their remembrance, and guide them into all truth (John 14:26; 16:13), then the apostles had all truth, and they revealed all truth to us.
As I have said, whatever you believe that leads you to love Jesus and God and seek righteousness is sufficient for you. It becomes problematic when you seek to impose your beliefs on others or condemn them for not believing as you do. We are not here to judge others or to enforce on others what we believe God wants from us.

We are here to do what we believe God wants from us, period. We come into this world alone, we will leave it alone, and we will stand before God and Jesus alone. It is enough that you have to account for yourself. Why add the burden of others you have convinced or imposed your beliefs on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 12:54 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's your assumption. There was a church, but it wasn't called the Roman Catholic church.
You are correct - it was never was and didn't need to be called that until 'others' came along that needed to 'identify/set them selves apart' from it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You think the Great Commission was to Peter and the church you think he was Pope over?
Just like Eliakim, the keys were handed to Peter, by our Lord himself.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:44 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As I have said, whatever you believe that leads you to love Jesus and God and seek righteousness is sufficient for you. It becomes problematic when you seek to impose your beliefs on others or condemn them for not believing as you do. We are not here to judge others or to enforce on others what we believe God wants from us.

We are here to do what we believe God wants from us, period. We come into this world alone, we will leave it alone, and we will stand before God and Jesus alone. It is enough that you have to account for yourself. Why add the burden of others you have convinced or imposed your beliefs on?
I agree. We are not here to condemn anyone, and I don’t believe I have ever done that. We are commanded to contend for the faith, however. That is what God wants us to do (Jude 3).

Old 10-28-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It was called "Catholic". As for the "Roman" part, we only use that descriptor to distinguish it (the Latin/Roman rite or church) from the Catholic churches that are not Roman. It's mostly non-Catholics who insist on using the name "ROMAN Catholic Church".
The church Jesus built was never called “catholic” in the Scriptures. The church is known by many names in Scripture, but Catholic isn’t one of them.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:55 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
The church Jesus built was never called “catholic” in the Scriptures. The church is known by many names in Scripture, but Catholic isn’t one of them.
Do you believe in the Trinity?

Old 10-28-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Regardless of whether Sola scriptura is biblical or not, it obviously doesn't work. There are Protestants that believe in salvation by grace, and others in salvation by works. Some believe in speaking in tongues , others don't . Some believe in baptism by immersion, some by sprinkling, some don't accept it at all. Some think it is necessary for salvation, others that it is just a symbol. Most believe Christ is divine but some don't. Some believe in the Trinity while others don't.

And they ALL will tell you they believe what they believe because "the Bible says so".

Its almost as if there was not any intention that Scripture would be the only means of authority and teaching .
You’re blaming the Scriptures for division? Scripture isn’t the problem. People are. It’s mainly because they won’t study for themselves. They’re content to let others do their thinking for them (parents, pastors, commentaries, etc.) The Scriptures are meant to unite, not divide us.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
You’re blaming the Scriptures for division? Scripture isn’t the problem. People are. It’s mainly because they won’t study for themselves. They’re content to let others do their thinking for them (parents, pastors, commentaries, etc.) The Scriptures are meant to unite, not divide us.
Read it again. He's not blaming the Scriptures. He's blaming the doctrine of sola scriptura.

The Scriptures are not meant to unite or divide us. They are meant to point us to Christ.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:57 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
I agree. We are not here to condemn anyone, and I don’t believe I have ever done that. We are commanded to contend for the faith, however. That is what God wants us to do (Jude 3).
Yep!

Each in our way depending on our own “inheritance”

Old 10-28-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
You are correct - it was never was and didn't need to be called that until 'others' came along that needed to 'identify/set them selves apart' from it!

Just like Eliakim, the keys were handed to Peter, by our Lord himself.
May I ask what you think the keys to the kingdom are?

Old 10-28-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
May I ask what you think the keys to the kingdom are?
Authority.

Namely:

- the power of order, namely power exercised in regard to sacrifice and sacrament,
- the power of jurisdiction, and
- the power to define in questions of faith and morals.

Potestas Clavium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity