Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 02:06 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Do you believe in the Trinity?
I absolutely believe the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are ONE GOD.

However, I don’t use the term “trinity” because it is not found in the Scriptures, though I realize the concept is there. I try not to use terms or phrases that are not found in God’s word because they tend to cause division. I prefer to debate from just the Scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 02:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Authority.

Namely:

- the power of order, namely power exercised in regard to sacrifice and sacrament,
- the power of jurisdiction, and
- the power to define in questions of faith and morals.

Potestas Clavium
That would make sense if they didn't teach so much that was contrary to Scripture. A great example is your first item, sacrifice and sacrament. The idea of having to "re-present the sacrifice of Christ" goes blatantly against the book of Hebrews. Or the idea that we obtain grace through objects or ritual? Nope. Again, that is so contrary to Scripture.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:25 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
May I ask what you think the keys to the kingdom are?
Suan Sonna sums it up nicely in 3 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/_ChLuJgITrk?t=295

nicely 'typified' in the OT even multiple times,
as opposed to 'sola-scriptura', which is neither in the NT, nor even typified/foreshadowed in the OT anywhere,
and totally unknown to Christendom until 1600 some odd years after Christ founded His church!

Last edited by CCCyou; 10-28-2021 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Read it again. He's not blaming the Scriptures. He's blaming the doctrine of sola scriptura.

The Scriptures are not meant to unite or divide us. They are meant to point us to Christ.
It’s true that the Scriptures are meant to lead us to Christ, but they are also meant to unite us. Surely you don’t think God gave us His holy word to divide us, do you?

The term “Sola Scriptura” is not found in God’s word. That said everything we need to know to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God is found in His word. There is no need for anything but Scripture. The word of God is able to make us perfect (complete).

Old 10-28-2021, 02:31 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That would make sense if they didn't teach so much that was contrary to Scripture. A great example is your first item, sacrifice and sacrament. The idea of having to "re-present the sacrifice of Christ" goes blatantly against the book of Hebrews. Or the idea that we obtain grace through objects or ritual? Nope. Again, that is so contrary to Scripture.
huh? what 'idea' ? - You must be reading (interpreting) Hebrews wrong then - it's obeying Jesus commands to do:

" Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.”

And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you."
Luke 22:19-20

Paul even warns against reception when improperly disposed:

"For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.
Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord.*
A person should examine himself,* and so eat the bread and drink the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself." 1 Cor 11:27-29

Yes, Paul was catholic, and believed the eucharist was the real deal, just as Jesus tells him and us in John 6:55-56

Last edited by CCCyou; 10-28-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-28-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Yep!

Each in our way depending on our own “inheritance”
Our own inheritance? Please explain, and provide Scripture to support your view. If it’s not from God’s word, then it is opinion, which is not God breathed.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:35 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
It’s true that the Scriptures are meant to lead us to Christ, but they are also meant to unite us. Surely you don’t think God gave us His holy word to divide us, do you?
Who is "us"?

Quote:
The term “Sola Scriptura” is not found in God’s word. That said everything we need to know to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God is found in His word. There is no need for anything but Scripture. The word of God is able to make us perfect (complete).
Do we need to eat and drink the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ to be saved?

Old 10-28-2021, 02:40 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Suan Sonna sums it up nicely in 3 minutes here:

https://youtu.be/_ChLuJgITrk?t=295

nicely 'typified' in the OT even multiple times,
as opposed to 'sola-scriptura', which is neither in the NT, nor even typified/foreshadowed in the OT anywhere,
and totally unknown to Christendom until 1600 some odd years after Christ founded His church!
Thanks for that link CCC, very interesting and informative

Old 10-28-2021, 02:45 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
You’re blaming the Scriptures for division? Scripture isn’t the problem. People are. It’s mainly because they won’t study for themselves. They’re content to let others do their thinking for them (parents, pastors, commentaries, etc.) The Scriptures are meant to unite, not divide us.
I’m saying that people reading the Bible and coming up with a thousand different interpretations on their own of what things in it mean is the cause of the 35,000 Protestant sects. That can’t really be what God intended .

Old 10-28-2021, 02:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Galatians 2:11-14

11 When Peter came to Antioch, I told him face to face that he was wrong. 12 He used to eat with Gentile followers of the Lord, until James sent some Jewish followers. Peter was afraid of the Jews and soon stopped eating with Gentiles. 13 He and the other Jews hid their true feelings so well that even Barnabas was fooled. 14 But when I saw that they were not really obeying the truth that is in the good news, I corrected Peter in front of everyone and said:

Peter, you are a Jew, but you live like a Gentile. So how can you force Gentiles to live like Jews?
Right, that's what I thought you'd say or quote.

Peter wasn't infallible and neither the bible nor Catholicism nor church tradition teaches that. Peter was a fallen man, a sinner, like the rest of us in that sense.

That's why I'm saying learn the difference between tradition and Tradition. Peter clearly was a sinner - the bible shows his doubts, his failings, his shortcomings, etc. clearly for anyone to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity