Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 06:14 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Furthermore, since Jesus promised the apostles that the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth would teach them all things, bring all things to their remembrance, and guide them into all truth (John 14:26; 16:13), then the apostles had all truth, and they revealed all truth to us.
I have no argument with that, but clearly "all truth" was not recorded or preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You’re blaming the Scriptures for division? Scripture isn’t the problem. People are. It’s mainly because they won’t study for themselves. They’re content to let others do their thinking for them (parents, pastors, commentaries, etc.) The Scriptures are meant to unite, not divide us.
I believe that most people are sincere in trying to correctly interpret the scriptures, but I don't think it's as cut and dried as you are implying. There are so many, many doctrines that separate Christians of different denominations, and all of them can point to certain biblical verses as evidence that they're right. I could name a half a dozen of these right off the top of my head, but each of them could comprise an entire thread on there own.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
It’s true that the Scriptures are meant to lead us to Christ, but they are also meant to unite us. Surely you don’t think God gave us His holy word to divide us, do you?

The term “Sola Scriptura” is not found in God’s word. That said everything we need to know to be saved and to live a life pleasing to God is found in His word. There is no need for anything but Scripture. The word of God is able to make us perfect (complete).
So I'm curious... With your last statement in mind, I'm wondering why you even bothered to start the thread on whether the Church Jesus Christ established is on the earth today. I mean, why would it even matter if you could just get all of your answers from reading the Bible?

Old 10-28-2021, 06:34 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
/// Isaiah 22:22 is speaking of Jesus. ///
I would have to highly disagree with you there, as Jesus is not son of Hilkiah (v.20), nor will/does Jesus break off and fall away (v.25), nor is Jesus the steward (v.15/19) -
Rather Jesus is instead The King, who Himself confers authority to the steward (v.21 & Mat 16:19).

Seems a perfect example of why scripture teaches us "Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things." 2 Peter 1:20

Old 10-28-2021, 06:41 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have no argument with that, but clearly "all truth" was not recorded or preserved.
According to the Scriptures I posted to you, all the truth we needed to know to make us complete/perfect was given to us.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:51 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
So I'm curious... With your last statement in mind, I'm wondering why you even bothered to start the thread on whether the Church Jesus Christ established is on the earth today. I mean, why would it even matter if you could just get all of your answers from reading the Bible?
I started the thread because when MeerKat asked me what denomination I belonged to, I explained to her that I didn’t belong to any denomination. I explained to her that it is possible for believers to follow the patterns prescribed for the church of the New Testament. We can obey the gospel as the first Christians did. Our work, worship and church organization can follow the early church’s examples. Meerkat said she didn’t think it was possible. Hence, my OP. I wanted to know what other people thought. The Scriptures do provide everything we need to know for what God’s will is for His church. I wasn’t asking because I didn’t know the answer. I wanted to know other opinions. Maybe I didn’t word it as well as I could have. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
A serious question here . Given that Bibles weren’t around as codified Scripture until hundreds of years after the Apostles, and that the average Christian didn’t have his own Bible until only a few hundred years ago ( the first printed Bible that made it available to the common person was about 1500AD ) , how did the early Christians get by?

A well known Christian historian and bishop of about 320 AD lists the following books of the Bible as not scripture, to varying degrees . James, Jude, 2nd Peter, 2nd and 3rd John. Revelations was also suspect and not accepted by many Christians . So as late as 300 years after Christ the Bible isn’t really established as we now know it . For reference, the US will have been around for 300 years in about 55 more years . So there was no Bible as we know it available to early Christians for longer than the US has been a nation

But until the printing press came along only rich people that could afford to pay scribes to hand copy a Bible for them had their own Bibles . In addition, until about the 1700s most of the common people were illiterate . So how did the non wealthy and the illiterate get by for 1500- 1600 years after the Apostles ?
You are spot on in all of your observations. Excellent post (which will undoubtedly be ignored by the Sola Scriptura crowd).

Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
What truth was not recorded or preserved?

Old 10-28-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I started the thread because when MeerKat asked me what denomination I belonged to, I explained to her that I didn’t belong to any denomination. I explained to her that it is possible for believers to follow the patterns prescribed for the church of the New Testament. We can obey the gospel as the first Christians did. Our work, worship and church organization can follow the early church’s examples. Meerkat said she didn’t think it was possible. Hence, my OP. I wanted to know what other people thought. The Scriptures do provide everything we need to know for what God’s will is for His church. I wasn’t asking because I didn’t know the answer. I wanted to know other opinions. Maybe I didn’t word it as well as I could have. Hope this helps.
Fair enough. Thanks for your response.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:22 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
What truth was not recorded or preserved?
The things Jesus said they were not ready to comprehend because they were too carnal. That is why what He presented to them was merely "carnal milk" NOT "spiritual solid food." Apparently, we never did get ready to comprehend the "spiritual solid food." The dogma stagnated at the "carnal milk" level for more than two millennia. In God's evolutionary timescale that is barely more than two days so I guess there is hope for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity