Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2021, 07:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I agree with you about the sincerity of others, but I disagree with you when it comes to not being able to understand God’s plan of salvation and knowing what God requires of us in our lives as Christians. IMHO, most disagreements are due to people’s prior beliefs and lack of personal study.
Lack of personal study? Really? People who have spent their entire lives studying Scripture and theology who love Christ with all their hearts disagree on the most basic doctrines.

Come on now. You can't really be that arrogant as to think you have it all figured out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2021, 07:18 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nope, and I never said or implied that.

They also sent out and quoted many, many letters and other writings that didn't "make the cut" of the canon.
Anything that didn’t make the cut of the canon proved to be not God breathed.

Last edited by MissKate12; 10-29-2021 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-29-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Luther may have coined the term Sola Scriptura, but the Holy Spirit has clearly told us that Scripture is all we need. He said it is able to make us complete/perfect!

2 Timothy 3:15-17
“…and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Since the Old Testament was the only Scripture in existence at the time of Paul writing the above, is the Old Testament all that Timothy needed?

Old 10-29-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Lack of personal study? Really? People who have spent their entire lives studying Scripture and theology who love Christ with all their hearts disagree on the most basic doctrines.

Come on now. You can't really be that arrogant as to think you have it all figured out.
Ha! No, I don’t have it all figured out. Not by a long shot. It’s why I study constantly. That said, God’s plan of salvation is clearly laid out in Scripture. So isn’t the way of living a life pleasing to God. His work for us, the way He wants us to worship, and the way he wants His church to operate is also spelled out.

Why some theologians get off track is beyond me. Maybe they start their study with a particular mindset, then go about trying to prove it. Maybe it’s a desire for power, who knows? Only God sees their hearts. But they are not who I’m talking about. It’s their followers, the ones who are content to just go along with what they are taught and not study for themselves. There are millions out there. You can’t deny it.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Since the Old Testament was the only Scripture in existence at the time of Paul writing the above, is the Old Testament all that Timothy needed?
Of course not. Paul was teaching on a continual basis what he’d been given by the Holy Spirit. A Scripture doesn’t need to be written down to be a Scripture.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:34 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
... A Scripture doesn’t need to be written down to be a Scripture.
good to see you agreeing with the Catholic side now!

Old 10-29-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
A Scripture doesn’t need to be written down to be a Scripture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
good to see you agreeing with the Catholic side now!
Well, by definition, a "Scripture" must be written down. It comes from the root word "script".

I think what MissKate meant, and what CCCyou and I would agree with is that:

"the Word of God does not need to be written down to be the Word of God".

Old 10-29-2021, 07:41 AM

1,799 posts, read 561,692 times
Quote:
Luther may have coined the term Sola Scriptura, but the Holy Spirit has clearly told us that Scripture is all we need. He said it is able to make us complete/perfect!

2 Timothy 3:15-17
“…and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2Peter 1:3
“…as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness,…”

Tell me, my friend. What did God leave out that we should know concerning salvation or how to live a life pleasing to God.

Cognitive dissonance is when someone is unable to admit they are wrong even when they are faced with overwhelming.
Where in these verses does it say that ONLY Scripture has been given by inspiration?

Old 10-29-2021, 07:43 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,377,312 times
Quote:
///

I think what MissKate meant, and what CCCyou and I would agree with is that:

"the Word of God does not need to be written down to be the Word of God".
Yes - she did let a bit of truth slip out.
Paul call's that kind, 'traditions'; you know, the kind to 'hold fast' to - 2 Thessalonians 2:15 - and blows the whole 'solo scriptura' theory out of the water!

Old 10-29-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yes - she did let a bit of truth slip out.
Paul call's that kind, 'traditions'; you know, the kind to 'hold fast' to - 2 Thessalonians 2:15 - and blows the whole 'solo scriptura' theory out of the water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity