Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2021, 04:57 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Huh?

Are you saying you have posted previously under another name?

If so it seems to me you would be the one having vindictive intentions (as in not laying your cards on the table up front but having a hidden agenda)
I was a member of this forum years ago. I did not remember my user name or password, so I registered with the user name MissKate12. I was not aware that this was against the rules until admin told me someone had contacted them about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Luther may have coined the term Sola Scriptura, but the Holy Spirit has clearly told us that Scripture is all we need. He said it is able to make us complete/perfect!

2 Timothy 3:15-17
“…and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2Peter 1:3
“…as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness,…”

Tell me, my friend. What did God leave out that we should know concerning salvation or how to live a life pleasing to God.

Cognitive dissonance is when someone is unable to admit they are wrong even when they are faced with overwhelming.
I don't mean to argue with you but I want to point out that nowhere in any of those passages, or in the entire bible for that matter, does the bible say ONLY Scripture. It says ALL Scripture. Big difference. Huge difference.

Oh what a difference one word makes. And the second verse, 2 Peter 1:3 isn't even talking about Scripture only - it doesn't even mention Scripture.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Anything that didn’t make the cut of the canon proved to be not God breathed.
That wasn't my point at all.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by every book of the Bible has been added to? Do you mean the actual manuscripts?

Am I misunderstanding you? Did you just say the entire Bible didn’t exist at the time Revelation was written? Didn’t the Old Testament scrolls available when Jesus walked the earth. And what about the gospels, and letter? Are you saying they hadn’t been written, copied and circulated before Revelation was written?

The Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Roman Catholic Magisterium make the same claims you made in your last statement. God speaks directly to them too.
She said the ENTIRE bible didn't exist at the time of Revelation. She didn't say anything about the Old Testament only not existing. I believe she was talking about the canon of the bible.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I’m totally confused by your post. What new Scripture did men add? You’re not making sense. The words contained in Deuteronomy were God breathed. So are the words of the other thirty-four books of the Old Testament.
The whole New Testament for starters.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Consider the initial question. "Is Sola Scriptura Scriptural?"

Seriously. The OP is actually asking us if we think that Scripture tells us to believe it, or to disregard its authority.
No, the OP is actually asking us if we think that ONLY Scripture tells us to believe in ONLY Scripture.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's what the title is. It just struck me as I was looking at thread titles.

Yes, I know you elaborated some in the post, but the title itself, I think is somewhat indicative of the thread. It boils down to "Do we trust Scripture or not?"

As for it being the "only source for truth?" Obviously, no one thinks that. I mean...when I took my Driver's test way back when for the first time I actually read the DMV driving manual. I didn't read John's Gospel for that. So there IS knowledge and truth outside the Bible.
No. It boils down to "Do we trust scripture ONLY or not?" That's what the word Sola means. In the title. Of the OP.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Apparently my question was not all that hard to understand, after all.
Bingo. I understood it perfectly. And I have a pretty simple mind.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:00 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No. It boils down to "Do we trust scripture ONLY or not?" That's what the word Sola means. In the title. Of the OP.
The Scriptures are God-breathed. I trust in them for that reason. I trust in the God-breathed words for my salvation, and for knowing how to live a life pleasing to God. No other writings of men are God-breathed.

Old 10-30-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The Scriptures are God-breathed. I trust in them for that reason. I trust in the God-breathed words for my salvation, and for knowing how to live a life pleasing to God. No other writings of men are God-breathed.
OK you do you.

I believe that the scriptures are from God and I trust them also, for that reason. They are honored and revered in my Church in fact.

Don't even get me started! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity