Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 02:27 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,267,838 times

Advertisements

I have good friends who say they are Christians but are not affiliated with any group. Is this acceptable to God? Does He require us to to attend the services of a church?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 02:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I have good friends who say they are Christians but are not affiliated with any group. Is this acceptable to God? Does He require us to to attend the services of a church?
Which one does he require that you attend of those in existence ...?
Personally, I believe this so called requirement is a human construct.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:37 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
In my opinion he doesn’t as there is mention of the homeless, fatherless, orphans, widows

Old 10-30-2021, 02:38 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
I have good friends who say they are Christians but are not affiliated with any group. Is this acceptable to God? Does He require us to attend the services of a church?
If attendance would evoke a state of mind in you that brings you closer to God, I am sure He would approve. If attendance would evoke states of mind antithetical or opposite of those that would bring you closer to God then I am sure He would NOT approve.

Bottom line: If attendance causes you to love God and each other every day and repent when you fail, God would approve. (And that is NOT a dodge, MissKate! ) That is what Jesus advocated for when two or more are gathered in His name.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:44 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
In Revelation 1:12-20 ... Where apostle John saw seven golden candle sticks, and He saw the vision of the Lord God as the light shined on God, and these seven golden candle sticks, the stars are seven Holy Angels, and the candle sticks are the seven churches of that day .... So God has a Holy Angel in all anointed church of Jesus Christ today, where if your church is anointed which it should, or you should find one ... All in all if God took the time to put His Holy angels in the church than you must go also as God sees your attendance

Old 10-30-2021, 02:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,894 times
i know two or three i could attend (a bit far geographically) because i found there spiritual support.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:50 PM

There are different words for assembling or congregating

Homes, temple, synagogue, church (ekklesia) have different meanings

The Fellowship of the Believers
Act 2:42**And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43**And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44**And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45**And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46**And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47**Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

G2411***(Strong)
ἱερόν
hieron
hee-er-on'
Neuter of G2413; a sacred place, that is, the entire precincts (whereas G3485 denotes the central sanctuary itself) of the Temple (at Jerusalem or elsewhere): - temple.

G3624***(Strong)
οἶκος
oikos
oy'-kos
Of uncertain affinity; a dwelling (more or less extensive, literally or figuratively); by implication a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively): - home, house (-hold), temple.

G1577***(Strong)
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.

1Co 11:20**When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
1Co 11:21**For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
1Co 11:22**What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
1Co 11:23**For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1Co 11:24**And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25**After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
There are different words for assembling or congregating

Homes, temple, synagogue, church (ekklesia) have different meanings

The Fellowship of the Believers
Act 2:42**And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Act 2:43**And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Act 2:44**And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Act 2:45**And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Act 2:46**And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Act 2:47**Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

G2411***(Strong)
ἱερόν
hieron
hee-er-on'
Neuter of G2413; a sacred place, that is, the entire precincts (whereas G3485 denotes the central sanctuary itself) of the Temple (at Jerusalem or elsewhere): - temple.

G3624***(Strong)
οἶκος
oikos
oy'-kos
Of uncertain affinity; a dwelling (more or less extensive, literally or figuratively); by implication a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively): - home, house (-hold), temple.

G1577***(Strong)
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.

1Co 11:20**When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
1Co 11:21**For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
1Co 11:22**What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
1Co 11:23**For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1Co 11:24**And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25**After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
From the Scriptures you posted, it seems the example we’ve been left with is that the body of Christ did gather together for fellowship, prayer, and for the Lord’s Supper.

What do you make of what the writer of Hebrews said? And how do verses 24-25 connect with 26-27?

Hebrews 10
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
From the Scriptures you posted, it seems the example we’ve been left with is that the body of Christ did gather together for fellowship, prayer, and for the Lord’s Supper.

What do you make of what the writer of Hebrews said? And how do verses 24-25 connect with 26-27?

Hebrews 10
24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. 26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.
The fulfilling of Scripture was to come about over a specific period of time

2000 years or 2 days was set aside for the gentiles

Christianity is generally aware that we are at the end of the “latter days”

We need to go back to the church Fathers/Doctors/Saints for some information, and we need to be aware of the historical records

Each book is named for a reason

Old 10-30-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The fulfilling of Scripture was to come about over a specific period of time

2000 years or 2 days was set aside for the gentiles

Christianity is generally aware that we are at the end of the “latter days”

We need to go back to the church Fathers/Doctors/Saints for some information, and we need to be aware of the historical records

Each book is named for a reason
You didn’t address my questions about Hebrews 10:24-27.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity