Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 03:30 AM

614 posts, read 172,901 times

Advertisements

My favorite sort of Church service is one where there is a really long prayer and praise session. I love charismatic services. I love them because after they have gone on a while, if the Lord is going to speak through a person it will be easier for them to hear and cooperate with what God wants to do. I used to attend the services at the Vineyard, when John Wimber was officiating. It was the most incredible sort of service I have been to.

I once was prompted by God to say something during one of those times. He wanted me to talk about this study that I had personally been doing all that week. I thought, no, it was me trying to boast, or something. I kept quiet. Guess what, the sermon that day was on the same topic.

I think God wants us to attend some sort of fellowship. We are built to be social creatures. I don't, however, think He means this to be a hard and fast rule. It is probably meant to keep us from getting depressed.

We should not use these sorts of potentially dividing rules to separate us. This is one of those things that is too easy to pile up on too, like when people don't take their supermarket trolleys back to the cart wrangler when they have finished loading their vehicle. It is tempting to say that some behavior like that means something. Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't, but I don't think it warrants me being smug. I should forgive my neighbor if he sleights me, even seventy times seven times a day! I can't see how God would hold anybody to a different standard.

I don't attend today. Whose service would I go to? None of them think like I do. I am definitely a square peg in a round hole, when it comes to belonging in one group or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 04:37 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,269,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Shebna was 'master of the palace,' - haz·zeh has·sō·ḵên al- hab·bā·yiṯ
(meaning master/steward/comptroller/governor of the palace) not just 'treasurer' in a modern sense:

"Thus says the Lord, the GOD of hosts: Up, go to that official, Shebna, master of the palace..." Isaiah 22:15

Funny how God repeats things in scripture, three or more times, so that even a blind squirrel can find the nut:
Genesis 41:39-40 - "So Pharaoh said to Joseph: “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one as discerning and wise as you are. You shall be in charge of my household, and all my people will obey your command. Only in respect to the throne will I outrank you."
1 Kings 4:6 - "Ahishar-palace administrator;..."
1 Kings 18:3 - "and Ahab had summoned Obadiah, his palace administrator"

In those days, it seems to have been the highest office that a subject could hold:
2 Chronicles 26:21 - "King Uzziah .... Jotham his son had charge of the palace and governed the people of the land."
2 Kings 18:18 - "They called for the king; and Eliakim son of Hilkiah the palace administrator, Shebna the secretary, and Joah son of Asaph the recorder went out to them."

so, impossible ?
More cut and paste. And you never address what others say. It’s a one sided conversation.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:43 AM

[quote=Rose2Luv;62244332]MissKate: There is one thing the Lord of Life requires of us.

"What does the Lord require of you?

To act justly, and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."[/QUOTE

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.”

Everything God commanded falls under these two greatest commands. Loving God means doing what He says, and that includes assembling with the saints. Assembling is how we build one another up. (Hebrews 10:24-25).

Old 11-04-2021, 10:39 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
More cut and paste. And you never address what others say. It’s a one sided conversation.
So you think the old testament has nothing to do with the new?
Fine - you are free to believe whatever you wish.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
My favorite sort of Church service is one where there is a really long prayer and praise session. I love charismatic services. I love them because after they have gone on a while, if the Lord is going to speak through a person it will be easier for them to hear and cooperate with what God wants to do.
Because you don't believe God could get someone's attention without them being worn down emotionally by repeating 27 verses of a chorus?
Quote:

I used to attend the services at the Vineyard, when John Wimber was officiating. It was the most incredible sort of service I have been to.
John Wimber was exceptionally talented at manipulating people. I'd be very careful.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
So you think the old testament has nothing to do with the new?
Fine - you are free to believe whatever you wish.
Ahhh, so now you are putting words in my mouth. This is what people who cannot refute Scripture do. They attack. They make false accusations. They insult, and most of all, they never answer questions. They are only interested in their own view and opinions.

I believe in the Scriptures. They, and they alone, direct my path. You have pretty much admitted that the Scriptures are not enough for you. You look to other sources.

So be it.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:08 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Ahhh, so now you are putting words in my mouth. This is what people who cannot refute Scripture do. They attack. They make false accusations. They insult, and most of all, they never answer questions. They are only interested in their own view and opinions.

I believe in the Scriptures. They, and they alone, direct my path. You have pretty much admitted that the Scriptures are not enough for you. You look to other sources.

So be it.
If only Jesus Christ alone were directing your path, it would be safer for you than a book that just tells us about Him interpreted by primitive men who believed in a wrathful and vengeful War God.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:21 PM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:

So be it.
Scripture itself says that Scripture is not enough. Of course we are to look to other sources. Why do you disbelieve 2 Thessalonians 2:15? You can't just cherry pick whichever verses you like and ignore the ones you don't.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 "So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter."

You're having a harder time concealing your arrogance and pride, MissKate.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:34 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
My favorite sort of Church service is one where there is a really long prayer and praise session. I love charismatic services. I love them because after they have gone on a while, if the Lord is going to speak through a person it will be easier for them to hear and cooperate with what God wants to do. I used to attend the services at the Vineyard, when John Wimber was officiating. It was the most incredible sort of service I have been to.

I once was prompted by God to say something during one of those times. He wanted me to talk about this study that I had personally been doing all that week. I thought, no, it was me trying to boast, or something. I kept quiet. Guess what, the sermon that day was on the same topic.

I think God wants us to attend some sort of fellowship. We are built to be social creatures. I don't, however, think He means this to be a hard and fast rule. It is probably meant to keep us from getting depressed.

We should not use these sorts of potentially dividing rules to separate us. This is one of those things that is too easy to pile up on too, like when people don't take their supermarket trolleys back to the cart wrangler when they have finished loading their vehicle. It is tempting to say that some behavior like that means something. Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't, but I don't think it warrants me being smug. I should forgive my neighbor if he sleights me, even seventy times seven times a day! I can't see how God would hold anybody to a different standard.

I don't attend today. Whose service would I go to? None of them think like I do. I am definitely a square peg in a round hole, when it comes to belonging in one group or another.
Prophet my friend: Our Father has given us vast experiences into Him that has ruined us for mediocre journeys. The Road has been one of expansion resulting in a deep longings to know Him more fully.

To participate in His symphony requires the tuning of our beings to His frequency.

From one square peg to another: may the Lord of life bless you exceedingly abundantly beyond all you can think!

Old 11-04-2021, 12:36 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:

So be it.

I'll admit that you sure are 'trying' my charitability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity