Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 06:30 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love going to church. It feeds my soul. I go every week and sometimes more often than that.
I feel the same way. Singing praises to God is so uplifting, and there’s so much power in praying with others. I love every one of the sermons, and of course sharing the Lord’s Supper with Jesus, Himself, sitting right there beside me is the best of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 08:08 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I've had periods of life when church attendance was a fulfilling part of life, and other periods when I couldn't stand to go because I felt so lonely and abandoned by God when sitting in church.

So maybe God is fickle about this on an individual basis!

Old 11-06-2021, 12:07 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I’m going to send you a direct message. Ok?
Sure

Old 11-06-2021, 01:59 PM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because you don't believe God could get someone's attention without them being worn down emotionally by repeating 27 verses of a chorus?

John Wimber was exceptionally talented at manipulating people. I'd be very careful.
No, it's about a person's state of mind. Why would anyone want to be so worn down. It is really the same thing as walking into a cathedral, and being overwhelmed.

Yes, if that had been pointed at an other than God I could see your criticism. You probably heard about things second hand. I don't know how it ended. Maybe you are right? But you should know that sort of criticism is really close to criticizing Freud for being a cocaine addict.

He was a cocaine addict, but it may have had no bearing upon his theories. They have to stand on their own. He was actually wrong about a whole lot of stuff. Well, he was the first. He did get some amazing stuff right. To dismiss what he got right because what he got wrong supported the idea that he was all wrong because he was a cocaine addict would be a fallacy. I never got into any inner circles at the Vineyard or anything. I can't tell you anything more. I don't know if they were secretly out to get rich.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:09 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
I have good friends who say they are Christians but are not affiliated with any group. Is this acceptable to God? Does He require us to to attend the services of a church?
The word 'church' is the building, but the 'Christian Congregation' does require gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26

Old 11-06-2021, 05:14 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. Singing praises to God is so uplifting, and there’s so much power in praying with others. I love every one of the sermons, and of course sharing the Lord’s Supper with Jesus, Himself, sitting right there beside me is the best of all.
Meeting attendance is 'survival classes' for the Christian Congregation no matter where on Earth located.- Hebrews 10:24-26.
The person who isolates himself from the congregation will seek his own selfish desires - Proverbs 18:1

Old 11-07-2021, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There are also those who feel as you do, and go for that reason as well (...it's not an all or nothing).
Here's the deal - I think we're all in for some surprises - ALL of us - when we die and stand before our Maker. So I don't try to micromanage other adults or their faith walk. That's between them and God but I know what I need personally.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:41 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Here's the deal - I think we're all in for some surprises - ALL of us - when we die and stand before our Maker. So I don't try to micromanage other adults or their faith walk. That's between them and God but I know what I need personally.
And that is the most important, not what others believe, or don't believe.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
I totally agree which is one reason I don't generally "debate scripture" or church doctrine or whatever anywhere.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:28 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity