Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 06:52 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The word 'church' is the building, but the 'Christian Congregation' does require gathering together - Hebrews 10:24-26
Church is an English word. The term in Scripture is ekklesia. It means assembly/congregation. So yes, we are commanded to assemble together, and we have examples of the congregations of the NT doing just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Meeting attendance is 'survival classes' for the Christian Congregation no matter where on Earth located.- Hebrews 10:24-26.
The person who isolates himself from the congregation will seek his own selfish desires - Proverbs 18:1
Excellent verse!

Old 11-11-2021, 10:37 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Church is an English word. The term in Scripture is ekklesia. It means assembly/congregation. So yes, we are commanded to assemble together, and we have examples of the congregations of the NT doing just that.
Ekklesia is not just about assembling though, the Greek term was about the assembling of the called out

In a way that is what is happening on this forum to a certain degree where there is a very loose assembling together from a diversity of backgrounds

G1577***(Strong)
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Ekklesia is not just about assembling though, the Greek term was about the assembling of the called out

In a way that is what is happening on this forum to a certain degree where there is a very loose assembling together from a diversity of backgrounds

G1577***(Strong)
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.
Good post, and I actually get it.

Old 11-17-2021, 08:33 AM

609 posts, read 265,343 times
No, God does not require church attendance, contrary to what many people believe. Tithing is mentioned in the Bible but that is not a requirement either. I've seen too many people leave the church because they felt like failures if they could not afford to donate money to their church. As a young, single woman living in poverty back in the nineties, I was pressured to donate money when I could not even feed myself most of the time. And the singles groups in churches back then got pressured constantly to donate money since it was (wrongly) presumed that any unmarried person had tons of money. Churches do need money to finance their operations, building costs, pay salaries, etc. But they over spend on overseas missions instead of things that will benefit their own community. I'd give more money to my church if I knew it went to food banks, help with medical bills for indigent people, and providing clothing. I've seen churches where kids had holes in their shoes and clothing and their parents were sitting there, putting a twenty dollars or more in the collection plate. You need to take care of your family first.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:42 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
No, God does not require church attendance, contrary to what many people believe. Tithing is mentioned in the Bible but that is not a requirement either. I've seen too many people leave the church because they felt like failures if they could not afford to donate money to their church. As a young, single woman living in poverty back in the nineties, I was pressured to donate money when I could not even feed myself most of the time. And the singles groups in churches back then got pressured constantly to donate money since it was (wrongly) presumed that any unmarried person had tons of money. Churches do need money to finance their operations, building costs, pay salaries, etc. But they over spend on overseas missions instead of things that will benefit their own community. I'd give more money to my church if I knew it went to food banks, help with medical bills for indigent people, and providing clothing. I've seen churches where kids had holes in their shoes and clothing and their parents were sitting there, putting a twenty dollars or more in the collection plate. You need to take care of your family first.
Welcome to the forum

Good point, I guess it depends on the churches motivations

I think what was being set up initially was about community not business - but along the way it can get changed to business and not community

Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I have good friends who say they are Christians but are not affiliated with any group. Is this acceptable to God? Does He require us to to attend the services of a church?
No. He does not require it. However, fellowship with other Christians on a regular basis, the same group of Christians, is recommended in Scripture. "Do not forsake the fellowship of other believers".

People may disagree with me, but I do not think it needs to be every week. If you miss a week or two, or you attend once a month, I think that is fine. Twice a month, also fine. At someone's home rather than a church, I think that's OK. I think attending on important holidays is important.

I can't imagine Easter or Christmas without gathering with other Christians. If you don't feel called to attend on these days, perhaps Christianity isn't your religion. I feel compelled, in the best possible way, to be there.

Tomorrow is the first Sunday of Advent and I feel excited and drawn to church.

Christianity is not a solitary religion. It is a communal religion. I am not legalistic about perfect attendance. Not even close. However, a solitary walk in the park while nice, is not Christianity as I understand it. It can be a lovely adjunct to your practice of Christianity, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity