Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 08:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That lawless apostasy took place 2000 years ago, how do you think you became lawless lol.

The lawless one who stands against everything called of God or worshiped of God.

Are you kidding me right now?

Lawless Christians talking about the lawless one when he stands to speak against Moses and God's ways?

Hello?

Just can make this stuff up, next ya know, you will be wondering who the Babylonians of Revelation while you keep Babylonians ways.
The imagery or figurative language used in Revelation speaks to that of the Greco-Roman influence upon Christianity, where Christianities Jewish roots, were being mixed and blended with the Roman imperial culture and Greek philosophical ideas, which have actually molded Christianity into the institution it has become to this present day. I wonder, where people think the idea of the Trinity came from (i.e., one god in three persons)? Or, that of HELL and eternal damnation (i.e., an underworld of pain and suffering, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 11:19 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The imagery or figurative language used in Revelation speaks to that of the Greco-Roman influence upon Christianity, where Christianities Jewish roots, were being mixed and blended with the Roman imperial culture and Greek philosophical ideas, which have actually molded Christianity into the institution it has become to this present day. I wonder, where people think the idea of the Trinity came from (i.e., one god in three persons)? Or, that of HELL and eternal damnation (i.e., an underworld of pain and suffering, etc.)

Old 11-02-2021, 08:33 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
For people will be … lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.[/i]
I don't know how many times I've ran into someone saying something to the effect of, "I don't need God to tell me how to be a good person". I recall now on Penn and Teller's "Bulls--t" the episode where there was the "perfect" atheist family. An appearance of godliness but denying it's power exactly. Humanism described to a tee (or is it "tea?").

I'm sure you have the verse where it says, "...they call evil good and good evil". Isn't that the truth when we who are Bible-believing Christians who do not support homosexuality and the related movements are called lovers of hatred and negative things like that. Many times I've wondered at those who say the Bible is a myth, fictitious, doesn't mean anything, yet they are following it's writings as though going along with a script. It amazes me.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:49 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
Several times I’ve used the word “uncanny” to describe how the New Testament description of the End Times matches what we see happening today.

Jesus and the NT authors might have been expected to describe a steady forward march of Christianity until all the world was a Gospel-believing, Spirit-filled utopia. In fact, they described exactly the opposite.

I hate when people string Bible verses, so I won’t beat this to death. The following snippets from the NT serve to make my point about the state of Christianity in the End Times:
  • False Christs and false prophets will arise and will provide great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.
  • At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
  • For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
  • False prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed.
  • In the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be … lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.
  • Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons.
  • I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.
You get the point: In the End Times, the Gospel will be perverted beyond recognition. People will have a form of godliness but none of its power. They will accumulate teachers who tell them what they want to hear, who cater to their lusts.

How can anyone be so lacking in discernment that he or she fails to see this is what is happening all around us? How can anyone with the slightest modicum of discernment fail to connect the dots?

The Gospel has been twisted into a feel-good message of “tolerance” for everyone and everything that completely guts it of any notion of God’s justice, human sin and God’s judgment. As we see on these forums every day, it’s a message so toothless it isn’t even challenging to atheists!

Those who present the actual Gospel message, on the other hand, are attacked by the promoters of these alternative Christianities and atheists alike! They are dinosaurs, out of touch with modern “enlightened” thinking.

Every one of these alternative Christianities distorts the Gospel message in ways that rob it of its truth, of its saving power. They uniformly make a mockery of the actual Gospel. 50% of the Gospel is no Gospel at all.

I have only one explanation: I believe supernatural evil has been unleashed to an unprecedented degree and a veil of delusion has descended over mankind. We see it not only in the perversion of the Gospel but in the almost wholesale collapse of Judeo-Christian morality in an astonishingly short time. Consistent with my increasing turn toward Calvinism, I suspect God may simply have abandoned the unsaved to their own lusts and their twisted notions of the Gospel. I believe we are solidly in the End Times.

Dont forget however, that God does have a people in the last days of this world, and He identifies it beyond doubt so that all honest hearted individuals can come to Him.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Don't forget however, that God does have a people in the last days of this world, and He identifies it beyond doubt so that all honest hearted individuals can come to Him.
It won't be through the Jehovah Witness and Watchtower Society.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:51 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Dont forget, however, that God does have a people in the last days of this world, and He identifies it beyond doubt so that all honest-hearted individuals can come to Him.
Jesus said how His followers would be identified - by their love for one another. Your benighted organization exhibits no love and employs considerable use of fear, judgment, and coercion hardly identifiable as Christ's followers by your love.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:20 PM

299 posts, read 104,209 times
Quote:
Several times I’ve used the word “uncanny” to describe how the New Testament description of the End Times matches what we see happening today.

Jesus and the NT authors might have been expected to describe a steady forward march of Christianity until all the world was a Gospel-believing, Spirit-filled utopia. In fact, they described exactly the opposite.

I hate when people string Bible verses, so I won’t beat this to death. The following snippets from the NT serve to make my point about the state of Christianity in the End Times:
  • False Christs and false prophets will arise and will provide great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect.
  • At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
  • For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.
  • False prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed.
  • In the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be … lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power.
  • Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons.
  • I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.
You get the point: In the End Times, the Gospel will be perverted beyond recognition. People will have a form of godliness but none of its power. They will accumulate teachers who tell them what they want to hear, who cater to their lusts.

How can anyone be so lacking in discernment that he or she fails to see this is what is happening all around us? How can anyone with the slightest modicum of discernment fail to connect the dots?

The Gospel has been twisted into a feel-good message of “tolerance” for everyone and everything that completely guts it of any notion of God’s justice, human sin and God’s judgment. As we see on these forums every day, it’s a message so toothless it isn’t even challenging to atheists!

Those who present the actual Gospel message, on the other hand, are attacked by the promoters of these alternative Christianities and atheists alike! They are dinosaurs, out of touch with modern “enlightened” thinking.

Every one of these alternative Christianities distorts the Gospel message in ways that rob it of its truth, of its saving power. They uniformly make a mockery of the actual Gospel. 50% of the Gospel is no Gospel at all.

I have only one explanation: I believe supernatural evil has been unleashed to an unprecedented degree and a veil of delusion has descended over mankind. We see it not only in the perversion of the Gospel but in the almost wholesale collapse of Judeo-Christian morality in an astonishingly short time. Consistent with my increasing turn toward Calvinism, I suspect God may simply have abandoned the unsaved to their own lusts and their twisted notions of the Gospel. I believe we are solidly in the End Times.
The human mind has a marvelous talent for finding patterns and connections. It saved our ancestors' bacon every day. That subtle movement in the tall grasses, the call of a nearby bird, are they part of a pattern that includes a leopard that is stalking me? The wise bushman will back away, even if he's uncertain that the leopard is really there. Sometimes we find patterns and connections that aren't there, but that's just the way it goes when you have a human mind.

That is what you are doing - - seeing patterns and connections that aren't there. The way I know that is because people in every generation between John of Patmos' and Tim LaHaye have applied the images in Revelations to the things and events of their own time.

John's visions were about his time. Not Tertullian's, not Luthers, and not ours. The unholy monster was the hated Roman Empire, and the beast was Nero Caesar. The exploding mountain was the catastrophic eruption of Vesuvius in 79 CE, and so forth.

I suggest some scholarly reading on the subject of Revelations. Don't limit it to authors that will support your views. Take a clean look, and you'll find a pattern that makes more sense.

Last edited by Arizona Humphrey; 11-03-2021 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-03-2021, 03:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:

Sure is starting to look that way, isn't it?

Old 11-03-2021, 03:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus said how His followers would be identified - by their love for one another. Your benighted organization exhibits no love and employs considerable use of fear, judgment, and coercion hardly identifiable as Christ's followers by your love.
pot...kettle....

Old 11-03-2021, 03:18 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times
What I find humorous about this type of thinking is that after such horrific things in the past such as the Atlantic slave trade ( 20 million or so slaves ), nuclear war on Japan, Gods own church torturing and killing people in his name , various genocides throughout history, the Holocaust , etc, that what really gets these types worked up into an End Times frenzy is non marital sexual activity and homosexuals .

Really ? Creating 20 million slaves in the good old USA in the Bible Belt and killing 6 million Jews didn’t do it, but gay guys getting to live together legally is the sign the world is coming to an end ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity