Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 11:12 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

I refer readers back to my post #6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 11:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I refer readers back to my post #6.
And that make about as much sense as when Leighton Flowers said some people are simply choice meats.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:21 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And that make about as much sense as when Leighton Flowers said some people are simply choice meats.
So you say. But it is a fact that biblically speaking, God' choice, before either Esau or Jacob were born was to use Jacob rather than Esau as the one through whom Israel, and ultimately, Jesus, would come into the world. The passage has nothing at all to do with God literally hating Esau and loving Jacob. Neither had even been born yet.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
So you say. But it is a fact that biblically speaking, God' choice, before either Esau or Jacob were born was to use Jacob rather than Esau as the one through whom Israel, and ultimately, Jesus, would come into the world. The passage has nothing at all to do with God literally hating Esau and loving Jacob. Neither had even been born yet.
Yes. His choice was to use and love Jacob and his descendants. That's a fact seen throughout Scripture. Even when Jacob was doing Jacob things, sinning and living like scoundrel, God chose to love him.

The Bible tells us also that we are all born as children of wrath, and no one seeks God. We have to reconcile those facts, Mike. We just can't get around it. God chose Jacob, not Esau. And the apostle Paul even answers the objection in Romans 9, stating that no, God is not unjust, but will do what he wants with his creation.

We can either believe God is God and will do what he wants, or we can believe he isn't.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:31 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Why do you believe sinners are his children? Jesus told the Pharisees that their Father was the devil.
I believe that all of humanity are God's children. He is the Father of the spirits of all mankind.I believe Jesus was speaking figuratively, as the devil doesn't have the capability of fathering spirits.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I believe that all of humanity are God's children. He is the Father of the spirits of all mankind.I believe Jesus was speaking figuratively, as the devil doesn't have the capability of fathering spirits.
That's kind of a non-sequitur. No one actually believes Jesus was speaking of Satan fathering a spirit. On the other hand, he said that Satan is their Father, and we read in other passages that men are sinners prior to Jesus, and must be born again.

Do you simply disregard that?

Old 03-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
That's kind of a non-sequitur. No one actually believes Jesus was speaking of Satan fathering a spirit. On the other hand, he said that Satan is their Father, and we read in other passages that men are sinners prior to Jesus, and must be born again.

Do you simply disregard that?
What exactly do you believe Satan fathered? He obviously didn't father their mortal bodies; their parents did. Fathers have to father something; otherwise they would not be fathers. Who do you believe was "the father of spirits"? The Bible says it was God.

I agree that we must be born again.

Old 03-17-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What exactly do you believe Satan fathered? He obviously didn't father their mortal bodies; their parents did. Fathers have to father something; otherwise they would not be fathers.
Sin. He's the one who tempted Adam. And Adam became his child when he sinned. His descendants inherit that sin nature.

Quote:

Who do you believe was "the father of spirits"? The Bible says it was God.
You mean Hebrews 12:9? You realize that the verse in question was writing to believers, right?
Quote:
I agree that we must be born again.
Why? If we are already children of God, what does that accomplish?

John 1:12-13 says it is when we become children of God. But if you think we are already children of God, why is it necessary?

Old 03-17-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Why do you believe sinners are his children? Jesus told the Pharisees that their Father was the devil.
Because He was the Father of their spirits. He was the one who gave them life. Besides, aren't we all sinners? Is no one a child of God, in your opinion?

Old 03-17-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Sin.
The devil is the "father of sin"? I guess that works as a metaphor, but I don't believe we the devil is our father, and all of us have sinned.
Quote:
He's the one who tempted Adam. And Adam became his child when he sinned. His descendants inherit that sin nature.
I'm afraid we're going to have to agree to disagree on that, BF.

Quote:
You mean Hebrews 12:9? You realize that the verse in question was writing to believers, right?
We all owe our lives, our very being, to God -- even the worst among us.

Quote:
Why? If we are already children of God, what does that accomplish?

John 1:12-13 says it is when we become children of God. But if you think we are already children of God, why is it necessary?
We're all His children, but all have sinned and fall short of His glory. We need to become new creatures in Christ. That's what I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity