Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 08:14 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weird. Scripture actually never shows that. Nowhere in Scripture do we see any unbeliever being baptized. But it's interesting that you go back to a verse from Ezekiel to supposedly demonstrate Christian baptism as regenerative.
Of course I did not begin with a presupposition that baptismal regeneration is sound doctrine.

I actually started with the presupposition that it was false doctrine.

But when I came to understand the biblical teaching on the matter, I changed my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 08:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Of course I did not begin with a presupposition that baptismal regeneration is sound doctrine.

I actually started with the presupposition that it was false doctrine.

But when I came to understand the biblical teaching on the matter, I changed my mind.
2 forum members I would be tempted to put my house on that you both would agree on most things, but apparently not. One a professing Calvinist the other in denial that he is.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:42 PM

Calvinists believe that regeneration comes before faith. I do not.

I hold to what it says in Romans 5:1-2 on the issue.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Calvinists believe that regeneration comes before faith. I do not.

I hold to what it says in Romans 5:1-2 on the issue.
Practically, but not effectively. Or is it effectively but not practically?

I've heard the illustration that it's only prior to in the way that the light doesn't come on until I hit the light switch. We don't believe without God regenerating.

But if you believe baptism does that, then you are simply transferring the power from the Spirit doing the washing to physical water. Same thing. No one believes until they're regenerated.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Practically, but not effectively. Or is it effectively but not practically?

I've heard the illustration that it's only prior to in the way that the light doesn't come on until I hit the light switch. We don't believe without God regenerating.

But if you believe baptism does that, then you are simply transferring the power from the Spirit doing the washing to physical water. Same thing. No one believes until they're regenerated.
We have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand (Romans 5:2); and are we not regenerated by the grace of God (Titus 3:4-7)?

Therefore, since grace comes before regeneration, but faith comes before grace, it follows that faith comes before regeneration.

faith ---> grace ---> regeneration.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:51 PM

425 posts, read 191,422 times
If Calvinism is true, and I had to choose an example- Hophni and Phinehas seem to be it.

1 Samuel 2;17 17 This sin of the young men was very great in the Lord’s sight, for they[a] were treating the Lord’s offering with contempt.

1 SAMUEL: 22 Now, Eli was very old, and he had heard everything that his sons were doing to all Israel and that they were sleeping with the women who served at the gate of the tent of meeting. 23 So he asked them, “Why are you doing such things? I hear about your wicked ways from all these people. 24 Sons, the report that I hear the people of the Lord spreading isn’t good! 25 If one person sins against another, God will take care of him. However, when a person sins against the Lord, who will pray for him?” But they wouldn’t listen to their father’s warning—the Lord wanted to kill them.

I've studied but cannot find what curse this is to be. All I see is God choosing Jacob over Eli regarding a covenant of sorts as Jacobs 12 children are chosen as the 12 Tribes of Israel. I don't know what happened to Eli.

Regarding Esau, he appeared to repent in the end and forgive his brother Jacob. I hardly see that as some kind of predestination to hell (which is a doctrine of demons imho)

Old 03-26-2022, 03:02 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,692,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
2 forum members I would be tempted to put my house on that you both would agree on most things, but apparently not. One a professing Calvinist the other in denial that he is.
Interesting isn’t it? And I put it down to one is a Pentecostal and the other a Baptist so they have different teachers and perspectives by design, it has to to with the natural, earthly, religious diversity (that was foretold from the beginning ‘Genesis’)

Old 03-26-2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorYetRich View Post
I hardly see that as some kind of predestination to hell (which is a doctrine of demons imho)
In Jude 1:3-4, it says that there are certain false teachers who are "foreordained to this condemnation".

Sounds like the doctrine is biblical to me.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
In Jude 1:3-4, it says that there are certain false teachers who are "foreordained to this condemnation".

Sounds like the doctrine is biblical to me.
You will never learn you will year ? You cannot read a word like condemnation, perish, judgement, wrath and the like without thinking of the hell you fear.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You will never learn you will year ? You cannot read a word like condemnation, perish, judgement, wrath and the like without thinking of the hell you fear.
I'm not afraid of hell....I know that I'm not going there.

But I do fear that some of the people that I know and love and care about (including yourself) may be going there...

So I work to bring them into a living and saving faith in Jesus and what He did for them on the Cross.

I do believe that the Lord will hear my prayers concerning them (1 John 5:14-15, 2 Peter 3:9).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity