Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 02:15 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There is no whatever about it. A man with a beam in his eye is as good as blind and when he makes a judgement of another he is proving that he is blind to everyone other than himself.

again, have you ever known anyone or heard of them having a literal beam in their eye ? Jesus exaggerated what he was saying to make a point.

https://www.phillipsforestproducts.c...cts/wood-beams
How does a man with a beam in his eye see a speck in his brother's eye, if his eye is singular and there is a beam in it?

He might try to remove the speck using the sight of his other eye; but he will not see clearly enough to remove the speck until both of his eyes are unobstructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 02:27 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The law of the New Testament.

Heb 7:12, For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
Heb 7:13, For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
Heb 7:14, For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
Heb 7:15, And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
Heb 7:16, Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

Gal 5:16, This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17, For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18, But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19, Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24, And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

The law of the NT consists of vices to be avoided and virtues to be exemplified.

Vices to be avoided:

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Virtues to be exemplified:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Again, you are quoting things written to converts of Judaism where every single Jewish believer became even more zealous to keep the law, you take this out of context, rippiing it from the religion it was talking about.

How is it that you arent in the same religion as Jesus, Paul, the disciples and every Jewish and Israeli believer?

Why did Paul continue walking in the laws of Moses?

If I follow Paul's actual life, I would be zealous in following the laws of Moses like every single Jewish and Israeli believer in Jesus.

You take things written as if they were not written to converts of Judaism as if your modern Christianity could possibly fit in the new Testament.

If you are continously quoting an Israeli believer in Christ who never left Judaism, and never stopped keeping the laws of Moses, why arent you in the same religion?

They were going to kill Paul several times because it had been rumored that Paul was teaching against Moses, and Paul had to prove that he never left Judaism, that he never stopped following the laws of Moses.

Which is it?

Did Paul ever leave Judaism, did Paul ever stop keeping the laws of Moses?

Yes or no?
Answer the question.

Did Paul continue following Judaism and did he continue keeping the laws of Moses in Zeal?
Yes, he did, but everything you present tries to prove otherwise. If Paul continued following Moses and keeping the laws, why do you keep quoting him?

You are quoting a man who practiced Judaism and who was zealous to keep the law, why dont you call him a Judaizer?

And again, you have no law, what you present is not a law, if it was, you sure missunderstand.

Where in your new law are you allowed to keep the holy days, traditions and ritials of Baal?

Old 05-31-2022, 03:12 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
How does a man with a beam in his eye see a speck in his brother's eye, if his eye is singular and there is a beam in it?

He might try to remove the speck using the sight of his other eye; but he will not see clearly enough to remove the speck until both of his eyes are unobstructed.

Do you not see the exaggeration of the beam and speck of dust in what Jesus is saying? The speck of dust is not even a big deal, stop taking it literal, how could you possibly have what we all know a beam literally is, lodged in your eye?
It really is no different from he that is without sin let him cast the first stone. You would not even have a stone in your hand if you were aware of a beam in your own eye.

It is absolutely absurd to believe Jesus is teaching take the plank out of your own eye to remove the speck of dust in your brothers eye. Notice, he never says a single thing to the brother with a speck of dust in his eye. One is blind to what he is, the other is troubled by what is in his eye. Massive difference.
It is no coincidence that Jesus is using "the eye" to make a point. Why didn't he just say why are you beholding a minor fault with your brother when you have major faults with yourself?

Old 05-31-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Ok, whatever.

I think that everyone has two eyes and that the Bible doesn't contradict that.

I will agree that when it is speaking of a singular eye, that it is the mind's eye that is being spoken of.

I'm not certain that you can show that it is speaking of the mind's eye in Matthew 7:1-5, Luke 6:41-42.

I think that in those verses the Lord has it in mind that everyone has two eyes.

How else does someone who has a beam in his eye, see the speck in his brother's eye?

If he only had one eye, he would be completely blinded! And would not even be able to see a speck in his brother's eye.

Judge not, that ye may not be judged
, 2for in what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged, and in what measure ye measure, it shall be measured to you. 3‘And why dost thou behold the mote that [is] in thy brother’s eye, and the beam that [is] in thine own eye dost not consider? 4or, how wilt thou say to thy brother, Suffer I may cast out the mote from thine eye, and lo, the beam [is] in thine own eye? 5Hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then thou shalt see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.

Jesus leaves us in absolutely no doubt that this discourse is not about how to judge a brother....... Judge not that ye may not be judged. Could He have been anymore clearer? So the bottom line is, why would you even want to judge your brother's fault(we all are guilty at times of it) knowing full well that we place ourselves under judgement.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:24 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
For the stone will cry out from the wall and a beam shall answer from the timbers about your house.

Ah, well, that saying is always with me.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:13 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
To me it is blatantly obvious that Jesus is saying

1 - You have no right to judge your brother while you have a beam in your eye.

2 - If anyone should be doing the judging out of the hypocrite with a beam in his eye and the brother with a speck of dust, it has got to be the brother with the speck of dust in his eye. He not only can see better, which means he is more likely of the 2 to judge righteously.

Tell me this, can the brother with the speck of dust who can see the beam in his brothers eye, judge him because of it ? Also, tell me why Jesus is addressing the brother with the beam in his and not the brother with the speck of dust?

It is quite obvious that Jesus is exposing the hypocrisy of judging a brother period unless it is with righteous judgement, and that kind of judgement is never by appearance.

That passage from Jesus says nothing about judging ones brothers. Its about helping ones brothers serve God correctly, And by example is the best teacher by removing the beam from your own eye.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
That passage from Jesus says nothing about judging ones brothers. Its about helping ones brothers serve God correctly, And by example is the best teacher by removing the beam from your own eye.
Oh no ?

Judge not, that ye be not judged
. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye

Old 05-31-2022, 06:00 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Oh no ?

Judge not, that ye be not judged
. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye
Kjw said the same thing you did

You - Jesus leaves us in absolutely no doubt that this discourse is not about how to judge a brother

Kjw - That passage from Jesus says nothing about judging ones brothers

Maybe it depends on who you consider your brother is? If you are brethren?

Old 05-31-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Kjw said the same thing you did

You - Jesus leaves us in absolutely no doubt that this discourse is not about how to judge a brother

Kjw - That passage from Jesus says nothing about judging ones brothers

Maybe it depends on who your brother is? If you are brethren?
I think he is meaning, correcting your brother because of his fault is not judgement, it is love. I cannot read that passage of scripture to mean anything other than, if you are beholding your brothers fault you are doing so because you have a beam in your eye, it is not your job to fix anyones fault other than your own. It is in no way a teaching on how to remove a beam from your own eye to remove a speck of dust from your brother's.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:24 PM

327 posts, read 132,466 times
Quote:

The other person always has the speck. The reader always has the beam.
Jesus is explaining that your issues are huge and others issues are always just a speck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity