Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 10:06 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
It happened in 1903. Spurgeon had died in 1892 and the old lady died in 1903. As soon as she met up with him in that Age, she reminded him of how wrong he had been. That's when she told him to blow the pizza he was eating out of his arse.

The angels laughed.
Another made up story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 10:44 PM

6,791 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Actually, we're told in scripture that there will be a 'new earth' created from the 'old earth' once it's been cleansed and purified by (a 'physical?) fire. We're told that it's on this new and improved earth that the righteous will live. This fire (and its positive eternal consequences) may well equate to biblical 'hell-fire'. It's for sure that THIS particular fire blows mainstream Christianity's 'eternal torment in hell' out of the water. No such place of horror could ever exist in such a tranquil and idyllic setting such as 'the new earth' promises.

That said, the cynical side of me wonders how long it will be before greed once again infects the 'new' human race?

Old 07-05-2022, 11:27 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Actually, we're told in scripture that there will be a 'new earth' created from the 'old earth' once it's been cleansed and purified by (a 'physical?) fire. We're told that it's on this new and improved earth that the righteous will live. This fire (and its positive eternal consequences) may well equate to biblical 'hell-fire'. It's for sure that THIS particular fire blows mainstream Christianity's 'eternal torment in hell' out of the water. No such place of horror could ever exist in such a tranquil and idyllic setting such as 'the new earth' promises.

That said, the cynical side of me wonders how long it will be before greed once again infects the 'new' human race?
In Revelation 21:5, after men have been cast into the lake of fire (in Revelation 20:10-15), Jesus says, "Behold, I make all things new."

So, that would indicate that, if the lake of fire, as the second death, were going to be destroyed, that it would be destroyed at this juncture, would it not?

However, just a few verses later, in Revelation 21:8, we find that the lake of fire and its punishment is still there in full force, albeit in another dimension, as I see it.

Revelation 20:10 also defines what it means to be cast into the lake of fire.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:09 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Some people can water down the prophecies, but the lake is a bonus, for all the lost people who suffered so far as this would be the end of any suffering ....... God provides the second death for all lost people where the spirit of their existence comes to an end and the suffering ends ............ See the body dies, and the soul dies, but the spirit of humans lives on to this second death where it too dies and the existence of people is finished

Old 07-06-2022, 10:28 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
St. Thomas Aquinas asked this question in Question 97, Article 5 of the Summa. He concludes "yes" based on the fact that the wicked will be thrown into the lake of fire after the bodily resurrection.

St. Alphonsus Liguori also addresses this question in his short work, What Will Hell Be Like:

Let us now treat of the pains of Hell, and first of all, of that of sense. St. Thomas proves that the fire of Hell is a corporeal and material fire, though for the most part he does not write of the fire which torments the souls separated from their bodies, but of that which the damned are to endure after their corporeal resurrection. Many heretics have maintained that the fire of Hell is not material, but only metaphorical or imaginary fire. There are numerous texts in Sacred Scripture, however, which demonstrate that the fire of Hell is a true, material and corporeal fire. We read, for instance, in the book of Deuteronomy: "A fire is kindled in my wrath, and shall burn even to the lowest hell." (Deut. 32:22). And in the book of Job: "A fire that is not kindled shall devour him" (Job 20:26), revealing that this fire of Hell needs not to be nourished, but, once enkindled by God, burns eternally. There are a number of passages in the book of Isaias referring to this fire of Hell: "Which of you can dwell with devouring fire? which of you shall dwell with everlasting burnings?" (33:14); "Their worm shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched, and they shall be a loathsome sight to all flesh." (66:24). "He will give fire, and worms into their flesh, that they may burn, and may feel forever." (Judith 16:21).

Old 07-06-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

If it's a physical ETERNAL fire, then there must be an endless supply of fossil/bio fuels, right?
Not if it's a supernatural fire kindled by God.

From What Will Hell Be Like by St. Alphonsus Liguori:

We read, for instance, in the book of Deuteronomy: "A fire is kindled in my wrath, and shall burn even to the lowest hell." (Deut. 32:22). And in the book of Job: "A fire that is not kindled shall devour him" (Job 20:26), revealing that this fire of Hell needs not to be nourished, but, once enkindled by God, burns eternally.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:59 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

If it's a physical ETERNAL fire, then there must be an endless supply of fossil/bio fuels, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Charles Spurgeon was preaching a Sermon on hell; that there there is wailing and gnashing of teeth; to which an old woman said, "What about me? I don't have any teeth!"

To which he replied,

"For you, madame, teeth will be provided!"

(apply it to your question).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Not if it's a supernatural fire kindled by God.

From What Will Hell Be Like by St. Alphonsus Liguori:

We read, for instance, in the book of Deuteronomy: "A fire is kindled in my wrath, and shall burn even to the lowest hell." (Deut. 32:22). And in the book of Job: "A fire that is not kindled shall devour him" (Job 20:26), revealing that this fire of Hell needs not to be nourished, but, once enkindled by God, burns eternally.
I think ya'll missed I was just funning with ya!

Old 07-06-2022, 11:55 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
physical fire.
When people die they aren't physical beings anymore. You can't burn a spirit.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
When people die they aren't physical beings anymore. You can't burn a spirit.
This is true; but the lake of fire is where the resurrected damned are sent, so they do have bodies.

The lake of fire is the second death, not the first.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:09 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This is true; but the lake of fire is where the resurrected damned are sent, so they do have bodies.

The lake of fire is the second death, not the first.
I'll give you guys credit. You always have an answer, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity