Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 01:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I was stating an example..... Holy water has nothing to do with communion....

Water becomes "holy" when blessed.

Here's a better example that is related to communion: wine. Wine becomes the Blood of Christ when it is blessed or when the priest says the words at the altar reminding us what Jesus said to his disciples.
Nope. Wine is wine. It doesn’t become anything else just because words were uttered over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 01:16 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau424 View Post
lonely? The holy spirit and i meditating together in pure bliss, in deep reflection of the life of jesus? Nope.
k

Old 12-13-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Nope. Wine is wine. It doesn’t become anything else just because words were uttered over it.
In the beginning, there was nothing. Then God spoke, and there was something.

Don't underestimate the power of Λόγος (Logos).

When Jesus speaks, creation obeys.

"Drink ye all of this. For this is my blood of the new testament, which shall be shed for many unto remission of sins."

Old 12-13-2022, 03:07 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was very hurt that she decided to announce her "word of knowledge" to a carful of my peers. She was not a close friend of mine at all.

I was very hurt by her actions. I did confront her with it. I really felt that she said it as she did because she wanted in some way to hurt me.

I am still not sure why. She was super spiritual and more interested in showing off her gifts, than in the feelings of others.
I did see this dynamic a bit during my brief time as a bemused observer of Charismatic Christians. It is entirely possible for dysfunctional people to use the gifts as a sort of "holy gaslighting" to manipulate or to harm others, and/or for self-aggrandizement.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
I have a daughter who was hospitalized with a life threatening health issue when she was in middle school.. and at the time, our family was very involved in our church. During my kid's (long term) hospitalization, no one from our church ever called us, or visited her. It was obviously a trying time for us, and my distress was compounded by my congregation's absence.

This didn't weaken my belief in God, but it definitely black-pilled me on my specific church. They failed to support us, and it made me feel we had been part of a fraudulent community..

Old 12-13-2022, 03:47 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This, you need to take up with Paul.

1 Corinthians 11:23-29:

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread. And giving thanks, broke, and said: Take ye, and eat: this is my body, which shall be delivered for you: this do for the commemoration of me. In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. For as often as you shall eat this bread, and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come. Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.
I think Compwiz said he was [once?] a [real-presence] Lutheran?

Quote:
Only time I've ever felt "hurt" was when a Catholic priest refused to give me the wafer during communion when my wife and I got married. We told him I was confirmed as a Lutheran and was not Catholic.
Still, I don't get his re:wedding communion issue as it should have been well known beforehand if it was a proper Catholic (his wife) wedding in the Catholic church this all would have been well discussed in going thru all the Catholic wedding preparation with the parish/priest before the wedding mass.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:51 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
"Drink ye all of this. For this is my blood ..."
Right, as though Jesus promoted cannibalism

No, he said to eat (the bread) and drink (the wine) in remembrance of his body and blood that were soon to be sacrificed to allow us salvation through him.

He would never have us drinking his blood and eating his body, as savages.

We use our minds for remembrance, not our mouths and throats!

Old 12-13-2022, 04:00 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No, he said to eat (the bread) and drink (the wine) in remembrance of his body and blood that were soon to be sacrificed to allow us salvation through him.
Paul makes it pretty clear that it's more than just bread & wine:
1 Corinthians 11:29&30

Last edited by CCCyou; 12-13-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

No, he said to eat (the bread) and drink (the wine) in remembrance of his body and blood that was soon to be sacrificed to allow us salvation through him.

Off topic, so I responded in another thread.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:31 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
But you don't believe that anyone outside yourself has spiritual authority, do you?
And you define "authority" as....?
There is such a thing as sharing ideas, beliefs and information. Someone saying "I believe this because..." or " I like this because..."

Such is the framework for all knowledge, education, academic growth even

Then there are church bullies, who call someone and say "Well I don't believe that so you cannot do it"
Let me be clear that the situation I referenced was of that nature.

Similarly, there was that ban in high school by our Baptist church at Halloween. The JayCees ran an awesome Haunted House in a vacant property across town. It was a fund raiser. Some blowhards at our church told us that we were not to go; I went anyway They got butt-hurt that I did not obey them, but in my opinion, they had no authority to say what I could or could not do. Opinion yes, right, no.

Such is something that is seen in Fundy churches. Fundy people can be notorious for lacking self love and self esteem. Kind of like Bullies. And the Churches are full of bullies, who seem to think that they have some right to dictate to others how others should live, worship and act. And I simply said then, and now, "No you don't."

Now do other people have spiritual beliefs or experiences? Well, obviously they do. But their choice ends with them, as no one gets to choose how others worship, celebrate or gather. It is a personal choice, and I do not choose to give into personal slavery OR bullies either one.

SO spiritual authority? If you are referring to have to follow some other persons religious or spiritual rules, then no NO one has that authority over anyone

If you are referring to expertise or scholarship, then yes I am willing to share and hear what others believe and say. But I will not tolerate someone calling saying "Oh we heard you were attending such and such event at such and such church and you cannot do that.." Not for one second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity