Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 04:33 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post

I think that is part of what is meant when Paul records in the letter to Timothy (which means dear to God) how he has known the Scriptures/writings from childhood

The traditions and rituals and songs are linked to the information at a very deep unconscious level

It’s part of the composite, the physical/spiritual in one body - communion and communication go together as they are the ‘bread’ and ‘word’

Each part has its own allocation/position/responsibility

Gal 3:24**Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25**But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26**For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27**For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28**There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29**And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Rome is of the law and puts the children under bondage and tutelage - that was the design from the beginning
This is quite interesting what you wrote ^^ there Meerkat -

Catholics (who deeply believe/understand/trust) affirm the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist:
scripture tells us 'and The Word was Made Flesh' and by partaking of His real Flesh, we are receiving His Full Word - Him (that was made flesh)!

However, it would seem that if one cannot receive ALL of His Word(s), nary can that one receive His Flesh - as the twain cannot be separated!

If Timothy did receive his '1st communion' as a child, he would indeed have received The Word (made flesh), complete, from his childhood!

Traditions and rituals - these are like 'choir practice', repeated to train and perfect, so that remaining in perfect tune/frequency becomes an attribute, not a struggle!
Interesting in Exodus 24:11 on consummation of that covenant "they ate and drank" , and even that was before giving them the law!
However choir practice under that covenant exceedingly difficult - nary a one could attain perfect tune.

I do believe that when we pass (from this world), we will certainly be made aware of what truth is already within us,
what truth is missing,
and what was left undone (that could/should have been completed with the time/resources given to us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 07:00 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I find the Mass to be something very special.

When I reflect on the doctrine of transubstantiation while feasting on The Bread of Life,
the absorption of The Word is amplified.

As is my attempt at emulating His sacrificial Love.

Nothing magical about it for me. Just a doctrine that I find enhances the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am not a believer in Transubstantiation, but in my Episcopal Church, the Eucharist was always the highlight of the service, sometimes bringing a strong sense of connection with the others with whom I had just shared the ritual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
This is quite interesting what you wrote ^^ there Meerkat -

Catholics (who deeply believe/understand/trust) affirm the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist:
scripture tells us 'and The Word was Made Flesh' and by partaking of His real Flesh, we are receiving His Full Word - Him (that was made flesh)!

However, it would seem that if one cannot receive ALL of His Word(s), nary can that one receive His Flesh - as the twain cannot be separated!

If Timothy did receive his '1st communion' as a child, he would indeed have received The Word (made flesh), complete, from his childhood!

Traditions and rituals - these are like 'choir practice', repeated to train and perfect, so that remaining in perfect tune/frequency becomes an attribute, not a struggle!
Interesting in Exodus 24:11 on consummation of that covenant "they ate and drank" , and even that was before giving them the law!
However choir practice under that covenant exceedingly difficult - nary a one could attain perfect tune.

I do believe that when we pass (from this world), we will certainly be made aware of what truth is already within us,
what truth is missing,
and what was left undone (that could/should have been completed with the time/resources given to us).

That is the only judgment that will exist and it will NOT be imposed by God. Our ancestors were unable even to conceive of such a thing since ALL consequences (even their own actions, good or bad) were imposed by God's Will in their primitive minds. For some reason that is an enigma to me religions have retained that primitive level of thinking about God!!!

Our God, Abba, is NOT lurking in wait to impose punishments on our misdeeds! He wants us to AVOID ANY negative consequences of what we are BECOMING as any loving parent would, period.

Old 12-13-2022, 03:59 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Right, as though Jesus promoted cannibalism

No, he said to eat (the bread) and drink (the wine) in remembrance of his body and blood that was soon to be sacrificed to allow us salvation through him.

He would never have us drinking his blood and eating his body, as savages.

We use our minds for remembrance, not our mouths and throats!
Jesus uses quite strong language in John 6 in answer to the very objections you are raising - the scandal of eating His flesh and drinking His blood.

We can use our mouths and throats for remembrance in addition to our minds. The mind and body work together and do not exclude one another.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Yes? No?
Nope. It's just not Biblical.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Jesus uses quite strong language in John 6 in answer to the very objections you are raising - the scandal of eating His flesh and drinking His blood.

We can use our mouths and throats for remembrance in addition to our minds. The mind and body work together and do not exclude one another.
Except he really doesn't. He actually says what it means to consume him -- and it means to trust in him. It's spiritual. It's not physically eating his flesh.

I highly doubt you'll watch this and I can't really blame you. It's a long video from a different point of view. But I want to post this because it is by a very accomplished scholar that goes verse by verse through John 6 and gives a proper understanding of it.

https://www.aomin.org/aoblog/roman-c...man-catholics/

Old 12-14-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
You could eat a ritz cracker and drink a Dr. Pepper in remembrance of Jesus if that was all you had on hand. It has nothing to do with the elements of communion but everything to do with the heart ♥️ of the believers.
You can and should remember Jesus no matter what you're doing, even eating crackers and drinking soda.

But crackers and soda is not sacramental Communion. It can never become the Body and Blood of Christ, and it certainly has no place in the liturgy.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
You can and should remember Jesus no matter what you're doing, even eating crackers and drinking soda.

But crackers and soda is not sacramental Communion. It can never become the Body and Blood of Christ, and it certainly has no place in the liturgy.
That's the thing. Nowhere in Scripture do we see the sacerdotal system. Nowhere is the idea that grace is a substance that is communicated to us via things or objects. And certainly not by eating bread and drinking wine.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except he really doesn't. He actually says what it means to consume him -- and it means to trust in him. It's spiritual. It's not physically eating his flesh.

I highly doubt you'll watch this and I can't really blame you. It's a long video from a different point of view. But I want to post this because it is by a very accomplished scholar that goes verse by verse through John 6 and gives a proper understanding of it.

https://www.aomin.org/aoblog/roman-c...man-catholics/
Thanks for sharing the video. I'm familiar with James White. His amicable demeanor helps me to overlook a lot of his goofy claims, and as a result I find him somewhat tolerable

Old 12-14-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I understand that there are many possible interpretations of the Scripture itself. John 6 is a difficult passage, full stop.

The fundamental thing with me is this: Literally every single Christian writer who addressed the topic of Communion for the first 1500+ years of Christianity held to the Catholic view - that the elements really and truly become the Body and Blood of Christ.

There is no semblance of the contemporary Protestant idea of Communion anywhere in Christian thought until after the Reformation. It's an objective novelty by any measure.

Was everybody wrong for 1500+ years? Why are the modern Protestant theologians more reliable and trustworthy than everyone else in history?

Old 12-14-2022, 02:13 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,380,351 times
Quote:
That's the thing. Nowhere in Scripture do we see the sacerdotal system. Nowhere is the idea that grace is a substance that is communicated to us via things or objects. And certainly not by eating bread and drinking wine.
WHAT?
In Hebrews, Paul explicitly shows us 'with a change in the priesthood, comes a change in the law'.
Paul does NOT say that priesthood is being eliminated NOR does he say that the law is eliminated.
He concludes with "WE have an ALTER from which 'those who minister at the tabernacle' have no right to eat."

How do you see these verses, BF ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity