Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 08:48 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1689dave View Post
tran·sub·stan·ti·a·tion

/ˌtran(t)səbˌstan(t)SHēˈāSH(ə)n/

Learn to pronounce

noun CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY

(especially in the Roman Catholic Church) the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining.
No complaints here...

Quote:
Which denies Jesus came in the flesh = a doctrine of the Antichrist according to John. “For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.” 2 John 7 (KJV 1900)

That is, He did not come as a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine.
Your conclusion here is so illogical as to border on insane. It does not follow from the premise in any sense.

No faith is as profoundly Incarnational as the Catholic Faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:53 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
tran·sub·stan·ti·a·tion

/ˌtran(t)səbˌstan(t)SHēˈāSH(ə)n/

Learn to pronounce

noun CHRISTIAN THEOLOGY

(especially in the Roman Catholic Church) the conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into the body and blood of Christ at consecration, only the appearances of bread and wine still remaining.

Which denies Jesus came in the flesh = a doctrine of the Antichrist according to John. “For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.” 2 John 7 (KJV 1900)

That is, He did not come as a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine.
Certainly not as a bottle of Boone's Farm. Bleck!!!

Old 06-16-2022, 10:30 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
No complaints here...
Your conclusion here is so illogical as to border on insane. It does not follow from the premise in any sense.
No faith is as profoundly Incarnational as the Catholic Faith.
Sadly, the Catholic Church has so egregiously misinterpreted the Gospel of Christ and His simple request that we REMEMBER His sacrifice to our ancestors' wrath and vengeance with all manner of magical thinking! They simply did NOT fully grasp the actual implications of the True Gospel that Jesus IS God incarnate. It was effectively concealed under our ancestors' irrational blood sacrifice rationale of appeasing their wrathful War God.

To be fair, they had high-minded goals and aspirations about revering God and His "Holiness" as they tried to RECONCILE the irrational and illogical use of the "appeasement by blood sacrifice" rationale of our ignorant primitive ancestors with the "unconditional love and forgiveness" for our ignorance of Jesus (God Himself) on the Cross. Nevertheless, they should have long ago recognized that such reconciliation of that barbaric rationale with the revelations of Jesus was simply NOT doable in light of our ancestors' misinterpretations.

The fundamental context that has produced such a truly astounding menagerie of religious beliefs about God has been the primitive and, frankly childish, notion that God is wrathful and vengeful and displeased with us for not obeying Him. That is like our children thinking that we are wrathful and vengeful for their disobedience when we try to correct them. We want them to mature and develop into successful adults, NOT obedient slaves.

Why we would continue to think God would want anything less from us is a mystery to me. Sin is just the selfish lack of agape love and concern for the deleterious effects of our actions and attitudes on ourselves and others, period! It is not some high-minded supreme offense to God's "Holiness" deserving of punishment, IMNSHO!!! (Of course, to fully appreciate the truth of this, you would have to have encountered the "unimaginable" love of God.)

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-16-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-16-2022, 10:44 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,000 times
God reconciles with a human when that human accepts example of Christ Jesus to be worthy of and good and willing to follow the example.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:04 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Certainly not as a bottle of Boone's Farm. Bleck!!!
Apple wine! Memories of drinking in the woods behind the high school as a teenager. Bleck is right.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:30 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Apple wine! Memories of drinking in the woods behind the high school as a teenager. Bleck is right.
I woke up one night hugging the tire on someone's car after drinking that stuff and feeling kind of sick. Trying to fit in with the crowd I hung out with for a time as a teen.

Old 06-18-2022, 04:51 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
I find the Mass to be something very special.

When I reflect on the doctrine of transubstantiation while feasting on The Bread of Life,
the absorption of The Word is amplified.

As is my attempt at emulating His sacrificial Love.

Nothing magical about it for me. Just a doctrine that I find enhances the experience.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:55 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

When I reflect on the doctrine of transubstantiation while feasting on The Bread of Life,

Nothing magical about it for me. Just a doctrine that I find enhances the experience.
I am not a believer in Transubstantiation, but in my Episcopal Church, the Eucharist was always the highlight of the service, sometimes bringing a strong sense of connection with the others with whom I had just shared the ritual.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

This is how I feel about it basically.

I am a convert so I've "had it both ways." For me, the Mass and the Real Presence is much, much more meaningful. I mean, I always loved communion but now it feels like the very pinnacle of my faith.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:56 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is how I feel about it basically.
I am a convert so I've "had it both ways." For me, the Mass and the Real Presence is much, much more meaningful. I mean, I always loved communion but now it feels like the very pinnacle of my faith.
Hope that makes sense.

For the last 20 years or so, I've needed the Eucharist.
It has sustained me through some trying times - sometimes being the only thing I could look forward to in a week, and strengthening me to get thru the following one!

Great readings at the mass this weekend, btw - timely too:
Gn 14:18-20
Ps 110:1, 2, 3, 4
1 Cor 11:23-26
Lauda Sion
Jn 6:51
Lk 9:11b-17

link - https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/061922.cfm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity