Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 12:00 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have you read Hebrews? The entirety of the book is about how Christ is BETTER. Better than the Law, better than angels, better...better...better.

Hebrews 10:11-14: "And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified."

Now...I know that you'll say that the RCC priests don't make another sacrifice, but merely "re-present" the body of Christ. But it was never for them to do in the first place. Jesus himself offered his body as the sacrifice, then sat down. He is done working. Where the priests never sat down, but had to stand every day...Jesus was one and done. HE is our priest, not a man.
Actually, Hebrews 5-10 meticulously details how the Order of Melchizedek is and always was superior to the Order of Aaron/Levite,
and that the latter fades away, leaving us with Christ as our High Priest:

"When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well." Hebrews 7:12
"On that day, says the LORD of hosts, the peg fixed in a firm place shall give way, break off and fall, and the weight that hung on it shall be done away with" Isaiah 22:25

So yes, the Aaronic/Levitical 'peg' gave way, and all the old system of bloody sacrifices 'done away with', to make way for the new:

'on that day' Christ, whom 'all authority in heaven and earth has been given to ',
now as King and High Priest, according to the Order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 7:15-22 - PS 110:4),
places on Peter's shoulder the 'keys to the house of David', (Mat 16:19 - Isaiah 22:22)
ordains the Twelve (John 13:1-20)
and 'brings forth bread and wine' to establish a NEW covenant in His body and His Blood - (Luke 22:19,20) - Genesis 14:18),
and commanding them to 'do this in memory of me' (Luke 22:19 - Exodus 12:24)
and confers a kingdom onto them (Luke 22:29-30)
even after resurrection reminds Peter to 'Feed my Lambs, Tend my Sheep, Feed my Sheep' (John 21:15-17)

so yes, a BETTER priesthood, and a better/PERFECT HIGH Priest -
That's right - Christ, the Alpha and the Omega, showing the end from the beginning -Gen 14:18 !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 12:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Actually, Hebrews 5-10 meticulously details how the Order of Melchizedek is and always was superior to the Order of Aaron/Levite,
and that the latter fades away, leaving us with Christ as our High Priest:

"When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well." Hebrews 7:12
"On that day, says the LORD of hosts, the peg fixed in a firm place shall give way, break off and fall, and the weight that hung on it shall be done away with" Isaiah 22:25

So yes, the Aaronic/Levitical 'peg' gave way, and all the old system of bloody sacrifices 'done away with', to make way for the new:

'on that day' Christ, whom 'all authority in heaven and earth has been given to ',
now as King and High Priest, according to the Order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 7:15-22 - PS 110:4),
places on Peter's shoulder the 'keys to the house of David', (Mat 16:19 - Isaiah 22:22)
ordains the Twelve (John 13:1-20)
and 'brings forth bread and wine' to establish a NEW covenant in His body and His Blood - (Luke 22:19,20) - Genesis 14:18),
and commanding them to 'do this in memory of me' (Luke 22:19 - Exodus 12:24)
and confers a kingdom onto them (Luke 22:29-30)
even after resurrection reminds Peter to 'Feed my Lambs, Tend my Sheep, Feed my Sheep' (John 21:15-17)

so yes, a BETTER priesthood, and a better/PERFECT HIGH Priest -
That's right - Christ, the Alpha and the Omega, showing the end from the beginning -Gen 14:18 !!
Yes. Jesus is a better high priest. and he made one sacrifice for all time. No other priests needed, no other sacrifice, and no re-presenting of the sacrifice needed. He accomplished it all once and for all, and is now seated at the right hand of God to intercede for us.

Honestly...as a teenager reading Hebrews for the first time, I was amazed at how it invalidated the RCC priestly system. The priest is simply no longer needed because we have a high priest-- Jesus. I have no idea how you can quote from Hebrews and still hold to the idea.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:36 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Honestly...as a teenager reading Hebrews for the first time, I was amazed at how it invalidated the RCC priestly system. The priest is simply no longer needed because we have a high priest-- Jesus. I have no idea how you can quote from Hebrews and still hold to the idea.
Is there a possibility that you could be reading it wrong?

Hebrews has been right there in our Catholic Bibles for 2,000 years, and it's never been seen as problematic.

I mean for goodness sake, Luther wanted to chunk Hebrews because he thought it was too Catholic.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:21 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Yes. Jesus is a better high priest. and he made one sacrifice for all time. No other priests needed, no other sacrifice, and no re-presenting of the sacrifice needed. He accomplished it all once and for all, and is now seated at the right hand of God to intercede for us.

Jesus indeed is the Perfect High Priest :
"It was fitting that we should have such a high priest: holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners, higher than the heavens." Heb 7:26
and yes,
"He has no need, as did the high priests, to offer sacrifice day after day, first for his own sins and then for those of the people; he did that once for all when he offered himself."

So yes, HE is indeed complete in HIS role.

Then there is the matter of OUR role, OUR part in His ministry (Heb8:6):
And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers,
to equip the holy ones for the work of [HIS] ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ,
so that we may no longer be infants, tossed by waves and swept along by every wind of teaching arising from human trickery, from their cunning in the interests of deceitful scheming.
Rather, living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ,
from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, with the proper functioning of each part, brings about the body’s growth and builds itself up in love.
Ep4:11-16
and,
"do this in 'remembrance'- (ἀνάμνησιν {anamnēsin})* of me" (Luke 22:19)

* ἀνάμνησιν (anamnēsin)"
Cognate: 364 anámnēsis (from 363 /anamimnḗskō, "bring to mind")
– properly, deliberate recollection, done to better appreciate the effects (intended results) of what happened;
active, self-prompted recollection especially as a memorial (memorial sacrifice).

Last edited by CCCyou; 11-18-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 02:18 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am literally in study day and night drinking the milk of the word and eating of the flesh of Jesus, the meat of the word.

If I love my neighbor more than myself and I show love where I want to show hate, its because I believed Jesus and took in his own nature of self sacrifice, and that is the point of blood and flesh, we study the meat and take in his nature.

It has never been about blood or flesh.

Its what they represent.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:24 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Have you read Hebrews? The entirety of the book is about how Christ is BETTER. Better than the Law, better than angels, better...better...better.

Hebrews 10:11-14: "And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified."

Now...I know that you'll say that the RCC priests don't make another sacrifice, but merely "re-present" the body of Christ. But it was never for them to do in the first place. Jesus himself offered his body as the sacrifice, then sat down. He is done working. Where the priests never sat down, but had to stand every day...Jesus was one and done. HE is our priest, not a man.
The thing is some, if not most on this forum whose posts I have read do not believe that all of the Scriptures are inspired. They get to pick and choose which are and which are not. On the other hand, they elevate the church fathers to be equal to or above the Scriptures.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:42 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The thing is some, if not most on this forum whose posts I have read do not believe that all of the Scriptures are inspired. They get to pick and choose which are and which are not.
You are projecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
On the other hand, they elevate the church fathers to be equal to or above the Scriptures.
We use the Church Fathers to gain insight into how the Scriptures ought to be interpreted.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:46 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Jesus indeed is the Perfect High Priest :
"It was fitting that we should have such a high priest: holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners, higher than the heavens." Heb 7:26
and yes,
"He has no need, as did the high priests, to offer sacrifice day after day, first for his own sins and then for those of the people; he did that once for all when he offered himself."

So yes, HE is indeed complete in HIS role.

Then there is the matter of OUR role, OUR part in His ministry (Heb8:6):
And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers,
to equip the holy ones for the work of [HIS] ministry, for building up the body of Christ,
until we all attain to the unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the extent of the full stature of Christ,
so that we may no longer be infants, tossed by waves and swept along by every wind of teaching arising from human trickery, from their cunning in the interests of deceitful scheming.
Rather, living the truth in love, we should grow in every way into him who is the head, Christ,
from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, with the proper functioning of each part, brings about the body’s growth and builds itself up in love.
Ep4:11-16
and,
"do this in 'remembrance'- (ἀνάμνησιν {anamnēsin})* of me" (Luke 22:19)

* ἀνάμνησιν (anamnēsin)"
Cognate: 364 anámnēsis (from 363 /anamimnḗskō, "bring to mind")
– properly, deliberate recollection, done to better appreciate the effects (intended results) of what happened;
active, self-prompted recollection especially as a memorial (memorial sacrifice).
The transubstantiation is a REAL spiritual event NOT merely remembrance. We have to achieve a genuine resonance with Christ's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness on the Cross in our consciousness. Our "eating and drinking" is all about our spiritual state of mind (aka our spirit).

God IS Spirit, God is Holy so God IS His Holy Spirit. They are not separate "persons." We are developing spirits in our physical bodies. Our consciousness is supposed to be "born again" as a spirit on our physical death.

At least one human has to achieve perfect resonance (IDENTITY) to connect our spirits with God's Holy Spirit. The rest of our spirits can just be at least harmonically resonant with God's Holy Spirit.

We were failing miserably that is why God incarnated into human form as Jesus to bring His Holy Spirit to humanity. Jesus developed His human consciousness perfectly into IDENTITY with God's Holy Spirit something none of us were capable of.

That is why Jesus "sits at the right hand of God" among the collective human spirits. His human "born again" Holy Spirit did not just merge back with God losing its human connection. He remains within the collective human spirits connecting them permanently with God and as the Comforter guiding the consciousness of those who are alive.

That is how Jesus is the Way to God and why our consciousness has to become resonant with His Holy Spirit to ensure we are with Him when we physically die and are "born again" as spirit. Note the important factor here is the state of mind of our consciousness with respect to His Holy Spirit, NOT what we believe ABOUT Him and God or any of the other "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 11-18-2021, 02:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
I grew up Catholic. I've listened to countless hours of Catholic apologists. I know what the teaching is probably better than most. Please don't assume that I don't know.
Then you know we're not sitting around eating pieces of flesh like you said earlier. Why did you say that?

Old 11-18-2021, 02:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Seriously? Is that not what this entire thread and discussion has been about? You really don't know what we base that belief on?

Have CCCyou, Kathryn, NatesDude, and myself just been typing into the void this whole time?
Apparently so. I am not going to keep repeating myself or others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity