Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 02:38 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
On the other hand, if we just believe that there is power in the elements itself, and that it has less to do with the heart of the person partaking, we can see that it would cause one to tend to simply do it in a rote, ritualistic way.
There is power in the elements themselves - power to bring about life or death as Paul warns in 1 Corinthians 11. The state of the heart of the one partaking is of utmost importance! The two are not in opposition.

Anything can be done in a rote, ritualistic way. That in and of itself has no bearing on the validity or inherent appropriateness/inappropriateness of said thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 02:50 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
This is a nonanswer from you. You are not addressing what I said. Why tell me to read it better when I am giving you the biblical facts that disciples left Jesus over his words? Why not address that, or address Ignatius, instead of just proclaiming I am reading it wrong? The Bible says the disciples that left understood it this way. Why did the disciples leave grumbling that it was impossible to eat Jesus’s flesh? Why did the disciple of the writer of John believe it became Jesus’s flesh, which he clearly states it does?

You might try addressing the actual points I made. I’m not offering my opinion on what the verses mean, I am giving examples of how the people of Jesus' day took his words to be literal because they heard him say it himself, or they learned it from an Apostle.
The apostles were carnal natural men, Nate, not spiritual at all. They could not grasp the spiritual reality of it so they just had to suck it up and accept what Jesus said as fact because He was clearly the Son of God. Those who left were too carnal-minded to do that and Jesus knew it. Not everyone is ready to accept spiritual reality even today.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:22 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Pretty sure it's a rules violation to misrepresent people. I'm not Catholic. And you know that. It's rude and obnoxious to suggest I am.
Yea, you are right, please forgive me.

Bout to go crazy today I think.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:32 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have focused on the central issue, BapFun. IT IS about what the individual receiving the communion evokes within their consciousness that matters and is the actual purpose of the remembrance. But it's also a spiritual reality NOT merely a symbolic remembrance.

Unfortunately, a carnal mind simply cannot wrap itself around the spiritual reality of the transubstantiation any easier than it can comprehend the difference between a natural body and a spiritual body.
Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at the manner in which you so completely and rudely disregard anything that anyone says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I just complimented you for recognizing the real issue about communion and you insist on seeing rudeness and disregard in it. Your prejudice against me is beyond the pale, BapFun. Get some help.
Yeah, that exchange had me scratching my head. First that you gave BF props, lol, and secondly that he took what you said as an insult when it was the opposite.

Ah, R&S.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:20 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, that exchange had me scratching my head. First that you gave BF props, lol, and secondly that he took what you said as an insult when it was the opposite.

Ah, R&S.

Pavlovian response. Woof, woof, woof .

I guess he needs to change his tag line

Old 11-17-2021, 05:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Ah, R&S.
I'm sorry I just saw the "carnal mind" blather and couldn't help myself. It's what he does. Repeatedly. Nonstop. If not insulting me, it's someone else.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
There is power in the elements themselves - power to bring about life or death as Paul warns in 1 Corinthians 11. The state of the heart of the one partaking is of utmost importance! The two are not in opposition.

Anything can be done in a rote, ritualistic way. That in and of itself has no bearing on the validity or inherent appropriateness/inappropriateness of said thing.
No. Paul does not say that.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:37 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,814 times
Quote:
I'm sorry I just saw the "carnal mind" blather and couldn't help myself. It's what he does. Repeatedly. Nonstop. If not insulting me, it's someone else.

"Well I was wrong but you still suck".

LOL.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
He's not insulting me. Ever. Not once.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
No. Paul does not say that.
Actually, he does. From 1 Cor 11:

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. 31 But if we were more discerning with regard to ourselves, we would not come under such judgment. 32 Nevertheless, when we are judged in this way by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be finally condemned with the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity