Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 06:53 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or that the way it is recorded is the way it was said?

My old priest once pointed out that an hour after we leave, we're not going to be able to say word for word what he said today and will only remember about half of it anyway, even if we were listened.

Nobody was recording Jesus word for word. Each author wrote down what they remembered he'd said or what they were told another person remembered he said and how each author interpreted it.
Boy, ain't that the truth? In my opinion, it's utter nonsense for any of us to get so worked up over the exact verbiage of text attributed to Jesus. I mean, it's only logical for us to form our own opinions and to live our lives according to the opinions we've formed, but for crying out loud, let's be reasonable! I think that on threads like this one, people tend to get so worked up that they decide they simply aren't going to just let go and move on. They are absolutely determined to have the last word that nothing's going to stop them. And they figure that if they just say, "Enough. I'm done," that their opponents are just going to claim victory and accuse them of running away with their tail between their legs. What are we -- a bunch of eight-year-olds at recess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 06:59 PM

1,799 posts, read 561,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Boy, ain't that the truth? In my opinion, it's utter nonsense for any of us to get so worked up over the exact verbiage of text attributed to Jesus. I mean, it's only logical for us to form our own opinions and to live our lives according to the opinions we've formed, but for crying out loud, let's be reasonable! I think that on threads like this one, people tend to get so worked up that they decide they simply aren't going to just let go and move on. They are absolutely determined to have the last word that nothing's going to stop them. And they figure that if they just say, "Enough. I'm done," that their opponents are just going to claim victory and accuse them of running away with their tail between their legs. What are we -- a bunch of eight-year-olds at recess?

Im 9 actually

In reality, I just enjoy poking fun at pompous Christians who seem to think their word is the final say on any subject, and once they have posted , that is The Way Things Are. What I say is sincere , and factual and legitimate to my knowledge, but said largely to pop the gas filled pomposity of a few here.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:59 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Im 9 actually

In reality, I just enjoy poking fun at pompous Christians who seem to think their word is the final say on any subject, and once they have posted, that is The Way Things Are. What I say is sincere, and factual and legitimate to my knowledge, but said largely to pop the gas-filled pomposity of a few here.
Apparently, while popping the gas-filled pomposity of others you are oblivious to your own gas-filled pomposity that fuels your judgmentalism as if that is The Way Things Are.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:43 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Im 9 actually

In reality, I just enjoy poking fun at pompous Christians who seem to think their word is the final say on any subject, and once they have posted , that is The Way Things Are. What I say is sincere , and factual and legitimate to my knowledge, but said largely to pop the gas filled pomposity of a few here.
You see yourself as sincere, factual and legitimate to the best of your knowledge. That’s great! We have that in common. I see myself in the same way. Our motives are very different though. I’m not here to poke fun at anyone. I do love getting into the nitty gritty of the word, and to look at every aspect of a topic. It’s how I learn. That’s my motive.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Apparently, while popping the gas-filled pomposity of others you are oblivious to your own gas-filled pomposity that fuels your judgmentalism as if that is The Way Things Are.

I just give facts and ask questions . For example , I have been asking here why followers would leave if the interpretation of Protestants is correct , when the Protestant version is obviously what they wanted to believe ? I’ve also pointed out what the churches formed under the Apostles believe , and what a bishop of the early church wrote regarding the Eucharist . None of this is opinion , none relies on my interpretation . None of it relies on my belief that I have some special insight into How the Bible Must Be Interpreted and Believed

Last edited by NatesDude; 11-17-2021 at 04:55 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or that the way it is recorded is the way it was said?

My old priest once pointed out that an hour after we leave, we're not going to be able to say word for word what he said today and will only remember about half of it anyway, even if we were listened.

Nobody was recording Jesus word for word. Each author wrote down what they remembered he'd said or what they were told another person remembered he said and how each author interpreted it.
Not so Mighty Queen. God’s pen men spoke/wrote by inspiration.

2 Peter 1
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
You see yourself as sincere, factual and legitimate to the best of your knowledge. That’s great! We have that in common. I see myself in the same way. Our motives are very different though. I’m not here to poke fun at anyone. I do love getting into the nitty gritty of the word, and to look at every aspect of a topic. It’s how I learn. That’s my motive.
My comment was made in context about , maybe, 3 or 4 posters on the forum who feel their words on any subject should be the end of the discussion, with sort of a “why are you continuing to disagree with me when I have clearly spoken and explained How Things Are ?” attitude. A couple of the others are self proclaimed geniuses who resort to suggesting those who disagree with the are just too stupid to understand how correct the geniuses are . And I do love interacting with these folks

The rest of the forum , no , just normal but interesting discussions . In that vein, and back to the subject, what is your opinion on an appointed Bishop of the church that was a personal student of the writer of the Gospel of John understanding his teachers words , one that he studied under daily , to mean the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist ? Speaking about Ignatius of Antioch here . The Bishop who studied in person with the writer of the Gospel we are discussing didn’t understand what his own teacher meant , after years studying under him and getting to talk with and ask questions in person?

Last edited by NatesDude; 11-17-2021 at 05:18 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 06:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
My comment was made in context about , maybe, 3 or 4 posters on the forum who feel their words on any subject should be the end of the discussion, with sort of a “why are you continuing to disagree with me when I have clearly spoken and explained How Things Are ?” attitude. A couple of the others are self proclaimed geniuses who resort to suggesting those who disagree with the are just too stupid to understand how correct the geniuses are . And I do love interacting with these folks
I'll speak up - I don't mind discussing and debating things but I find ARGUING (and poor debate skills along with arrogance) to be very, very distasteful, especially on a Religious forum and ESPECIALLY among Christians. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:

The rest of the forum , no , just normal but interesting discussions . In that vein, and back to the subject, what is your opinion on an appointed Bishop of the church that was a personal student of the writer of the Gospel of John understanding his teachers words , one that he studied under daily , to mean the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist ? Speaking about Ignatius of Antioch here . The Bishop who studied in person with the writer of the Gospel we are discussing didn’t understand what his own teacher meant , after years studying under him and getting to talk with and ask questions in person?
I understand what you are saying, and speaking for myself only, it is very hard sometimes to maintain an attitude that would be pleasing to God.

I think your question about Ignatius is a very good one, and I would be happy to discuss him with you. But before I do, I would like for you to address my concerns, which I’ve brought up more than a few times with you. Where in the Scriptures to we see a priesthood separate and apart from all other Christians presiding over the communion? In other words, what does the priest have to do with transubstantiation? Where does the RCC and its priests get this authority from?

Old 11-17-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'll speak up - I don't mind discussing and debating things but I find ARGUING (and poor debate skills along with arrogance) to be very, very distasteful, especially on a Religious forum and ESPECIALLY among Christians. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
If by arguing, you mean people making personal attacks when someone disagrees with them I agree. And I think every single one of us has been guilty of doing that at some point in this forum. It’s something we all need to work on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity