Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,511,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I think it is interesting how fundamentalist christians say..God told me this or that, God revealed this to me, God showed me this,etc. Then years later, their views completely change. People so dogmatic,so sure of themselves, so adamant that they heard from God. Are you really hearing from God or is it your own ego wanting to justify your belief and prove other`s wrong? I think we should all have an open mind and not be so quick to judge others. Even atheist are so sure about their beliefs, unwilling to even consider another point of view. When it comes to God,the universe,how it all happened,where we are going,where we came from... nobody can be absolutely, dogmatically, 100 percent sure. This isn`t directed to anyone in particular. I`ve been there myself. I`m just sayin
On the contrary .... one can be "absolutely, dogmatically, 100 percent sure."

Those who say one can't usually stems from the fact that they no longer trust God and finds this question viable ... "Did God really say",

but as you said: This isn`t directed to anyone in particular..... I`m just sayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,505,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
On the contrary .... one can be "absolutely, dogmatically, 100 percent sure."

Those who say one can't usually stems from the fact that they no longer trust God and finds this question viable ... "Did God really say",

but as you said: This isn`t directed to anyone in particular..... I`m just sayin
On the contrary...I believe in God. But you`ve proven my point..just sayin

Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,275 times
REPLY TOmari4him FROM BREADCRUMB (iambreadcrumb@yahoo.com.au) 17 July 2013

I'D LIKE TO REPLY TO mari4him (MINE IN CAPS TO NUMBER #) IN BRIEF TO THESE OBJECTIONS FROM MY OWN UNIQUE FIRST CENTURY PERSPECTIVE.

I have a couple of questions for you. Lets say you are right, which I don't believe you are, but lets say you are. On that premise, 1) ALL prophecies were fulfilled in 70 AD, thus

REPLY #1) YES THAT IS CORRECT. OBSERVATION FAVORS A C.1ST FULFILMENT OF ALL PROPHECY. MTT 23:35-36; 24:1-2;34 ALL THINGS COME ON THIS GENERATION. MK 13:30 THIS GENERATION NOT PASS TILL ALL BE FULFILLED. LK 21:22 THESE ARE DAYS OF VENGEANCE ALL THINGS WRITTEN FULFILLED. AGAIN LK 21:32 THIS GENERATION WON'T PASS TILL ALL FULFILLED. ACTS 3:24 ALL PROPHETS FROM SAMUEL FORETOLD THESE DAYS. 1 COR 10:11 US UPON WHOM HAS COME ENDS OF AGES. 1 PET 1:12 PROPHETS SERVED YOU.
these things were for 2) those of that day and not for or about us.
REPLY #2) YES, WHAT IT SAYS IS TRUE. THINGS PROMISED IN WRITING TO THE PEOPLE IN THE C.1ST APPLIED TO THEM, NOT TO US, THAT IS WHY THEY WERE TO 'COMFORT ONE ANOTHER WITH THESE WORDS.' 1 THESS 4:18

Thus this means then the saints were resurected and gathered up meeting Jesus. 3)

REPLY #3) YES THIS IS CORRECT. THE C.1ST MODEL WORKS ON THE PRINCIPLE THAT PROMISES MADE TO PEOPLE IN THE C.1ST GENERATION IN A C.1ST BOOK WERE FULFILLED TO THEM. SO I UNDERSTAND 'WE WHO ARE ALIVE AND REMAIN WILL BE CAUGHT UP…' MUST BE EXPLAINED IN THE C.1ST 'BIBLICALLY', SOMEHOW

They would have reigned with Jesus 4)

REPLY #4) CORRECT. (SEE ABOVE) JESUS WAS REIGNING FROM ACTS 2:29. THE EPHESIANS WERE 'RAISED UP & SITTING IN HEAVENLY PLACES' ALSO EPH 2:6 1 COR 15:25 HE MUST [CONTINUE] TO REIGN, BECAUSE JESUS' RESURRECTION WAS 'THE FIRST RESURRECTION.' COL 1:5 WHICH JAMES EXPLAINS CHRISTIANS AS 'THE FIRST FRUITS OF THE RESURRECTION...' JAS 1:18

1000 years, according to the prophecies in Scripture. And, during this 1000 years, satan was chained and bound, no longer able to deceive the nations. After these 1000 years, satan would then "be set free for a 'short' time". So, if this is all so and if it has all occured already. If the prophecies were fulfilled in 70 AD, the 1000 year reign of Christ and binding of satan would have all occured, 5)

REPLY #5) YES. THIS 'SATAN BOUND' NOTION WOULD LOGICALLY FOLLOW IN THE C.1ST. EVIDENCE OF THIS C.1ST SITUATION IS PLENTIFUL. MTT 12:29 SATAN CAST OUT, LK 10:18 SATAN FELL, JN 12:31 SATAN CAST OUT; 16:11 SATAN JUDGED, SATAN SOON TO BE BRUISED. ROM 16:20

then this would have taken us to the year 1070 AD. (fulfilment of the 1000 years taken literally to mean 1000 years) Why then is there no accounting of this incredible time in our history? 6)

REPLY #6) GREAT POINT. THE 'ACCOUNTING' MUST BE FACTORED IN, AND AS YOU SAY. FUTURISM FAILS, AND MUST LOOK THE WRONG WAY AS BOTH 1000 AD AND 2000 AD FAILED. THERE IS AN OPTION HOWEVER, TO JESUS BEING A FALSE PROPHET, AND IT IS NATURAL AND UNIQUE TO THE C.1ST MODEL. JESUS' FORETOLD THE TEMPLE DESTRUCTION EXACTLY 1000 YEARS AFTER ITS CONSTRUCTON IN THE FIRST MILLENIUM BC. (LOOKING BACKWARDS FROM JESUS' TIME GIVES US CONTEXT.) IT IS A FACT SOLOMON'S TEMPLE WAS CONSTRUCTED 930 BC. JESUS' TEMPLE PROPHECY & HIS FIRST RESURRECTION OCCURRED 960 YEARS LATER IN AD 30. 40 YEARS AFTER THAT (40=A PERIOD OF TRIAL) IN AD 70 THE TEMPLE WAS DESTROYED & PROPHETIC SIGN FULFILLED; TOTAL 1000 YEARS. ALSO, THIS SIGN OCCURRED ON THE SAME DAY AS THE FIRST TEMPLE WAS DESTROYED IN 586 BC. (10th DAY OF MONTH OF AB. ALSO IN AD 70 THE WALLS WERE BREACHED ON THE SAME DAY AS IN 586 BC, 17th OF TAMUZ ). THIS ATISFIES THE CONTEXT IN WHICH JESUS LIVED, PROPHESIED, DIED, AND WHAT ‘SHORTLY’ CAME TO PASS IN THE C.1ST.

...Why is there no account of such time in our history where the signs as given in Matthew 24:29-31 where it states that immediately after the period of tribulation, "the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven"? Where is the accounting for the anti-christ that was prophasized would come? 7)

REPLY #7) a) THEY ARE ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE C.1ST. FOR EXAMPLE THE ANTICHRIST YOU SEEK IN THE C.21ST WAS PRESENT WHEN JOHN WROTE IN THE C.1ST. CHECK IT OUT HERE. (1 JN 2:18; AGAIN IN 1 JN 4:3.) THE FUTURE VIEW OF BIBLICAL LANGUAGE IS UNFORTUNATELY LIMITED TO ONE LITERAL MEANING, BUT JESUS SPOKE IN FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE JN 16:25-29. "THESE THINGS I HAVE SPOKEN TO YOU IN FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE." THE 'ACCOUNTING' YOU DESIRE IS NOT ALWAYS CONCRETE, PHYSICAL , AND ONLY LITERAL. THERE ARE 1,189 CHAPTERS IN SCRIPTURE. OF THESE I COUNT ABOUT 530 CHAPTERS (APPROX 42%) CONTAIN FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE (FROM JOB ALL THE POETIC CHAPTERS AND ALL THE PROPHETIC CHAPTERS ISAIAH TO MALACHI, THEN MTT, MK, LK, PLUS 22 CHAPTERS IN REVELATION). b) ALL OF THESE SIGNS ARE ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE C.1ST WITNESS OF JOSEPHUS. (CF. WARS) c) A C.1ST VIEW SAYS CHRISTIANS WERE IN TRIBULATION IN THE C.1ST:- DISCIPLES IN TRIB. JN 16:33; ROMANS IN TRIB. ROM 5:3; CORINTHIANS IN TRIB. 2 COR 1:4; 7:4; THESSALONIANS IN TRIB. 1 THESS 3:4. JOHN AND THE SEVEN CHURCHES IN TRIB. REV 1:9.

If after this 1000 year reign of Christ occured, satan would be released for a "short" time. (Considering the term "short" in light of how you continuously claim it to be by man's understanding of time)...Why then has satan been then released for 938 years? Do you consider 938 years to be a "short" time? 8)

REPLY #8) GOOD POINT. THE TERM 'A SHORT TIME' FITS A C.1ST MODEL OF ENDTIME. A ‘SHORT TIME’ IS CONVERTIBLE WITH; 1260 DAYS, TIMES, TIME HALF A TIME, 3 1/2 DAYS, 42 MONTHS. THIS IS CONVERTIBLE TO THE THREE AND A HALF YEAR HORROR FROM 66 1/2 AD TO AD 70. THIS ALSO EXPLAINS THE 1000 YEAR REIGN OF DIVORCED 'HOLY CITY' JERUSALEM, JER 3:1-10 /REV 11:1-2; TITLED 'HARLOT' NEARLY UNIVERSALLY IN THE OT. (CF. ISAIAH 1:21, JEREMIAH 3, EZEKIEL 16:15,16,17,20,25,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,38,41 ; 23:3-5, 7,8,14,18,19,27,30,44; HOSEA 1:2; 2:2,4,5; 3:1,3: 4:10,11,12,13,14,15,18; 5:3,4; 6:10; 9:1.) A 'SHORT TIME' FITS A C.1ST MODEL 66 ½-70 AD.

And, if you don't deny the existence of satan/of evil and corruption in our world today, 9)

REPLY #9) FOR MYSELF I DON'T NEED AN HYPOTHESIS OF SATAN TO EXPLAIN MY SINFUL BEHAVIOR. FOR ME I SIN WHEN 'IAM CARRIED AWAY BY MY OWN LUSTS AND ENTICED.' JAS 1:14 . SATAN AS A SUFFICIENT AND NECESSARY CAUSE FOR PHENOMENA LIKE THE EGO-MANIA OF NAPOLEON AND HITLER AND MY OWN EGO-CENTRIC SHORTFALLS ARE BEST EXPLAINED BY EGO AND CAUSE-EFFECT (SOWING-REAPING) RELATIONS.

then do you call God a liar when He stated that upon Christ return we would be with Christ, that the old would be passed away and we would behold a new heaven and new earth FREE of corruption and FREE of sin? 10)

REPLY #10) LIKE YOU I ALSO WISH FOR CERTAINTY, BUT I FIND IT IS JUST MY OWN WISH. BIBLICAL IDEAS MUST BE PLACED INTO A CONTEXT OF THE FACTS OF; TIME, PLACE, CIRCUMSTANCE, IDENTITY AND CAUSATION. WE CANNOT IGNORE THESE OBSERVATIONS FROM THE WORD OF GOD. MAKING A CONTEXT OUT OF THINGS WE MIGHT WISH FOR OFFERS US PSYCHOLOGICAL COMFORT -AS AN EARTH-CENTERED UNIVERSE- BUT DISREGARDS OBSERVABLE FACTS OFFERED ABOVE.

Also, according to some of what you said, if I am not mistaken, it appears you believe that man would die, be raised up and yet die again, since these resurrected saints obviously are not walking among us today. Therefore... How do you explain that in Hebrews it clearly tells us that "it is appointed for a man to die once, but after this the judgment"? How do you explain that in Hebrews it also tells us that "Christ was offered ONCE to bear the sins of many" and that upon His second coming the world would experience life without sin and with the fulfillment of true salvation? How do you again explain that there is still sin in the world as we know it today? 11)

REPLY #11) a) CONTEXTUALLY THE JUDGEMENT IS TIED TO JESUS' COMING IN CLOUDS AT THE END OF THE MOSAIC TEMPLE (MTT 24:1-3) WHEN THE MOSAIC COVENANT/AGE WAS JUDGED (NOT WORLD BUT GREEK. AIOON). THE UNIVERSAL JUDGMENT IS RELATED TO THAT GENERATION - MTT 10:15; 11:21-23' 12:40-42; 23:35; LK 11:50FF; 13:28 ETC . THE FACTS SUGGEST A MODEL IN THAT GENERATION LOOKS LIKE THIS __________________+______X. AD 70 END OF TEMPLE/AGE /JUDGEMENT
b) FORCING BIBLICAL TERMS -SIN AND DEATH -TO BE ONLY LITERAL MIGHT GET YOU INTO A TANGLE BY NOT BEING ACCOUNTABLE TO BIBLICAL IDEAS. YOU ARE WAITING FOR THE ABOLITION OF DEATH IN THE C.21ST. FOR EXAMPLE DEATH WAS ABOLISHED IN THE C.1ST, PAST TENSE. "BUT NOW HAS BEEN REVEALED BY THE APPEARING OF JESUS WHO ABOLISHED DEATH.." 2 TIM 1:10. AGAIN WE SEE HOW BIBLICAL TERMS HAVE THEIR OWN MEANINGS. EG. "WE KNOW NO ONE WHO IS BORN OF GOD SINS.' 1 JN 5:18 BUT WE KNOW THIS CANNOT BE LITERAL.

Furthermore, during the days of Jesus and the diciples the written word was in fact the OT and considering that the NT was written after Jesus, what do you make of when Jesus states "as it was written". Isn't it clear that the fulfilment Jesus speaks of is in direct relationship to the OT as the OT is the only thing that was "written" while Jesus was here?

And, if all was fulfilled by 70 AD, meaning nothing left to fulfill, then what about all those who have died for the cause of Christ since then? All those who are considered martyrs for the cause, the faith, are all their deaths simply in vain? I mean if all was fulfilled, what exactly was the purpose of them going out, being persecuted and laying down their lives for the cause of Christ? 12)

REPLY #12) GREAT AND VITAL POINT. LET’S TRY THE LOGIC OF FUTURISM. THE ISSUE: JESUS' INTEGRITY. THE PRINCIPLE: IF JESUS CANNOT FULFILL PROMISES TO A C.1ST GENERATION HE CANNOT FULFILL THEM TO A C.21ST GENERATION. IF JESUS CAN FULFILL PROMISES TO A C.1ST GENERATION HE CAN FULFILL THEM TO A C.21ST GENERATION. JESUS MIGHT BE A GOOD CHAP, BUT GOOD CHAPS KEEP THEIR PROMISES TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY MAKE THEM. THE FACTS: "TRULY I SAY TO YOU, YOU [CAIAPHAS] SHALL SEE THE SON OF MAN COME IN CLOUDS." (MTT 26:64) THE RULE: OBJECTIVE TRUTH IS A CORRESPONDENCE BETWEEN STATEMENT AND FACT IN THE SAME TERMS. APPLY RULE TO FACT: JESUS PROMISED A FIRST CENTURY HIGH PRIEST HE WOULD SEE HIM COME IN CLOUDS IN HIS LIFETIME. MTT 26:64 A C.1ST MODEL AFFIRMS THIS OCCURRED THEREFORE JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD, THEREFORE A REASONABLE BASIS OF HOPE. BUT FUTURISM DENIES A C.1ST APPEARING, THEREFORE JESUS IS NOT THE SON OF GOD – AN UNREASONABLE BASIS OF HOPE. CONCLUSION: A C.1ST END TIME MODEL ACCURATELY ALLOWS JESUS THE MEANINGS OF HIS OWN WORDS. MTT 26;64 “YOU WILL SEE ME..” IF THIS WAS TRUE IN THE C.1ST, THEN ALL LATER MARTYRS WERE JUSTIFIED IN THEIR HOPE. IF FUTURISM IS ACCURATE, THEN NO LATER MARTYR WAS JUSTIFIED. A C.1ST MODEL EXPLAINS C.1ST PROMISES FROM A C.1ST BOOK IN A C.1ST GENERATION. THIS IS SIMPLICITY OF PREMISE.

Furthermore, what is the point of any of us preaching the Gospels to anyone? Why should any of us seek to expand the Kingdom of God if all has already been fulfilled and there is no further hope of Christ's return for all of us who came after 70 AD? 13)

REPLY #13) AGAIN AN IMPORTANT POINT AND THE SAME PRINCIPLE - C.1ST WORDS (WORLD) HAVE C.1ST MEANINGS. WHY? BECAUSE C.1ST WORDS HAVE C.1ST MEANINGS ACCORDING TO THE STATE OF KNOWLEDGE AT THE TIME. QUOTE. "THE EASTERN WORLD WAS VERY SMALL IN THE TIME OF CHRIST...FEW KNEW MORE THAN RUMORS OF ITALY OR GREECE. WORLD REALLY MEANT THE ROMAN EMPIRE AND PARTS OF ASIA..." UNQUOTE. ALEXANDER CRUDEN. CONCORDANCE.

THE PREACHING OF THE GOSPEL TO THE WORLD IS SPOKEN OF IN THE PAST TENSE IN SCRIPTURE. EVIDENCE:- ROM 10:18; 15:19; 16:26; COL 1:5-6; 1:23; 2 TIM 4:17. THE WORLD AS THE C.1ST KNOWN WORLD IS REFERRED TO AT:- LK 2:1; ACTS 17:6; 19:27; 24:5; ROM 1:8; 1 COR 4:9; COL 1:6; 2 PET 2:5 (WORLD USED IN THE SENSE OF AN AGE)

In fact, why do you even worry about whether or not we understand your theology if it really matters not, Christ has already returned, all has been fulfilled and there is nothing left for any of us? No blessed hope, assurance, or expectation of His return. No looking forward to the day that satan will be bound and cast into the pit. No looking forward to this new incorruptible heaven and earth where sin no longer abounds but which is the home of righteousness. 14)

REPLY #14) FORTUNATELY FOR US mari4him, THE EXACT OPPOSITE IS TRUE. IF YOU ACCEPT HE HAS KEPT HIS C.1ST PROMISES TO THE C.1ST GENERATION AS HE SAID HE WOULD, (MTT 23:35-36; 24:1-3; 34; 26:64 ETC) EVERYTHING FOLLOWS :- NEW SPIRITUAL JERUSALEM REPLACED THE OLD EARTHLY JERUSALEM, WITH A HEAVENLY KINGDOM REPLACING A FLESHLY ONE, AN ABIDING ORDER REPLACING ONE THAT WAS SHAKEN, A UNIVERSAL COVENANT REPLACING AN EXCLUSIVE COVENANT, A PERSONAL COVENANT REPLACING A NATIONAL COVENANT, AN ETERNAL COVENANT REPLACING A TEMPORAL COVENANT, AN INTERNAL SPIRITUAL COVENANT REPLACING AN EXTERNAL PHYSICAL ONE : JESUS, INTERNAL, ETERNAL, UNIVERSAL, PERSONAL AND SPIRITUAL. NOW THAT’S A SAVIOUR!

I mean if, all these things have come to pass already, if there is already the new heavens and the new earth where all is incorruptible and sin no longer abides, where death has no sting and victory over all evil has been accomplished, whereby we simply kneel at the feet of Christ in worship all the time, free from tears, free from pain, free from struggles, free from trials and tribulation, then does this truly not portray God to be some sort of cruel puppet master to have those of us, who came after 70 AD, after 1070 AD living here on this corruptible earth where sin does abide, where evil does still show its face and where we still have tears, pain, sufferings, trials and tribulations. Would this all truly not go against the very character of God being loving, forgiving, full of grace and mercy and instead make Him out to be some cruel being watching us struggle or suffer?

REPLY #15) IF YOU LISTEN TO YOURSELF CLOSELY, YOU’LL OBSERVE YOUR OBJECTIONS ARE CONSISTENT WITH EMOTION AND COMFORT WITHOUT A REGARD FOR THE CONTEXT IN WHICH THEY WERE GIVEN. YYOUR OBJECTIONS ARE ALL BASED ON AN ASSUMPTION OF LITERALISM. THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE TELLS US THE OBJECTIONS TO COPERNICUS’ ASTRONOMY WERE ALSO BASED ON EMOTION AND COMFORT ; 'WE ARE THE CENTER, WE ARE STATIONARY, WE MOVE IN NICE ROUND PERFECT CIRCLES ETC.

THE FACTORS OF EMOTION AND COMFORT CANNOT SUBSTITUTE FOR THE HARD FACTS OF; BIBLICAL CHRONOLOGY, BIBLICAL IDENTITY, BIBLICAL CONTEXT (IN THIS CASE THE C.1ST), CAUSATION, AND EVIDENCE OF THE BIBLICAL DEFINITION OF BIBLICAL TERMS, AND, I THINK MOST IMPORTANTLY, DEMONSTRATION THAT SCRIPTURE IS IN AGREEMENT WITH THE FORMAL PRINCIPLES OF RIGHT THOUGHT; TRUE FACTS AND VALID REASONING.

WHILE C.21ST FUTURISM OFFERS A NICE PACKAGE THAT CANNOT BE TESTED, IT DENIES JESUS FULFILLED HIS PROMISES TO THE PEOPLE PROMISED, AND IS PURELY A MENTAL SCHEME BASED ON AN ASSUMPTION LITERALNESS. OPPOSITELY A C.1ST IS SUGGESTED EVERYWHERE BY SPECIFIC C.1ST BIBLE FACTS, EXPLAINS MORE C.1ST BIBLE FACTS, AND MAY BE DEMONSTRATED BY EYE-WITNESS HISTORY IN THE C.1ST. THIS IS WHAT MAKES A C.1ST MODEL MORE OBJECTIVE IN MY VIEW, AND THEREFORE MORE CREDIBLE.
KINDEST REGARDS, BREADCRUMB.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM

email correction on breadcrumbs reply delete au. Correct email [email]iambreacrumb@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 07-15-2013, 10:30 PM

grief gotta proofread better than that; correction- [email]iambreadcrumb@yahoo.com[/email] (how embarrasing :-(

Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,631 times
Thank you fighting for air for stating something that I really wanted to say. This man/woman's accusations were completely illogical. I'm only 14, but let me give this debate a try. The man of lawessness was the insane and very evil emporer Nero. He is also the antichrist. The rebellion that was supposed to occur was the either the attack on jerusalem by the romans, or the inward rebellion of the city where everyone started fighting each other. Now continuing to chapter two the author of the post states that the antichrist will exalt himself over God. Now for one, in Rome the caesar was considered the face of god. That for one would be an acceptable nswer, but there's more. When in jerusalem, caesar desecrated the holy temple of Yahweh and sacrificed pigs and completely ruined it for God. Therefore effectively driving our Father away from his home on earth. A man named Josephus records that there was a blinding light for the space of about a half an hour. Then he literrally heard God say let us get hence. Oh, and btw, John died around AD 64, the AD 95 date was conjured up by deceitful futurists, but I really don't feel like debating that now.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
[mod]personal remarks[/mod] The passages you quote do not disprove preterism. You focus on only one part of the passage and toss aside and neglect the rest that doesn't jive with what you believe. Look ... I'm not a preterist ... I am very open to wherever the truth lies... be that preterism, futurism, historicism. I just get sick and tired of your spiritual elitism and selective reasoning of biblical text.

DOTL .. You are either completely ignorant of the truth or are just flatly rejecting any evidence that doesn't jive with what you want to believe. There is evidence of a post AD 70 writing for Revelation but there most definitely is no "proof" that Revelation was written post AD 70.

In fact, the strongest evidence is for an earlier writing.
The Date of Revelation: Geisler vs. Geisler ([url]http://www.americanvision.org/articlearchive2007/07-25-07.asp[/url] - broken link)
[URL="http://www.preteristvision.org/questions/qa_revelationdate.html"]Preteristvision - Questions and Answers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.tektonics.org/esch/revdate.html"]Dating and Interpreting Revelation[/URL]
[URL="http://www.godshew.org/Revelation.htm"]Revelation: The Revelation of St John The Divine[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ellenwhiteexposed.com/revdate.htm"]Dating the Book of Revelation - Jim Hopkins[/URL]

You expect to make a claim and just have people take your word for it .... ya right ... let's do that. Wait a tic ... I have a better idea ... it's called "RESEARCH". Try it sometime ... you might like it. I encourage you to actually read the material in the above links and the dozens of others out there that offer objective discussion about the authorship of the book of Revelation. You are very unobjective so I would encourage everyone who reads these posts to not take your word... or mine... or anyone elses at face value.

We can all read, so how 'bout we use the skills God gave us instead of being lazy about it. I would not expect any of you to blindly trust anything I have to say. You can and should attempt to validate any point made by any one of us.

You quote 2nd Thes, 2. How do you know the man of lawlessness was not revealed? You make a claim for which you have no foundation. You insist the "man of lawlessness has not been revealed, but you have no proof that is indeed the case.

As well ... "He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God." ...

Hate to break this to you bro', but the temple is gone and there is "ZERO" indication it ever has a chance of being rebuilt for any reason. The temple sacrifices are over ... no need for them to ever be reinstituted, so there will be no rebuilding of "God's temple".

Preterism is not blasphemy. You claim it is and you state "Not only is it dangerous because it's completely false, it's dangerous because it completely denies that Jesus is the Savior who died for us on the Cross for our wretched selves and sins, but it calls Jesus a liar because it voids, nullifies and robs the Church of the blessed Hope that He most assuredly promised to us."

Preterism does no such thing. You saying it does, does not make it true. I know many, many preterists. They all have completely sold themselves out to Christ. They proclaim him as savior as do I. As well ... it is futurism, not preterism that threatens most to claim Jesus as a liar. Jesus assured his disciples some of them would be witness to the "end times" and to his return. If he did not return to them and some of them were not witness to it, Jesus lied to them.
Just thank you so much for saying what I felt needed to be said.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM

277 posts, read 228,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
Just thank you so much for saying what I felt needed to be said.

Hey Shakal, you might be interested in giving this thread a read:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...d-already.html

TC

Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 663 times
Let us reason together...
First, we need to back up, and understand a few important points.
First, Moses/Yashua, (Jesus).
When we look at Yahsua we see Moses. But what did Moses do that Yahsua had to fulfill? Why didnt Moses just finish things back in the BC? Because Yashua needed to fulfill everything he started. But where is the proof that Yashua fulfilled everything?
It is Moses. Look at everything he did in Egypt, and beyond. From Exodus 12 on until Joshua entered Canaan, we see the passover of Yashua, (Jesus) to the time Titus came and destroyed the city and burned the temple.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:32 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting For Air View Post
Moderator cut: personal remarks The passages you quote do not disprove preterism. You focus on only one part of the passage and toss aside and neglect the rest that doesn't jive with what you believe. Look ... I'm not a preterist ... I am very open to wherever the truth lies... be that preterism, futurism, historicism. I just get sick and tired of your spiritual elitism and selective reasoning of biblical text.

DOTL .. You are either completely ignorant of the truth or are just flatly rejecting any evidence that doesn't jive with what you want to believe. There is evidence of a post AD 70 writing for Revelation but there most definitely is no "proof" that Revelation was written post AD 70.

In fact, the strongest evidence is for an earlier writing.
The Date of Revelation: Geisler vs. Geisler (http://www.americanvision.org/articl...7/07-25-07.asp - broken link)
Preteristvision - Questions and Answers
Dating and Interpreting Revelation
Revelation: The Revelation of St John The Divine
Dating the Book of Revelation - Jim Hopkins

You expect to make a claim and just have people take your word for it .... ya right ... let's do that. Wait a tic ... I have a better idea ... it's called "RESEARCH". Try it sometime ... you might like it. I encourage you to actually read the material in the above links and the dozens of others out there that offer objective discussion about the authorship of the book of Revelation. You are very unobjective so I would encourage everyone who reads these posts to not take your word... or mine... or anyone elses at face value.

We can all read, so how 'bout we use the skills God gave us instead of being lazy about it. I would not expect any of you to blindly trust anything I have to say. You can and should attempt to validate any point made by any one of us.

You quote 2nd Thes, 2. How do you know the man of lawlessness was not revealed? You make a claim for which you have no foundation. You insist the "man of lawlessness has not been revealed, but you have no proof that is indeed the case.

As well ... "He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God." ...

Hate to break this to you bro', but the temple is gone and there is "ZERO" indication it ever has a chance of being rebuilt for any reason. The temple sacrifices are over ... no need for them to ever be reinstituted, so there will be no rebuilding of "God's temple".

Preterism is not blasphemy. You claim it is and you state "Not only is it dangerous because it's completely false, it's dangerous because it completely denies that Jesus is the Savior who died for us on the Cross for our wretched selves and sins, but it calls Jesus a liar because it voids, nullifies and robs the Church of the blessed Hope that He most assuredly promised to us."

Preterism does no such thing. You saying it does, does not make it true. I know many, many preterists. They all have completely sold themselves out to Christ. They proclaim him as savior as do I. As well ... it is futurism, not preterism that threatens most to claim Jesus as a liar. Jesus assured his disciples some of them would be witness to the "end times" and to his return. If he did not return to them and some of them were not witness to it, Jesus lied to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity