Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:13 AM

396 posts, read 600,608 times

Advertisements

world without end (Eph.3:21)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,116,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Further, are the two witnesses of Revelation human or supernatural? .......... We shouldn't automatically assume that Revelation is talking about humans just because the pronoun "he" is used. .
Question:
lets just say that the Two Witnesses of Revelation are humans.

Can they be girls?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Clearly, Jesus came "soon" just as he promised he would do! The "beast" in John's Apocalypse is the spirit of the Anti-Christ who first dwelt in Nero and later "resurrected" out of the Abyss in the person of Titus (i.e. Daniel's eleventh and "little horn"). Titus is "the man of lawlessness" who appeared in the Temple in AD 70 and defiled it with his presence and claims of divinity (according to Josephus and the Talmud). At the second coming, Jesus cast Satan and his minions (including the spirit of Antichrist) into the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone and raised the dead out of Hades. Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,662,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhg69 View Post
Clearly, Jesus came "soon" just as he promised he would do! The "beast" in John's Apocalypse is the spirit of the Anti-Christ who first dwelt in Nero and later "resurrected" out of the Abyss in the person of Titus (i.e. Daniel's eleventh and "little horn"). Titus is "the man of lawlessness" who appeared in the Temple in AD 70 and defiled it with his presence and claims of divinity (according to Josephus and the Talmud). At the second coming, Jesus cast Satan and his minions (including the spirit of Antichrist) into the Lake of Fire burning with brimstone and raised the dead out of Hades. Hope this helps.
Sorry but you're wrong and that's all I got to say about preterism anymore. You're about a year or so behind the times with this discussion forum....it's not Christian anymore....it's now universalist. Preterism, mormonism and perfectionism are sooooo yesterday's discussions.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM

18,262 posts, read 17,031,805 times
Dating the Book of Revelation - Jim Hopkins

Reading this link was very interesting. Then I came to the part where Hopkins was explaining the Greek word, Tachos. I immediately thought of Tacos and I started imagining this conversation with a homeless man, his brain fried from sniffing too much glue or something.

Homeless man: Did you know Tacos comes from the Greek word, Tachos?
Me: (suppressing a smile-anticipating something funny coming) No, I didn't.
HM: Yeah, it happened after the illegals crossed the border into Greece.
Me: From where?
HM: Well, from Mexico, dummy, from the south.
Me: But south of Greece is a lot of water.
HM: Well, then they must have come up from the north. Anyway, you're side-tracking me. So the illegals come up from the north. And they intermarry with the Greeks. Now Tachos means shortly in English.
Me: You mean Greek?
HM: No, the Greeks don't speak English, do they?
Me: I'm sorry. Go on.
HM; So tachos means shortly in Greek...oh I see what you're saying. And the illegals drop the h out of tachos and start using tacos. Now up until 1660 or so tacos still means shortly but then someone invented taco shells and they had to put something in them. So they start putting ground hamburger and tomatos and lettuce in them. And some bright illegal says, what are we gonna call this food? And another one says, how about tacos? And another one says, no we can't-tacos means shortly. And another one says no tachos means shortly. So there's confusion among this bunch of illegals. And right about then mama comes in with a plate of tachos...I mean tacos and one of them says, Mama, that was quick. And she says, well, I told you I would have them for you guys shortly. So they decide over the next 2000 years or so, "mama will tachos (shortly) have a plate of tacos for us to eat. And that's how burritos came to mean donkeys.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
Has anyone taken into account the roots of the dispensationalist view?

Research the lavish lifestyles of these "godly" people on TBN or other networks. All are 501 (c) (3) "churches" which means they sought "permission" from the federal government to operate their "non-profit" "business". Sounds like these people have given themselves as slaves to the State. We cannot serve two masters. Matt. 6:24. Any government creation, like these "churches", are subject to the federal government and all its rules and regulations. Do you think the federal government is in line with the Divine Word of our Father in Heaven? How can we be loyal to both? We cannot, the scriptures tell us so.

Are these the people we want to follow?
Are these the beliefs we want to hold as true?
Should we ask any government's permission to spread God's word?
Should we listen to those that "preach the word" for profit?

Research and study the roots of what you claim to be true. If the truth is your honest and genuine desire, then your prayer will be answered.
I find it telling, though not surprising that 100% of the televangelists (and they number in the hundreds) are all futurists. Is it because that's where the truth lies.....or where the profits lie?

As Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-07-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 03:51 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,446,798 times
Default Scripture that blew ME out of the water

10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known: 18There is no fear of God before their eyes

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM

In Summation:

What a terrific thread this has been. Lots of people had excellent things to say about both sides of the debate, but particularly noteworthy, Preterist's thoughtful calm analysis turned out to be a perfect counterpoint to Ilene's more scrappy, "put-up-your-dukes" style of writing. All around, one of the better conversations, even if it did span nearly a year.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,662,300 times

You said "scrappy" and "put up your dukes" and this is what came to mind.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM

That's it, Ilene! Though I'm sure you're much MUCH prettier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity