Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,260 times

Advertisements

If most of us are saved through the blood of Jesus Christ, then why do some scriptually believe that they do not need to be baptised? Looking for scripture for reasoning as to why they feel it is not necessary? I know there are scriptures that state you are saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. But what about the scriptures pertaining to baptism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,495,228 times
Because the only time someone was saved in the New Testament without baptism is when Jesus forgave the thief on the cross - since Jesus had the power to forgive sins on earth that example doesn't apply today. Every other time people are told to be baptized for salvation

Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,353,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Because the only time someone was saved in the New Testament without baptism is when Jesus forgave the thief on the cross - since Jesus had the power to forgive sins on earth that example doesn't apply today. Every other time people are told to be baptized for salvation
And actually, no one knows if the thief was baptized sometime before he ended up on the cross. Census is right though, Jesus has the power to forgive sins on earth...He also hadn't died yet.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,406,185 times
We should be baptized, Jesus commanded it, but there are no Scripture that says you must be baptized to be saved, only the blood Jesus can save. There is no saving power in baptism.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM

There is also an antitype which now saves us; baptism (not the
removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good
conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

I Peter 3:21

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the 
remission of sins

Acts 2:38

Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,366,260 times
Default What's the reason then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
We should be baptized, Jesus commanded it, but there are no Scripture that says you must be baptized to be saved, only the blood Jesus can save. There is no saving power in baptism.
Hi NC,
okay, I also believe we should be baptised...any other reason besides Jesus said so? There is always a reason behind the things that Jesus tells us to do.
Do not lie? ---not very nice and immoral
Do not steal?---someone else worked very hard for that
Do not pick the weeds from the wheat?---they will be harvested together
Believe in him?---get to heaven

See what I mean?
So, what is the reason that Jesus told us to be baptised?

Last edited by *sherry*; 01-01-2009 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
INLC, You know I love ya as a sister in the Lord
But no saving power? Then Jesus' ressurection didn't happen.
1 Peter 3:21
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Is Jesus in the tomb or not?

Sherry,
Its not about baptism. Its about faith and how you obtain it is the core about how baptism is believed. Is faith a gift from God or a decision by human? Are we the clay or the potter? Who is in control of faith?
There are two lines of thought....
Baptism is something we do for God, or God doing something for us....its one big show or its the saving work of God.

Why baptism saves because it is connected with and guaranteed by his resurrection. 1 Peter 3:21

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-01-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi NC,
okay, I also believe we should be baptised...any other reason besides Jesus said so? There is always a reason behind the things that Jesus tells us to do.
Do not lie? ---not very nice and immoral
Do not steal?---someone else worked very hard for that
Do not pick the weeds from the wheat?---they will be harvested together
Believe in him?---get to heaven

See what I mean?
So, what is the reason that Jesus told us to be baptised?
It's a picture of cleansing, cleansing from sin of our old life, dying to the old life and being born to a new life, a sign of commitment to a new life in Jesus. It should be a part of every believer's experience, but is not a requirement for salvation.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
INLC, You know I love ya as a sister in the Lord
But no saving power? Then Jesus' ressurection didn't happen.
1 Peter 3:21
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Is Jesus in the tomb or not?

Sherry,
Its not about baptism. Its about faith and how you obtain it is the core about how baptism is believed. Is faith a gift from God or a decision by human? Are we the clay or the potter?
I know twin, I love ya too and while there many things we agree on, this is not one of them. The saving power is in Jesus, not baptism. It's a symbol of the transformation that happens in the hearts of those who believe in Jesus as their Savior.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM

It is pretty much summed up by 2 passages

I Peter 3:20 - Baptism symbolizes salvation by water as during the flood

"" when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also ""

Romans 6:4 - Baptism represents the burial and raising of Jesus. Going down into the water is putting the old man of sin to death, coming up out of the water represents being raised to a new sinless life

"" We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life ""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity