Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Pastor?
Creflo Dollar 3 2.83%
Joel Osteen 14 13.21%
TD Jakes 10 9.43%
Joyce Meyer 19 17.92%
Neither 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM

178 posts, read 404,172 times

Advertisements

I still haven't seen anyone who supports the wealthy TV ministries speak on these verses below from the word of God which plainly and clearly shows the evil and sinfulness of preaching for money. Selling books and DVDs as a "christian motivational speaker" still counts as preaching for profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM

342 posts, read 540,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If you really care about the winning souls, you really need to pray about your approach.
I know you can't be told anything because you know it all. At least I tried, again, to reach you.

Have a nice day!
I'm sorry you are so offended by Fundamentalist..........BUT>>>>the TRUTH is offensive to those who are blind.........these so called "ministries" are simply a disgrace.......they prey on the broken and vulnerable......the prosperity gospel is one of the great deceptions spoken about in the end times.........Please awaken......Seek the Godly counsel of humble teachers of the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.......

Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Joyce Meyer tells people they are little gods, her gospel is atrocious. TD Jakes isn't even a Christian. He believes all roads lead to heaven, nuff' said.

Joel Osteen is an excellent motivational speaker but he is not a preacher, he doesn't even have a gospel other than, Jesus loves you? no mention of the Law, sin, repentance and faith. The Apostle Paul said, preaching of the cross is foolishness to the unrepentant. Olsteen preaches a feel good lucky gospel which is un-founded and un-biblical; come to Christ and you will prosper and your life will be great, what verse is that? I would like to see him preach that in the Orissa State in India where Christians have bounties on their heads, preferably dead. Why should people come to Jesus? so they can get stuff? that is the wrong way to come to Jesus. The symbol of the cross is dieing to self. If you can't understand that then you can't be a Christian. He is preaching a doctrine of hell.
EXCELLENT POST:Fundamentalist.......Please do not apologize for witnessing to the Truth these deceivers are the worst kind ; since they exploit the gospel for profit.......They surely preach the doctrines of hell; they pretend to love others and poison the word of God for money......Some are arrogant and proud like Joyce Meyer others are soft spoken and politically correct.......they will fool many; because many do not want to hear the Godly Gospel they want a motivational speaker to tell them to enjoy life now ......have your best life now.........they will not escape judgement.... they cannot fool the Lord.....

Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

It takes a real work of grace for someone to not be defiled by the riches of this life, and even if their heart is in the right place, too many people see their lives and are offended.
That is so true elmer. That is why Jesus said...Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Not impossible because with God all things are possible but he made the point. I know at times in my own life when I have been satisfied ,my mind wasn`t on God as much. It`s when he has taken away the things I relied on and humbled me that I drew closer. It has been those times that I studied more and sought for the truth..because the Lord was drawing me.
As one of God`s elect you can relish in the tough times, the hard times,the poor times. Because when you are weak then he is strong. His grace is sufficient for you. God doesn`t promise you anything in this physical life except he will never forsake you. People worry about tribulation and what is going to happen. Why worry? What is the worst thing that could happen to you...death? So what! Then your next conscious moment you are at the resurrection..isn`t that better? People worry about such things because their faith is weak. God doesn`t promise you wealth,health,happiness or anything else in this life. He seems to say you will experience the exact opposite. So if you are someone who is experiencing pain and suffering right now,maybe God is calling you. Take comfort in that. That is worth more than all the fleeting riches and gold this world can offer. It is worth more than any of the praises,compliments,or respect of men.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
That is so true elmer. That is why Jesus said...Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

Not impossible because with God all things are possible but he made the point. I know at times in my own life when I have been satisfied ,my mind wasn`t on God as much. It`s when he has taken away the things I relied on and humbled me that I drew closer. It has been those times that I studied more and sought for the truth..because the Lord was drawing me.
As one of God`s elect you can relish in the tough times, the hard times,the poor times. Because when you are weak then he is strong. His grace is sufficient for you. God doesn`t promise you anything in this physical life except he will never forsake you. People worry about tribulation and what is going to happen. Why worry? What is the worst thing that could happen to you...death? So what! Then your next conscious moment you are at the resurrection..isn`t that better? People worry about such things because their faith is weak. God doesn`t promise you wealth,health,happiness or anything else in this life. He seems to say you will experience the exact opposite. So if you are someone who is experiencing pain and suffering right now,maybe God is calling you. Take comfort in that. That is worth more than all the fleeting riches and gold this world can offer. It is worth more than any of the praises,compliments,or respect of men.
May God bless you my brother.......your post is truely a comfort to the afflicted........

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
I'm sorry you are so offended by Fundamentalist..........BUT>>>>the TRUTH is offensive to those who are blind.........these so called "ministries" are simply a disgrace.......they prey on the broken and vulnerable......the prosperity gospel is one of the great deceptions spoken about in the end times.........Please awaken......Seek the Godly counsel of humble teachers of the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.......
I know that Fundamentalist has a few followers on this forum.

I feel sorry for all of you. I think you're the disgrace.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:14 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:
I know that Fundamentalist has a few followers on this forum.

I feel sorry for all of you. I think you're the disgrace.
I have no followers, they are a follower of Christ just as I am.

No offense but for a person who boast how long he has been a Christian, you sure do insult people? Why are you calling your brothers and sisters a disgrace? We are doing the best we can and we know there is always a lot more room to grow. Maybe you should look inward as well?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have no followers, they are a follower of Christ just as I am.

No offense but for a person who boast how long he has been a Christian, you sure do insult people? Why are you calling your brothers and sisters a disgrace? We are doing the best we can and we know there is always a lot more room to grow. Maybe you should look inward as well?
Interesting...

So, when you are criticizing people and ministries, it's not insulting....

But, when I answer a post that was directed to me, it's an insult....???

The poster was defending you and criticizing the ministries. I was defending the minstries and my stand.

It's important to remember, also, that I was NOT the one who was on the attack in this thread.
All I did was post that "I like Joyce Meyer... "

With all due respect.... you're the one(s) who need to get the message, sir.

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-15-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:
Interesting...

So, when you are criticizing people, it's not insulting....

But, when I answer a post that was directed to me, it's an insult....???
Did Jesus not criticize as well in front of others? "34 "You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart." If they were insulted, well that's their opinion, if Jesus was right, what was He to do?

Quote:
The poster was defending you and criticizing the ministries. I was defending the minstries and my stand.
These ministries should be criticized, they have abhorrent teaching and some even border on heresy. Please tell me what part of their gospel is there to defend?

Quote:
I was NOT the one who was on the attack in this thread. All I did was post that "I liked Joyce Meyer... "
You said, we are a disgrace, earlier you called me intolerant and obnoxious. I have never called you a name?

Quote:
With all due respect.... you're the one(s) who need to get the message, sir.
We are but messengers doing what Jesus did- seeking and saving that which is lost, they are already judged, God judged them already we are only relaying the message.
(John 3:18) 18 "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I want to know what we are doing different than what Jesus did?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,169,042 times
We are not humbling ourselves and being gentle of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity