Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is Your Favorite Pastor?
Creflo Dollar 3 2.83%
Joel Osteen 14 13.21%
TD Jakes 10 9.43%
Joyce Meyer 19 17.92%
Neither 60 56.60%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times

Advertisements

Fundamentalist....

How is it different when I say that it's a disgrace for you to criticize these ministries or for you to call these minisitries a disgrace?

So, it's o.k. for you to publicly speak against ministers but it's not o.k. to say the same exact words back in reference to you?

I think you need to remember that Paul, who you compared yourself to in a previous post, was also a persecutor of the Church...

I used the same words back to the poster that he used in description of the ministries. And, I could do likewise, to you from your previous posts...

In fact, I did.

You try to have a nice day. And, please remember our previous discussion.
I asked you please, please not to address me on this forum.

I don't have time to argue with you today. I've said my peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Fundamentalist....

How is it different when I say that it's a disgrace for you to criticize these ministries or for you to call these minisitries a disgrace?
I never called these ministries, a disgrace. I said, they have un-biblical, un-founded abhorrent teaching and some of them border and cross over heresy.

Quote:
So, it's o.k. for you to publicly speak against ministers but it's not o.k. to say the same exact words back in reference to you?
On what authority? Show us from the bible that we are heretics or providing abhorrent teaching

Quote:
I think you need to remember that Paul, who you compared yourself to in a previous post, was also a persecutor of the Church...
Come on, this is God's words not Paul's. He was led by the Holy Spirit as I when I read Corinthians, Romans etc....

Quote:
I used the same words back to the poster that he used in description of the ministries. And, I could do likewise, to you from your previous posts...

In fact, I did.
He said it in general, you individualized it.
Quote:
You try to have a nice day. And, please remember our previous discussion.
I asked you please, please not to address me on this forum.

I don't have time to argue with you today. I've said my peace.
I pray for you everyday as well and you don't have to respond.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm sorry you feel that it was personal. I wasn't even addressing you.

It's really no different....

I have benefited from the ministries of Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen as have many millions of other people.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine with me.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM

178 posts, read 404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
We are not humbling ourselves and being gentle of heart.
I agree. We are also not addressing the scripture which speaks on the subject matter of this thread.

Declarations such as "I like Joyce Meyer" or "I don't like Joyce Meyer" mean nothing.

Again, in case anyone missed it, let's see what the scriptures say about preaching for profit.

It is Evil for a Priest to teach for Money

One who preaches God's Word for money is not a true man of God.
Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

A man of God is not to seek his own gain.
Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."

Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post
I agree. We are also not addressing the scripture which speaks on the subject matter of this thread.

Declarations such as "I like Joyce Meyer" or "I don't like Joyce Meyer" mean nothing.

Again, in case anyone missed it, let's see what the scriptures say about preaching for profit.

Micah 3:11-12, "The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us. Therefore shall Zion for your sake be plowed as a field, and Jerusalem shall become heaps, and the mountain of the house as the high places of the forest."

Isaiah 56:11, "Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter."
1 Corinthians 10:32-33, "Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the congregation of God: Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved."
1 Timothy 6:5, "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself."
A minister of God is not to covet money, nor expect money, when he preaches God's Word.
Acts 20:33-34, "I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel. Yea, ye yourselves know, that these hands have ministered unto my necessities, and to them that were with me. I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Paul is pointing out that while he had been teaching in the synagogues each Sabbath and ministering to the needs of the people, he did so at his own expense and even provided for the expense of any of his assistants by the work of his own hands. Paul was reinforcing the Old Testament examples of being a strong, contributing member of the community. Paul himself, was labouring with his own hands - working to look after his needs and those of his fellow workers, while taking from his own time and expense, to preach the Gospel to those who needed it.

Paul believed that it was more blessed to give spiritual enlightenment to the people than it was to receive material reward for so doing. Paul was one of the New Testament's best examples of how to be a disciple of the Word of God. Paul's special calling was indeed to be a disciple to the Gentiles. He went on to say that it would be an abuse of his authority to do otherwise, and worse yet, that by looking for material recompense, he would actually be hindering the Gospel from reaching those that had no material things to give.
2 Corinthians 2:17, "For we are not as the many, making gain by corrupting the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ."
Sorry...I wasn't referencing Joyce Meyers or anything about money. Just wanted to clarify.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM

178 posts, read 404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Sorry...I wasn't referencing Joyce Meyers or anything about money. Just wanted to clarify.
No need to apologize. I know you weren't referencing Joyce Meyer. I just wanted to expand on your insightful and refreshing comment.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM

342 posts, read 540,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I'm sorry you feel that it was personal. I wasn't even addressing you.

It's really no different....

I have benefited from the ministries of Joyce Meyer and Joel Osteen as have many millions of other people.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's fine with me.
And they have "benefited" from you...... even more.....$$$$$$$$.......as was explained to you earlier in prior posts...;As I said before these "ministries" are a disgrace and an abomination.......Deceivers leading blind followers who are offended by the truth......They preach a diluted Gospel message for profit, BUT " What does it profit a man or woman to store up earthy treasure.......and loose their soul........... It is bad enough for someone to exploit others in the secular realm; but I would not want to imagine the punishment that awaits those who exploit the Word of God for earthly gain at the expense of others.......DOUBLE INDEMNITY....remember...JESUS TOOK A WHIPP to the money changers "in the temple".....this is the only time Jesus got so angry He delivered earthly retribution.........E-nuff said

Last edited by Vessif; 01-15-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Creflo make the dollas flow like the creeks-flo

Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Creflo make the dollas flow like the creeks-flo
Funny. I didn't mention Creflo in any of my posts. In fact, until now, no one's mentioned his name.

Why do you want to jump in here now and give the legalists fodder?

I've certainly not joined into their Universalist discussion.... I want nothing to do with it.

Do Universalists also hate Joyce Meyer?

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-16-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antjraf View Post

well stated--the bible has many references to those who in GODS name seek to become wealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity