Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1Ti 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; (4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Eusebius, universalists tend to harp on the "world" or "all" seriously this is just a simplistic view of a complex doctrine since the bible many times uses the words “world” or “all” in a limited sense. They do not automatically mean “every individual in the entire world.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,856 times
Why didn't God warn us somewhere not to take what He says about "all" to mean all, only some certain ones He had in view? He never taught against believing what He says about the salvation of all. He corrected other things. So many verses are so clearly saying that Jesus is the Saviour of All in various ways, if He wanted us to not believe it, why didn't He explain it that way somewhere, making it clear that wasn't what He meant? He knew we'd understand His words that way unless He limited them; so, why didn't He ever explain that limitation?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
My fundy brother aired out our differences in emails to our family of 10 boys and 3 girls.

He even accused me of teaching Jesus and Satan are brothers to try to poison everyone against me. I told him I don't believe that. I asked him to appologize to them about that and he refuses. Some "Christians" can be as evil as the devil who is supposed to be our accusor.

Do you think maybe he considers it to be a serious issue--the nature of God and salvation?

Come to repentance and denounce your universalist heresy and I'm sure you'll see his tune change.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Why didn't God warn us somewhere not to take what He says about "all" to mean all, only some certain ones He had in view? He never taught against believing what He says about the salvation of all. He corrected other things. So many verses are so clearly saying that Jesus is the Saviour of All in various ways, if He wanted us to not believe it, why didn't He explain it that way somewhere, making it clear that wasn't what He meant? He knew we'd understand His words that way unless He limited them; so, why didn't He ever explain that limitation?
All I can say is that is why He gave us a brain. You can't use "all" to mean everyone if the bible isn't consistent that all means literally every living thing.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 05-09-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
He's the savior of all but all must accept His Gift. Like I've explained before, covenantal relationships are two way agreements.

But don't take my word on it, take His.

John 3 (New International Version)

John 3

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

Last edited by Omahabound; 05-09-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
All I can say is that is why He gave us a brain. You can't use "all" to say everyone if the bible in consistent that all means literally every living thing.
That's well and good, except those little inconvenient scriptures about putting on the mind of Christ, being renewed in our mind, Christ is the head of the body, etc;

Quote:
"...not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:13-14)

Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
He's the savior of all but all must accept His Gift. Like I've explained before, covenantal relationships are two way agreements.

But don't take my word on it, take His.

John 3 (New International Version)

John 3

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."
Taken and received; of course I believe that condemnation rests on all of us - before and after we are born again - until all of the flesh is burned out of us. You see, there is unbelief in us still; who completely walks by the faith of the Son of God?

It's a process...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That's well and good, except those little inconvenient scriptures about putting on the mind of Christ, being renewed in our mind, Christ is the head of the body, etc;
Our brains can determine the consistency in the bible when using the terms "world" or "all" in a limited way.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Taken and received; of course I believe that condemnation rests on all of us - before and after we are born again - until all of the flesh is burned out of us. You see, there is unbelief in us still; who completely walks by the faith of the Son of God?

It's a process...
Not at all. One is condemned and one is not. You propose that all are condemned and by vary procedures they are exhonerated yet John 3 makes it abundantly clear that that is not the case. But we can agree to disagree.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Quote:
1Ti 2:3-6 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; (4) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (5) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; (6) Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
Hi, this statement is speaking of God's will for all people to be saved, seeing that Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all people. He was sent to be the Savior of the world. 1 John 4:14. This corresponds with Colossians 1:15-20

Colossians 1
15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.17. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

It is very clear that Jesus is the firstborn of all creation, that all things were created by/through Him and for Him, He is before all things, in Him all things hold together, it was the Father’s good pleasure to reconcile all things to Himself through Him. God is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

1 Timothy 4:10: For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, esecially of believers. Prescribe and teach these things.
Believers are a category within the whole of all men.

God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity