Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 11:28 PM

11,910 posts, read 3,739,955 times

Advertisements

[quote=thrillobyte;9378726]
Quote:
This post just demonstrated the absurdity of your stance. I don't need to be acceptable in your eyes, and it's ludicrous for you to assume that I do.

I said, from the very beginning, that God made me this way. It is not a "lifestyle," it is who I am, past, present, and future. It is not a "problem," it is my blessing. No one here could provide one compelling, logical argument against that, so that is your shortcoming, not mine.

You don't serve "God." You serve an ideology where anything you don't like can be ruled out and condemned. That's pathetic.

You will not decide what being a Christian is for me, and you will not speak for God in my life. That is not your prerogative./QUOTE]

See? Nothing in there about, "Guys, can you give me some insight as Christians to another Christian how to deal with this?" Instead, it's "I don't need your approval!" "Who are you people to judge me?!"
You're all nothing but a bunch of ignorant, bigoted %$#&'s!" I'll tell you something else, my friend: you're loving all this attention, probably sitting around the computer screen with several of your gay buddies laughing and enjoying yourselves as you relish answering each entry with a rapid-fire unChristian-like response. I've seen it too many times before on other boards--the guys who are deliberately divisive just to stir up trouble. You uncovered, Queen. We know your game now. I doubt anyone's got anything left wroth saying to say to you. Laugh it up, Queen. When this thread disappears tomorrow. You'll find another board to troll.
Thrillobyte

I feel your reply is showing more about yourself than you realise at the moment.

Jesus says love your enemies -- he is someone who is asking a question - if you need to give a reply I would suggest doing it honestly and nicely, if you think he is baiting you, if you rise to the bait he will have got what he wanted which is a reaction from you - if he is doing this just to bait us and doesn't get a reaction he will go away.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It must be just wonderful "not to judge". Ha ha!
Quoting what is written in the Bible is not "judging."

Old 06-20-2009, 12:15 AM

352 posts, read 553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I don't sleep with women to begin with, so how is that even applicable to me? Also, how do you know they are talking about homosexual relations at all?
The verse states that you cannot sleep with a man as you would with a woman. That implies homosexuality; look up the verse in any Bible and see for yourself.

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't make any sense. Therefore, the Bible is being interpreted incorrectly, or it is not the official word of God. It's one or the other.
So you are saying that your interpretation is correct, but what scholars and theologians have been studying for nearly 2 millenia are incorrect in their interpretations. That is pretty drastic in of itself. What evidence in Scripture can you provide that condones the homosexual lifestyle?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,956,401 times
Quote:
And God doesn't make mistakes, right? Therefore, I see no reason to believe that God didn't make me this way, since God, the creator, is perfect and all-knowing.
The first thing you must do when you come to Jesus, who is the Son of God, is to deny yourself. Jesus denied Himself when He walked among men, and when He gave up His glory in Heaven so that people might be saved from God's wrath.

And when he [Jesus] had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. (Mark 8:34)

Also, there is deliverance for homosexuality, and any other sin, through the blood of Jesus.

Quote:
How can God automatically condemn what he has created in his image?
Unlike what you will hear from the false teaching of today, none of us are born in God's image. God has a holy image, but we were born in sin and iniquities; that is why we must be born again to see God's kingdom. Mankind lost God's image when Adam & Eve fell into sin.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,529,318 times
inspired by op's statement and the connotations of the word 'gay':

scio me nescire (i know that i do not know)..... at least there's this convention: innocent until proven guilty.....

what can anyone possibly be guilty of? got anything to hide? and if so, why?

god made me stupid, i guess.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:13 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,362,253 times
Quote:
And God doesn't make mistakes, right? Therefore, I see no reason to believe that God didn't make me this way, since God, the creator, is perfect and all-knowing. How can God automatically condemn what he has created in his image?
Queen

God does not make mistakes, that part is right , unfortunately it's us that make mistakes .

In general we become what we are through desire

Last edited by pcamps; 06-20-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,409,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
The verse states that you cannot sleep with a man as you would with a woman. That implies homosexuality; look up the verse in any Bible and see for yourself.
The implication of "homosexuality" is an interpretation taken out of context of the original Hebrew and the historical cultural/religious practices of the time.

If anyone here had taken the time to research the verse in context (directly between two verses about pagan idolatrous worshipping practices) and knew anything at all about the historical culture of the Canaanites (which anyone can see the chapter is referring to if they read the opening verses), it's obvious that the verse is not referring to homosexuality, but a specific same-sex religious practice common at the time in which the chapters were written.

The specific practice is an idolatrous worshipping ritual where male sacred temple prostitutes would dress as a female goddess (like Astoreth) and men would have sex with them to worship the fertility gods. (as with a woman). The Hebrew word "zachar" (translated into English as "male") was most often used to describe a male who was involved in some sort of ritualistic or sacred duties, not just any ordinary "male".

It's much easier NOT to do any research into the original Hebrew and the local cultures of the time, if you want to simply "interpret" the verse as "implying" homosexuality. The same goes for the couple of mentions in the NT of similar practices in Paul's time. If we had pagan fertility gods and temples today like they had then, it would be obvious to anyone what was being referred to. But we don't, so people project their modern interpretations on to these verses without understanding the context.

Every time I write about this on these forums, I get accused of "twisting" scripture by people who have little or no knowledge of the context and languages the scriptures were written in. I'm beginning to think many people actually believe the Bible was originally written in English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
So you are saying that your interpretation is correct, but what scholars and theologians have been studying for nearly 2 millenia are incorrect in their interpretations. That is pretty drastic in of itself. What evidence in Scripture can you provide that condones the homosexual lifestyle?
Scholars and theologians have their own biases. Just look up the different interpretations of Deut 23-17 for example. Deuteronomy 23:17 No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute.
The King James translators translated the Hebrew words "qadeshim" and "qadesh" as "whores" and "sodomites" -which shows their own biases. The verse has more recently been corrected in many English versions as "female temple prostitutes" and "male shrine (or temple) prostitutes".

Another example is 1 Cor 6. This verse used to be used for centuries to condemn masturbators, not homosexuals. In fact the word "homosexuals" was not used in an English translation until the Revised Standard Version in 1946.

More and more Biblical scholars are re-examining the handful of verses which have been used to condemn homosexuals and interpreting them in their original context.

What will all the anti-gay Christians do when all the verses they have been using to condemn homosexuals all those years are eventually translated correctly in their original context? Go around condemning male temple prostitutes worshipping Canaanite and Roman fertility gods? Good luck finding any.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-20-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,561,694 times
Here is a scripture that I believe may have a bearing on this:

Matthew 19.12 " For there are eunuchs who have been born thus from their mother's womb, and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He who is able to accept it, let him accept it."

I have never seen this addressed here, or heard a sermon on it. But I do think the bolded part may refer to those who wish to attain the kingdom of God.

Asking this of them is no worse than expecting anyone to give up all for the kingdom of God.

And I do not think the way one is "born from their mother's womb": is technically the same as "being created by God". God set the birth cycle into motion, and it is a natural occurance...it is not a new creation. I do not believe that every one that is born is predetermined to be physically as they are. I do believe God knows us before we are born, but I believe it is the spiritual 'us' that He knows.

Many are born with disabilities due to some natural cause. It is not something God gave them! We are all responsible spiritually for how we believe and behave.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,529,318 times
^

and again, the above post sounds fatalistic and suggests nothing but a continuation of the status quo.

prove me wrong, towhee!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,063,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn71 View Post
God made Man to be with a woman. If you don't want to be with a woman you could choose calibacy.
Homosexuality is a choice, just like pedophiles, and beastiality. It's a choice. And God says it's a sin.

I'm personally not going to judge you.
God bless. He loves you.
The moment anyone compares homosexuality with pedophiles and beastiality, is the moment that I don't take anything they say seriously on the subject.

End of story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity