Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,465,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Some notes:
"When he set foot on that sandy beach in the Bahamas on October 12, 1492, Columbus discovered that the islands were inhabited by friendly, peaceful people called the Lucayans, Taínos and Arawaks. Writing in his diary, Columbus said they were a handsome, smart and kind people. He noted that the gentle Arawaks were remarkable for their hospitality. "They offered to share with anyone and when you ask for something, they never say no," he said. The Arawaks had no weapons; their society had neither criminals, prisons nor prisoners. They were so kind-hearted that Columbus noted in his diary that on the day the Santa Maria was shipwrecked, the Arawaks labored for hours to save his crew and cargo. The native people were so honest that not one thing was missing.Columbus was so impressed with the hard work of these gentle islanders, that he immediately seized their land for Spain and enslaved them to work in his brutal gold mines. Within only two years, 125,000 (half of the population) of the original natives on the island were dead.If I were a Native American, I would mark October 12, 1492, as a black day on my calendar.Shockingly, Columbus supervised the selling of native girls into sexual slavery. Young girls of the ages 9 to 10 were the most desired by his men. In 1500, Columbus casually wrote about it in his log. He said: "A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand."He forced these peaceful natives work in his gold mines until they died of exhaustion. If an "Indian" worker did not deliver his full quota of gold dust by Columbus' deadline, soldiers would cut off the man's hands and tie them around his neck to send a message. Slavery was so intolerable for these sweet, gentle island people that at one point, 100 of them committed mass suicide. Catholic law forbade the enslavement of Christians, but Columbus solved this problem. He simply refused to baptize the native people of Hispaniola.

Eric Kasum: Columbus Day? True Legacy: Cruelty and Slavery
this is what i teach my kids, i dont let them get fooled by the school system. we need to teach our kids the truth of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

152 posts, read 143,003 times
religion is man made.. suited for the people who made it.. all other have to follow the rules..

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,986,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM. View Post
religion is man made.. suited for the people who made it.. all other have to follow the rules..
"Religion" may be man made but Christianity is not man made.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

154 posts, read 209,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Some notes:
"When he set foot on that sandy beach in the Bahamas on October 12, 1492, Columbus discovered that the islands were inhabited by friendly, peaceful people called the Lucayans, Taínos and Arawaks. Writing in his diary, Columbus said they were a handsome, smart and kind people. He noted that the gentle Arawaks were remarkable for their hospitality. "They offered to share with anyone and when you ask for something, they never say no," he said. The Arawaks had no weapons; their society had neither criminals, prisons nor prisoners. They were so kind-hearted that Columbus noted in his diary that on the day the Santa Maria was shipwrecked, the Arawaks labored for hours to save his crew and cargo. The native people were so honest that not one thing was missing.Columbus was so impressed with the hard work of these gentle islanders, that he immediately seized their land for Spain and enslaved them to work in his brutal gold mines. Within only two years, 125,000 (half of the population) of the original natives on the island were dead.If I were a Native American, I would mark October 12, 1492, as a black day on my calendar.Shockingly, Columbus supervised the selling of native girls into sexual slavery. Young girls of the ages 9 to 10 were the most desired by his men. In 1500, Columbus casually wrote about it in his log. He said: "A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand."He forced these peaceful natives work in his gold mines until they died of exhaustion. If an "Indian" worker did not deliver his full quota of gold dust by Columbus' deadline, soldiers would cut off the man's hands and tie them around his neck to send a message. Slavery was so intolerable for these sweet, gentle island people that at one point, 100 of them committed mass suicide. Catholic law forbade the enslavement of Christians, but Columbus solved this problem. He simply refused to baptize the native people of Hispaniola.

Eric Kasum: Columbus Day? True Legacy: Cruelty and Slavery
Oh my gosh, and here I am posting this from college and I never knew this. Shaking my head, I can't believe it. This really breaks my heart .

Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM

208 posts, read 547,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
this is what i teach my kids, i dont let them get fooled by the school system. we need to teach our kids the truth of history.
the truth of history? from a journalist? There are good historians in the USA, you may better give a book from one of this historians to your kids instead of this sensationalist article.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
Why didn't Jesus (or the Jewish God for that matter) reveal himself to the Indians - or to other indigenous peoples in Australia, Africa, Asia?

Did the Indians that died before white people came all go to Hell?
I am no expert on this, but I have asked people similar questions.

Apparently, according to Scripture (I'm going on here-say, since I have not read it myself), that God has made a provision for everyone to be saved. If you did not have the opportunity to accept Jesus as your savior before you died, apparently, you are going to get a chance after he returns. That way all the billions of people who died before he was born are not automatically have to spend eternity in hell.

at least that is what I was told.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread. But the thread title kept gnawing at me until I feel I need to respond to it - if not to any posts which follow. If someone vouchsafed a similar explanation, I apologize for muddying their water:

Jesus didn't talk to native americans or any other indigenous peoples because he didn't need to.

They already knew what was true.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
Why didn't Jesus (or the Jewish God for that matter) reveal himself to the Indians - or to other indigenous peoples in Australia, Africa, Asia?
How do you know the Creator did not reveal Himself? If anything, perhaps we will discover that they are among those who have been given a greater clarity.
peace,
sparrow

Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Thank you for that.

Another thing I'd like t point out is that there is a diversity of beliefs between and among various tribes.

You hear people saying things like "Indians (or Native Americans) believe in the Great Spirit" or that they "believe the earth is on a mound of dirt a giant turtle carries on its back" or "This is how you say 'hello' in Indian" and so on...

As if the indigenous peoples of this continent were all of one hive mind or something.

There are many tribes, many histories, many creation stories, many myths and legends, many linguistic families.

It's not as if all Native Americans are one homogenous culture.
I totally appreciate your post, but particularly the bold part because there is no longer any such thing as a "Native Indian", only those who descended from those who were natives of the Americas when the Europeans arrived and they have, to a large extent "mingled their blood together". I for one was born of a father whose roots were Irish, but from my mother there was a good dose of Cherokee. So where does that leave me? I think it is obvious that largely what humans argue and fight over is the question "Who Am I" ? and "Who Are We". I also think that deliverance can only be had by realizing that we are all ONE, though we are manifold, or a manifestation of One God. I guess I would fight over Mono-theism, then, because there can only be One true God in my perspective, who has many children.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,704 times
We are led by the spirit of the creator, i believe he reveiled himself in creation of mother earth, the heavens the four legged and many more, the white man cannot understand this way of belief because it is not in a book, you have to be open minded and have faith in the power of our creator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity