Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 AM

18,541 posts, read 9,234,818 times

Advertisements

Why? Because the native Americans are heathens who worship false gods, that's why.

(joking)

A lot of conservative Christians actually believe that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,624,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why? Because the native Americans are heathens who worship false gods, that's why.

(joking)

A lot of conservative Christians actually believe that, though.
Not joking

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,189,890 times
The Indians of America seem to be fascinated with nature and mother earth.......having said that God can reach anyone anywhere and His ways are not our ways. I read the story of a teen born in the heart of Africa.......he looked at the wooden carvings his tribe worshiped as stupid from day one. One day a traveling missionary came through telling him the story of Jesus and he was instantly hooked. Went on to study the bible and eventually ended up preaching to the lost not in the jungle, but the other jungle in Los Angeles!.........you gotta love it..........

Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,081,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, that's the first time I've heard that one. My goodness. The things you learn on the internet.

Do you have the name of the book because I know more than a few historians and scholars* who would LOVE to read all about Woyoka's vision of the Great Spirit telling him the Indians were supposed to be compliant with the whites. Who had, FYI, already arrived and forced them onto reservations where they were suffering horribly.

If, in whatever strange version of history, (not to mention linguistics) you seem to believe, the Ghost Dance was performed by a bunch of complacent Indians to make nice with the whites who were oppressing them.....it failed miserably at Wounded Knee.

*Though, come to think of of it, they've probably already read all the loony theories about the Ghost Dance vision. So just post the book title so I can catch up on what the "The Cherokees used Hebrew!" crowd believes.

As usual, you have the premise all wrong, and his name was Wovoka. And it's not hard to find out the Cherokee language has some Hebrew words in it. Read the book for yourself. Peace

The Ghost-dance Religion and the Sioux Outbreak of 1890: James Mooney: 9781290046220: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Stupid is as stupid posts.

Have you read the book? No? Then you just like arguing for the sake of arguing, never mind letting the facts get in the way of your opinion. Now THAT'S, stupid. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The Indians of America seem to be fascinated with nature and mother earth.......having said that God can reach anyone anywhere and His ways are not our ways. I read the story of a teen born in the heart of Africa.......he looked at the wooden carvings his tribe worshiped as stupid from day one. One day a traveling missionary came through telling him the story of Jesus and he was instantly hooked. Went on to study the bible and eventually ended up preaching to the lost not in the jungle, but the other jungle in Los Angeles!.........you gotta love it..........

And love it, I do. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 03:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
and his name was Wovoka. And it's not hard to find out the Cherokee language has some Hebrew words in it. Read the book for yourself. Peace

The Ghost-dance Religion and the Sioux Outbreak of 1890: James Mooney: 9781290046220: Amazon.com: Books
Congratulations on picking out a typing error! Well done. It's always amusing to watch the typing/spelling/ grammar police pouncing on those of us who make mistakes. Were it not for spell check I can assure you that you would have the opportunity able to correct dozens of my posts. As did an editor I used to have who emptied many red pens on my copy. He amused me as well. But I digress....

I"ll check my collection of books on the Sioux and the Ghost Dance religion and see if I have that particular book. Which seemed to make you quite the authority on the Ghost Dance. One book and...boom! You know all about it! Yeowza. That must be some book considering people spend their entire academic careers studying the ramifications of the vision and the Ghost Dance. Reading it will, alas, have to wait. I have a Navajo friend who recommends books by Indian authors, and he gave me a hefty stack of them a few days ago. I am currently engrossed in Sovereign Erotics - A collection of Two-Spirit Literature. I like to read...then contemplate what these brilliant First Nation members of the LGBTQ community have to tell us.

Maybe, after that, I'll dig out my linguistics books to see if my linguistics profs forgot to tell us about Hebrew-speaking Cherokees.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 PM

I only corrected it in case you elected to google his name. Couldn't care less how many typos you have, I have enough of my own to worry about. Peace

Old 05-24-2016, 03:27 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I only corrected it in case you elected to google his name. Couldn't care less how many typos you have, I have enough of my own to worry about. Peace
Well, well. I just read the Amazon posting and surprise, surprise! The book you read was written from the white/government point of view. The Indians wouldn't give interviews to the author. Lol...that explains how you came up with that nugget about white-placating Indians. It's a book written using limited sources. Which leads to a book with a bias.

Now then....Google his name? Moi? ... Have to Google the name of a seer whose vision led to the massacre at Wounded Knee and has important ramification in today's Native American community? Um....no. Your spidey powers are, once again, not up to snuff.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-24-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, well. I just read the Amazon posting and surprise, surprise! The book you read was written from the white/government point of view. The Indians wouldn't give interviews to the author. Lol...that explains how you came up with that nugget about white-placating Indians. It's a book written using limited sources. Which leads to a book with a bias.

Now then....Google his name? Moi? ... Have to Google the name of a seer whose vision led to the massacre at Wounded Knee and has important ramification in today's Native American community? Um....no. Your spidey powers are, once again, not up to snuff.

Well, then it's not the copy of the book I've got, because it's full of what the Indians were told by the Great Spirit and the visions they had.

I thought googling was a fair assumption since you couldn't spell it. Try to forgive me. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity