Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times

Advertisements

Acts 2:29, 34
“Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us to this day ... for David is NOT ascended into heaven.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:28 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Isn't it Paradise? holding place for heaven till He comes back?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 07-21-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Isn't it Paradise? holding place for heaven till He comes back?
There are only three places in the bible that uses the word paradise(certainly not enough to build a concrete doctrine on) ...

Luk 23:43

2 Cor 12:4

Rev 2:7

Only one of these instances could be said to equate paradise with the afterlife, and that is simply bad exegesis in my opinion. That would be Luk 23:43. Of course Jesus never specifies what he means by his use of the term. As i understand it, the paradisiacal state is atonement with God. To be presently reconciled to God through the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross.

2 Cor. i believe is referring to being enraptured, caught up in a state of ecstasy wherein the spirit of God imbues one with revelatory understanding.

Rev. 2:7 shows paradise in the same light. As being a spiritual state or condition of receiving Christ and aionios life. I don't see any reason or justification for saying this is a place holder for the souls of the dead until resurrection. In no place does the bible even suggest this idea.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:07 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
I believe the Jews thought David had fulfilled the promise of the ascension to the right hand of God and Peter was telling them, No that it was Jesus who fulfilled this and that he witnessed it.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:10 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
Quote:
“Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us to this day ... for David is NOT ascended into heaven.”
Hi, I believe that we are in the "grave", dead until the resurrection. Our spirits which I believe to be unconscious return to God, but I don't believe that we go to heaven or hell upon our death to live consciously.

John 5

28`Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, 29and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment. (YLT)

God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I believe the Jews thought David had fulfilled the promise of the ascension to the right hand of God and Peter was telling them, No that it was Jesus who fulfilled this and that he witnessed it.
That is true. However, it doesn't change the fact that David was asleep in the grave and had not risen up to heaven. When compared to what David had to say about death, we see there is not even thought or praise of God in the grave after one dies, hence his prayer to not be left in the grave. That is why we will be resurrected.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I believe that we are in the "grave", dead until the resurrection. Our spirits which I believe to be unconscious return to God, but I don't believe that we go to heaven or hell upon our death to live consciously.

John 5

28`Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, 29and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment. (YLT)

God bless.
Awomen Shana! I mean Amen!

Tony

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Paul said absent from the body, present with the Lord. I will be in His presence.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
There is only one who ascended into heaven and that is Christ. Everyone else God brings into heaven, they can't ascend by themselves, unlike Christ.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Paul said absent from the body, present with the Lord. I will be in His presence.
But there is no mention of time frame. He says to be absent from the bony is to be present with the lord, but he didn't say to be present with the lord immediately thereafter. We will be present with the lord at the resurrection. If there is no knowledge in the grave, then to the one who dies it would seem like they are immediately being resurrected, though to the living thousands of years might have passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity