Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:56 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi the passage in Acts says that David is not ascended into heaven, referring to David, not just His body. David died and was buried. God bless.
I am confused, please expound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
If you are alive and awake in heaven what is the point of the resurrection?
Your soul/spirit goes immediately to Christ whereas your physical body remains.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:10 AM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times
David, the person died, Fundy, not just his body, which is what some are saying. David is not living in heaven. He is dead. God bless.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If you are alive and awake in heaven what is the point of the resurrection?
Quote:

Right, why is the physical body even needed if we are already alive and well in heaven? We are made alive and immortal upon the resurrection. This is why the resurrection is so important. God bless.

Psalms 146
1Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD, O my soul!
2I will praise the LORD while I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
3Do not trust in princes,
In mortal man, in whom there is no salvation.
4His spirit departs, he returns to the earth;

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-22-2009 at 07:20 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Hi the passage in Acts says that David is not ascended into heaven, referring to David, not just His body. David died and was buried. God bless.
Ohhhhhhhh....I understand now. Even though I believe in reading the bible literally some of ya'll take it way too literal. This is the bible written thousands of years ago by ancient writers with ancient styles, too many people want to read the bible like it's some kind of American novel with modern American cultural writers.

Again context. Peter is stressing to the misguided Jews that David was not the one who fulfilled the promise but that it was Jesus who ascended to the right hand of God. The Jews knew exactly the promise; that this person's BODY will ascend, so when Peter was talking about David; it was clear he was talking about his physical body since that is what the promise was about. Only one person's body ever ascended and it was Jesus. Peter is speaking of the identity of the Messiah; decendant of David..identity of Christ deity; He asended to the right hand of God.

29"Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.

Peter is very clear in verse 29 that he is speaking of David's body

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 AM

Fundy, now we are taking the scriptures too literally. I will remember that when you post, "show me the scripture" again

Now, Peter said,
29"Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day.

David, the patriarch is dead and buried. When the body dies, the person dies. God bless.

P.S.
Quote:
understand now. Even though I believe in reading the bible literally some of ya'll take it way too literal. This is the bible written thousands of years ago by ancient writers with ancient styles, too many people want to read the bible like it's some kind of American novel with modern American cultural writers
So now when you see the words translated as "eternal" and "everlasting", you understand that this is not literal.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Right, why is the physical body even needed if we are already alive and well in heaven? We are made alive and immortal upon the resurrection. This is why the resurrection is so important. God bless.
Simple because God told us that we will have new bodies. Our soul/ spirit go to be with the Lord not our bodies.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Fundy, now we are taking the scriptures too literally. I will remember that when you post, "show me the scripture" again

You do that because I am practicing basic hermeneutics where pretell are you getting your interpretation from?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 AM

The scriptures with prayer for understanding. The scriptures do not refer to the body as sleeping but as to the person sleeping, i.e. being dead. God bless.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Now, Peter said,

David, the patriarch is dead and buried. When the body dies, the person dies. God bless.

P.S.

So now when you see the words translated as "eternal" you understand that this is not literal.
LOL.....P.S. If anios doesn't mean eternal then we Christians do not live eternally with the Father either.

I have dealt with this double talk mistranslations with the Jehovah Witnesses as well. You can't have your universal cake and it it too. The door swings both ways. No eternity in hell then no eternity in heaven either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity