Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
. What is the point of being resurrected if we are already happy walking, talking, praising God?
"walking"?
We are not walking....
To "walk" means to go about on two legs.
A spirit does not have legs,
So no walking....LOL

"talking"?
Talking means to use your voice box and mouth to form words.
A spirit has no physical voice box and no mouth.
So no talking...

"praising" god?
yes, a Spirit can do this, as it is a work of the spirit.

So to sum up:
After the resurrection we will appear as Christ was after His resurrection, with the ability to walk and to talk and to praise god...
This is what we are designed to be able to do.
The "resurrection" is a resurrection of our human BODY!
so that with our everlasting human body we are able to praise god forever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Alan, I find it almost impossible to conclude anything other than the church's\ministers shana attends\listens to are.
I dont know one way or the other.
She might go to a very nice Christian church, but for some reason just would rather that fact did not come up in this topic?

or she might have never darkend the door of a christian church in the last 20-30 years?...
I dont know...I dont have a clue about such very personal matters with my forum brothers and sisters.

All I know are the things that people are able to share with me, or what they seem unable to share with me.

When someone asks me :"Say Alan, what church do you attend?" I got an answer.
I dont have to think about it.
I dont have to worry, "How will this play on the forum?"
I dont have to GOOGLE a church to get a name I could use as my answer.

I just answer what is my current home church, and that's that...case closed..

It's not a trick question to ask another christian "What church do you go to?"

Unless....unless you are asking someone this question that has no church home.
You cant get an answer when there is none.

You cant ask for the name of a Christian church that supports your ideas and expect to get an answer when there is none.

But this is all just guessing for me as to why some can answer the question and why some are stumped by such questions and have to sit and be mute.
Cuz I don't know their hearts, nor their reasons for being so mute.

All I know for sure is to me, being unable to provide an easy answer to such basic questions makes their position look silly.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM

14,886 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Quote:
Alan,
As I try to write this without offending anyone, and saying this with the hope bring more towards the truth, I find it almost impossible to conclude anything other than the church's\ministers shana attends\listens to are the mouth piece of those who oppose the truth.

One thing is for certian, it is not because of lack of exposure that she can use as an excuse before God that she isn't aware that God is triune and that those who reject Jesus will not enter heaven forever.
Hi there, my beliefs come from the scriptures and the belief in the Trinity and universalism are not really related to this topic Twin.spin God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-23-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
dont know one way or the other.
She might go to a very nice Christian church, but for some reason just would rather that fact did not come up in this topic?

or she might have never darkend the door of a christian church in the last 20-30 years?...
I dont know...I dont have a clue about such very personal matters with my forum brothers and sisters.

All I know are the things that people are able to share with me, or what they seem unable to share with me.

When someone asks me :"Say Alan, what church do you attend?" I got an answer.
I dont have to think about it.
I dont have to worry, "How will this play on the forum?"
I dont have to GOOGLE a church to get a name I could use as my answer.

I just answer what is my current home church, and that's that...case closed..

It's not a trick question to ask another christian "What church do you go to?"

Unless....unless you are asking someone this question that has no church home.
You cant get an answer when there is none.

You cant ask for the name of a Christian church that supports your ideas and expect to get an answer when there is none.

But this is all just guessing for me as to why some can answer the question and why some are stumped by such questions and have to sit and be mute.
Cuz I don't know their hearts, nor their reasons for being so mute.

All I know for sure is to me, being unable to provide an easy answer to such basic questions makes their position look silly.
Hi, don't worry about it alan. I told you that I attend various congregations. Instead of worrying about where I attend "church" why not deal with the topic being discussed? Thanks and have a blessed day.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-23-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 AM

To clarify, there is a difference between what is believed to be "soul sleep" and "death of the soul" which is what I believe. I do not believe that the soul sleeps when we die because I do not believe that we are living. I believe that when we die we die. When God breathed into Adam the breath of life, he became a living soul, a person, and so when we die, the spirit returns to God and we die. This is referred to as "sleep" by Jesus because death is not a permanent thing. It is "as if" we are sleeping because we will one day rise again. Death is not a permanent condition. Hope that helps to clarify what I believe. God bless.

Soul sleep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John 11:
9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” 11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.” 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead

Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Can anyone name for me a Christian church that holds to the "Soul Sleep" teachings as being their official point of view?
I am only real familiar with Catholic and Baptist teachings. So I can't answer your question.

How I realized it was just from reading the bible . . .it's in many many scriptures. I was disappointed, but I understand that we will, those who God chooses, believers, will be raised at the first resurrection. I showed this to my Baptist preacher, he is studying this now as well. I have high regard for my pastor, he is not above studying scripture.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
Quote:
Hmmm...how interesting...
Hours later ...and yet,
Not a single person can answer my question?

None of the people that were so forcefully talking about soul-sleep have anything to say as to a christian church that actually teaches the idea????????________....LOL

So let me make sure we all understand this point:
When I asked what church do you go to?, you got no answer?
and-
When I ask for the name of a christian church that teaches the idea of soul sleep?...again you are mute?

I mean think about how that looks to me.
Dont you see how being unable to name your home church, as well as being unable to even name one church in the phone book that teaches soul-sleep sorta makes the idea look like nothing more than just something that people make up on their own?!

Now Im not asking "What church do you fully agree with?"
and Im not asking you to fully agree with your own church,
(God knows I disagree with many things going on with my own church),
But when asked "Alan what church do you go to?" for Pete's sake I got an answer!

I don't just try to change the subject or stare at the ground and hope the question goes away...LOL
Sorry, I needed sleep.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 AM

I would love to believe otherwise, that we are not in the grave, in the death state until the resurrection, but the scriptures do not support this. We won't even know that we are in the death state, but when we rise we will see that we are in the presence of the Lord. What a glorious day that will be!! God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
I know soul sleep is not an official catholic position...I know its not Lutheran...I know it's not Baptist....

so what church is running around pushing this idea?
It's a man made belief that is not biblical. Funny how you never got an answer to your question about what church people go to.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I would love to believe otherwise, that we are not in the grave, in the death state until the resurrection, but the scriptures do not support this. We won't even know that we are in the death state, but when we rise we will see that we are in the presence of the Lord. What a glorious day that will be!! God bless.
Oh you can believe it Shana! Just open your spiritual eyes, the Scriptures DO support this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity