Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times

Advertisements

No, it is not a manmade belief, ILNC. The scriptures do support that we are dead until the Lord raises us. This is the glory of the resurrection and why it is so important. I will believe the scriptures. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM

The glory of the resurrection

Quote:
The sleep of death blacks out the consciousness until the awakening of resurrection. Hear what the Word of God says along this line: "Praise ye Jehovah. Praise Jehovah, 0 my soul. While I live will I praise Jehovah:. I will sing praises unto my God WHILE I HAVE ANY BEING. Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. His SPIRIT (Heb. ruach, not neshamah breath) goeth forth, HE returneth to his earth; In that very day HIS THOUGHTS PERISH" (Psa. 146:1-4). Again: "Return, 0 Jehovah, deliver my soul: Save me for thy lovingkindness' sake. For in death there is no remembrance of thee: In Sheol who shall give thee thanks?" (Psa. 6:4,5). "For Sheol cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: They that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth" (Isa. 38 :18). "The dead know not anything" (Eccl. 9:5). "The dead LIVED NOT until the thousand years should be finished," or until the time of their resurrection (Rev. 20:4-15).

Death is an ugly enemy with a painful sting (1 Cor. 15 :26,56). It is the condemnation of God (Rom. 5:12,18,19). It is the wages of sin (Rom. 6:23). Man seeks to beautify it and make a friend of it. God will rid His creation of it by destroying it (1 Cor. 15 :26). God’s answer to and cure for death is resurrection (1 Cor. 15 :20-28).
J. Kirk

"But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep." 1 Cor. 15:20

God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:08 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,765,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
The glory of the resurrection

J. Kirk

"But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep." 1 Cor. 15:20

God bless.
Your awesome shana .. Marry me ... !?!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

That's really sweet, Ironmaw God bless you!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Does anyone attend even part-time a Christian church that teaches that "soul sleep" is the truth?

Can you tell me what church you or anyone you may know go to that has an official position supporting the concept of soul-sleep?
Most good Christians like myself attend a good Christian Church, so we can answer from first hand knowledge about our church's POV on the topic..
(Shana, as no one in the world believes as you do, you can go ahead and GOOGLE your answers...LOL)

The QUESTION ONE:

What Christian Church teaches that "soul sleep" is true?

QUESTION TWO:
Aside from the cults, is soul sleep taught as being true in any Christian Church Y/N?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Do believers go to heaven when they die?

More on the glory of the resurrection
Quote:
An electric light serves as a good illustration of the difference between the body, the soul, and the spirit. Let the bulb and its filament, which is made from the elements out of the earth, represent the body. Let the electricity, an invisible force, represent the spirit. Let the light and heat produced by the union of the electricity with the bulb, represent the soul. When the connection is broken the light goes out. Out where? To the unseen or unperceived.
When God created man, He formed him out of the dust of the ground. He then breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and as a result man became a living soul (Gen 2:7).
Death is a reversal of what happened in the creation. At death, the spirit (not the consciousness, but the force from God which when united with the body produces it) returns to God from whence it came. The soul (the sensation, the consciousness, the ego) dies. The body returns to the dust and the person is dead until resurrection.
Failure to grasp the truth concerning death strikes at the very heart of the gospel. Whatever the wages of sin is, Jesus Christ endured it to the full, in order to become man's Saviour. If the wages of sin is eternal punishment, Jesus Christ could not be the Saviour of anyone, for He did not endure that. If the wages of sin is annihilation, He could not be the Saviour of anyone, for He did not endure that. "The wages of sin is death" (Rom 6:23). "Christ died for our sins, was buried and was raised the third day" (1 Cor 15:1-5).
Failure to recognize the facts concerning death makes resurrection unimportant. If the dead are alive enjoying the bliss of a better life without a body, what real need is there for a resurrection? When the facts that the dead are really dead is understood, resurrection becomes all-important. "If there is no resurrection, let us eat and drink for tomorrow we die" (1 Cor 15:32). The only scriptural hope for the dead is resurrection, apart from which there is no further life for them. "The dead live not until (resurrection)". See Rev 20:4-12 and compare John 5:28,29. Two resurrections separated by a thousand years are referred to in these passages.
George L. Rogers

God bless.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
I was a practicing Catholic for over 20 years, they do not teach soul sleep.

I am a current member of a Southern Baptist Church, they do not teach soul sleep.

Because of one of my children's health, we have not been able to attend our Church regularly for a few months.

Since then, we are reading through the Bible, having daily devotions, prayer, and we listen to praise and woship music. Us getting together every morning and afternoon is what we now have to consider "church".

We were happy members of our Church, but upon reading scripture, we have questioned some beliefs like the Secret Rapture . . . we read that it is not going to be Secret . . . . or death . . we read that we do not go straight to heaven or hell . . . . that is what the first resurrection is for . . . there are so many scriptures that teach it.

Our good friends include other Baptists, Non-Denominational Churc goers, Pentecostals, Seventh Day Adventists, and Jewish people.

I believe that the Seventh Day Adventists believe this, though I can't say for certain, I will ask my friend.

I personally, know that Truth does not always come from the pulpit, a denomination, etc . . . but it always comes from the Bible.

If we refuse to question doctrine, that goes against the scripture, we need to ask ourselves why?

All truth comes from scripture, not the pulpit or a Church necessarily, not all.

The QUESTION ONE:
What Christian Church teaches that "soul sleep" is true?

QUESTION TWO:
Aside from the cults, is soul sleep taught as being true in any Christian Church Y/N?

1,821 posts, read 2,336,095 times
Quote:
QUESTION TWO:

in Germany some protestant (Lutheran) theologists hold to soul sleep as far as I know, some of the reformators as far as I know holdto it, Luther might have been inconsistent - but in one writing he teaches soul-sleep, personally I attend no church at all, so I don't care what any church does teach.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

in Germany some protestant (Lutheran) theologists
Are there any official teachings from any Christian church that support soul sleep as being the real and final truth?

In my Lutheran church here the idea of soul sleep is clearly seen as being error.
Go to any funeral of a Lutheran here and you will clearly see that we do hold to the idea that the believers who have passed on are with the Lord.

I do see that many people on their own might come up with all kinds of wild ways to understand some of the text, but what I'm asking is for some official statements that support the idea of soul sleep from any Christian church?

There may be some christian churches that hold to this idea I don't know of, and that is why I ask
But what is clear to me is the lack of a name of a Church from any of the supporters of this teaching.
The fact that there is no name of a church on the tip of their tongue shows you just how without support this idea is,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity