Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times

Advertisements

Here is an old post that I think is head on scripture and quite biblical.

QUOTE=antredd;7252914]You are right. The Greek word for begotten is monogenes. Monogenes is used nine times. In every case, it is used to describe a relationship between a parent and child (Luke 7:12; 8:42; 9:38; John 1:14; 3:16, 18; Hebrews 11:17; 1 John 4:9). Since this is how the Holy Spirit uses the word in the New Testament, we must accept this definition.

But the bible declares repeatedly that Jesus Christ is the "only begotten" Son of God. This shows that Jesus is the Son of GOD, in a manner no other person can be. It actually shows that he is OF the substance of GOD, and truly Divine. Thus, the term "only begotten" shows that Christ is not a son by title, or a son by creation, but is truly the Son of GOD. What amazes me is that many people, on both sides of the coin are attacking the "begottenness" of Christ. Some who deny the divinity of Christ attack it, and some who uphold the divinity of Christ attack it! So what is it? Jesus can't be God's Son and share his Father's exact nature and essence by being equally eternal and divine?[/quote]

I believe Jesus is God's begotten son and shares God the Father's Divinity, as does the Holy Spirit.

All God. Even in revealations Jesus told John that he himself did not know the date of the last day . . . . and he is in Heaven with his Father . . . God the Father raised his begotten divine son from the dead. Not created, but begotten . . . two very different meanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Quote:
Jesus raised up His own body from the dead...this means that Jesus was not asleep during the time his body was in the tomb...
Why not if all power in heaven and on earth was given to Him? He was dead and was raised to life.

Acts 2

22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken[c] by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; 24 whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it. 25 For David says concerning Him:

‘ I foresaw the LORD always before my face,
For He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.
26 Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad;
Moreover my flesh also will rest in hope.
27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades,
Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.
28 You have made known to me the ways of life;
You will make me full of joy in Your presence.’[d]

29 “Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Therefore, being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that of the fruit of his body, according to the flesh, He would raise up the Christ to sit on his throne,[e] 31 he, foreseeing this, spoke concerning the resurrection of the Christ, that His soul was not left in Hades, nor did His flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. 33 Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear.

God bless.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I attend various congregations. I am a member of the church. Which one do you attend? God bless.
My wife and I go to the local Lutheran church...
(I'm Norwegian so being Lutheran is a bit like being blond, we just are born this way)

But back to you, does any church you go to hold to an official position that the spirits of people that have died are asleep?
Or is this something you made up all by yourself?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
Scripture points many times that Jesus, was dead in the grave. God, the Father, raised him up.

Turn to Acts 2:

Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Whom God (Yahweh) hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Of all the differences between Jesus and Yahweh (his Father), this is the most dramatic. Jesus was dead! Then, He was raised back to life by the One that cannot die.

Acts 4:10:

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

Chapter 5:

The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Savior, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

I Corinthians 15:

And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.

Hebrews 13:

Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the covenant of the age,

Ephesians 1:

And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

There are many more verses like the above, but these few should be sufficient to establish the fact that Yahweh was alive and well during the time that Jesus was dead – an impossibility if they were one and the same person.

At this point, someone may ask, "But didn’t Jesus say that He had power to lay down his own life and that He had power to take it again?" This would indicate that Jesus raised himself from the grave. Admittedly, the King James Version does lend itself to that – at least a little bit. However, an honest reading of the passage, again, relieves us of this error – especially when it is translated correctly.

John 10 is the scripture in question:

17. Therefore does my Father love me, because I am laying down my soul, that I might receive it again. No man took it from me, but I am laying it down of myself. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment (authorization) have I received of my Father.

I had a problem when I was studying the Bible, if it didn't line up with my "church" doctrine, first Catholicism, and some things in the Baptist Doctrine. I believe the Baptist doctrine to be quite biblical on the majority of teaching. But, all teaching has to line up with scripture.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
My wife and I go to the local Lutheran church...
(I'm Norwegian so being Lutheran is a bit like being blond, we just are born this way)
Thank you for sharing. God bless.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Can anyone name for me a Christian church that holds to the "Soul Sleep" teachings as being their official point of view?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM

I know soul sleep is not an official catholic position...I know its not Lutheran...I know it's not Baptist....

so what church is running around pushing this idea?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Is this an Anglican idea?
Is this more a idea in the off-shoot christian church like the 7th dayers?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM

I have forgotten if Soul sleep is a COC teaching or not?
Is this an idea of the JWs?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 PM

It is a teaching found in the scriptures, "sleep" meaning "death". Some scriptural references.

John 5
28`Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, 29and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment. (YLT)

They (not just their bodies) are in the tombs and shall come forth according to Jesus. Also

John 11:
9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” 11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.” 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity