Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 09:40 PM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Paul was trying to comfort the Thessalonians (not dead people) with the promise of the resurrection, so we should can comfort each other with this great hope.
ILNC, I believe that this is what Ironmaw was saying. Paul was comforting the Thessalonians concerning the promise of the resurrection. This is when we are made alive. God bless.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
When Christ met Mary Mag in the garden he said he had not yet ascended. I don't have my study, but there is scripture reflecting that Jesus was in the grave or tomb, and his spirit had not ascended.

He would have talked about his soul meeting his father, or mentioned that. He was in the grave, as we will be till our glorious resurrection.
No, He was talking about when He would ascend to Heaven later in the clouds as the disciples watched. If He did not ascend to Heaven, the Holy Spirit could not come. I believe the second I die (if the rapture doesn't come first) I will be in the presence of the Lord.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Quote:
When Christ met Mary Mag in the garden he said he had not yet ascended. .
Yes, he had not ascended yet...it would be another 40 days before he would rise up off the earth.

This is like what we also will do when we rise up out of the grave.

So to review.
Jesus is on the cross and he prays to the Father.
"Into thy hands I commit my spirit" and he dies.
The dead body just hangs there for many more hours, but the spirit of Jesus is in the hands of the Father"

3 days later Jesus has his own resurrection and his dad body is changed in nature to an everlasting body of flesh and bone.

His death and resurrection is the pattern that we shall be like.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM

Another key passage

1 Thessalonians 4

13And I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, that ye may not sorrow, as also the rest who have not hope,
14for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, so also God those asleep through Jesus he will bring with him,
15for this to you we say in the word of the Lord, that we who are living -- who do remain over to the presence of the Lord -- may not precede those asleep,
16because the Lord himself, in a shout, in the voice of a chief-messenger, and in the trump of God, shall come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ shall rise first,
17then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be; 18so, then, comfort ye one another in these words.

God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM

I believe that the spirit goes to be with the Father when we die, but that it is not conscious. Jesus was in the grave and was raised to life by the Father. God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,465,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No, He was talking about when He would ascend to Heaven later in the clouds as the disciples watched. If He did not ascend to Heaven, the Holy Spirit could not come. I believe the second I die (if the rapture doesn't come first) I will be in the presence of the Lord.
Yes, for many years I believed that to ILNC. That is what I would prefer. But from what I have learned in my bible study, sort of shocked me, and disappointed me. I feel, that scripture is very clear on this. One of my son's who also had believed all his life that his soul, or he would be in heaven after , has also concurred, as the rest of the people in this Bible study. I was quite suprised myself. But this is truth for me now. God Bless, Lifesigns64

PS I didn't even want to do this study, because I believed as you did, and was quite enlightened by it.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Yes, for many years I believed that to ILNC. That is what I would prefer. But from what I have learned in my bible study, sort of shocked me, and disappointed me. I feel, that scripture is very clear on this. One of my son's who also had believed all his life that his soul, or he would be in heaven after , has also concurred, as the rest of the people in this Bible study. I was quite suprised myself. But this is truth for me now. God Bless, Lifesigns64

PS I didn't even want to do this study, because I believed as you did, and was quite enlightened by it.
I believe it because it is what the Bible teaches. Maybe that's why you believed it too, because it's true. Don't be mislead by false teachings.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Another key passage

1 Corinthians 15

12And if Christ is preached, that out of the dead he hath risen, how say certain among you, that there is no rising again of dead persons?

13and if there be no rising again of dead persons, neither hath Christ risen;
14and if Christ hath not risen, then void [is] our preaching, and void also your faith,
15and we also are found false witnesses of God, because we did testify of God that He raised up the Christ, whom He did not raise if then dead persons do not rise;
16for if dead persons do not rise, neither hath Christ risen,
17and if Christ hath not risen, vain is your faith, ye are yet in your sins;
18then, also, those having fallen asleep in Christ *did perish;
19if in this life we have hope in Christ only, of all men we are most to be pitied.
20And now, Christ hath risen out of the dead -- the first-fruits of those sleeping he became,
21for since through man [is] the death, also through man [is] a rising again of the dead,
22for even as in Adam all die, so also in the Christ all shall be made alive,
23and each in his proper order, a first-fruit Christ, afterwards those who are the Christ's, in his presence, 24then -- the end, when he may deliver up the reign to God, even the Father, when he may have made useless all rule, and all authority and power --

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-21-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM

Here's one on the death of Stephen

Acts 7:

57And they, having cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and did rush with one accord upon him,
58and having cast him forth outside of the city, they were stoning [him] -- and the witnesses did put down their garments at the feet of a young man called Saul --
59and they were stoning Stephen, calling and saying, `Lord Jesus, receive my spirit;' 60and having bowed the knees, he cried with a loud voice, `Lord, mayest thou not lay to them this sin;' and this having said, he fell asleep

God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I believe it because it is what the Bible teaches
Our beliefs on this also are because of what the Bible teaches, ILNC. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity