Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe the second I die (if the rapture doesn't come first) I will be in the presence of the Lord.
I 99% believe that too. (just a sidenote, of why I say "99%". I am up front with things that I am not 100% convinced on, that's why I leave a 1% possiblity open.)

But... the 1% possiblity that I will leave open is that, possibly... YES, the second I die, I will be in the presence of Christ. HOWEVER... what if it only FEELS like a second, because even if a hundred years have passed since I died, it could, to ME, absolutely SEEM like one second! Because if I was not conscious all those years, then yes, it basically would be a true statement from where my point of view that it was "one second!"

Do you understand what I mean?

Personally.. like I said... I do believe (for the most part) that there is no soul sleep and that when we die, we do go on... I believe this for many different reasons and for things that have happened, things I've witnessed when loved ones have died and things that have happened afterwards.
BUT.. even with all of that, I do leave open the possiblity that God was showing us something of the FUTURE. He was giving us a comforting picture of what is TO BE... perhaps not what is NOW.

Either way, whichever scenario is the true one.. I have absolute faith in the unfailing love of our Father. My Father who has the best interests of ALL of His children in mind. So it does not bother me or make me fear.
I trust Him.

hope that all made sense and wasn't too confusing.. lol.

peace,
love you all,
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:28 PM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Thanks for sharing and love to you too God bless.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:35 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Thanks for sharing and love to you too God bless.
Thank you, sister..

Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I will be in the presence of the Lord.
I believe this is correct and the right way to understand the verses such as the one that teaches that to be "away" from the body is to be "at home" with the Lord.

As far as I know, the ONLY time in my future where I will ever be without a body comes when I die and my body rots in the grave.
For that time, (be it millions if not billions of years it does not matter) I will be away from that body, but at home with the Lord.

I also believe that to be 'at home" with the lord is to be very much awake...for God is a god of the living, not of the dead and Heaven is not filled with beds where everyone is sleeping, "shhhhhh"
As far as I know, everyone stands in Heaven..,
Never read yet of some laying down in front of him while in heaven....LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I believe this is correct and the right way to understand the verses such as the one that teaches that to be "away" from the body is to be "at home" with the Lord.

As far as I know, the ONLY time in my future where I will ever be without a body comes when I die and my body rots in the grave.
For that time, (be it millions if not billions of years it does not matter) I will be away from that body, but at home with the Lord.

I also believe that to be 'at home" with the lord is to be very much awake...for God is a god of the living, not of the dead and Heaven is not filled with beds where everyone is sleeping, "shhhhhh"
Never read yet of some laying down in front of him while in heaven....LOL
If you are alive and awake in heaven what is the point of the resurrection?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Hi, God is the God of the living because death is temporary, not permanent. No one is sleeping in heaven . They "sleep" in the grave and then are raised to life.

Example:

John 5
28`Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice, 29and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment. (YLT)

They (not just their bodies) are in the tombs and shall come forth according to Jesus. Also

John 11:
9 Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. 10 But if one walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.” 11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, “Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up.”
12 Then His disciples said, “Lord, if he sleeps he will get well.” 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep.
14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, “Lazarus is dead.

Lazarus was dead, not just his body. And Jesus did not say, "Let me go get Lazarus down from heaven." He said "I go that I may wake him up."

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-22-2009 at 07:24 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,572,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Acts 2:29, 34
“Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us to this day ... for David is NOT ascended into heaven.”
All this means is that David's body did not ascend to heaven that it is still in the grave. Only one person can make that claim and that is Jesus. This verse has nothing to do with soul sleep or if we go immediately to heaven after we die. This verse is primarily about the identity of Christ deity.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
If you are alive and awake in heaven what is the point of the resurrection?
That is very simple: To reunite the soul with the body. The soul was never meant to exist outside the body. That is why Jesus warns:

Matthew 10:28
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Fortunately, the UR's here have nothing to be afraid of ...... hasn't anybody informed Jesus yet?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Hi the passage in Acts says that David is not ascended into heaven, referring to David, not just His body. David died and was buried. God bless.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
The soul was never meant to exist outside the body.
Agree. It does not exist without the body. God bless.

Psalms 6:5. "For in death there is no remembrance of thee:in the grave who shall give thee thanks?"

Psalms 146
1Praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD, O my soul!
2I will praise the LORD while I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
3Do not trust in princes,
In mortal man, in whom there is no salvation.
4His spirit departs, he returns to the earth;

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-22-2009 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity