Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,442,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post

If you just started this thread to be a big pat-on-back party for god, then why are you so pleased with yourself and your accomplishments?

I did not respond to your topic to make light of what you have done. If you would like me to leave your thread alone I will, and I am sorry if I upset you. Not my intention.
You didn't upset me, but you DELIBERATELY, by being an athiest, responded to this thread for what reason? My radar just went off knowing from reading some of your atheistic posts that you were probably trying to stir up some debate with me about my faith, which is fine. But again, why come into a forum that's primarily written to encourage fellow believers?

As far as thinking you are a heathen, I never said that nor do I hope you think that I see you as one. I see you simply as a human being who obviously was inspired by reading my thread to post on it, and I thank you for at least doing that. How's that?

I hope you don't mind me telling you my testimony as to how I became a christian. It wasn't by some holy roller loud mouth preacher saying that if I don't accept Jesus as my personal saviour, I am going to hell and burn up. It was by simply reading the Word of God, and realizing that I needed a saviour, and that Jesus was the answer FOR ME so that I could live a more enriching life. I tell you this, since I have been a christian, I have had a very enriching life, not perfect, not all peaches and cream, but blessed in the sense that I still am in my right mind, my health has improved, and I still have a job even though my job stopped at my name when they decided to lay off 300 teachers in my school district. That wasn't luck.

I am pleased with myself because by losing the weight, I CAN GLORIFY GOD AND GIVE HIM THE CREDIT for helping me lose it. You should be able to relate to this. You go to a gym and hire a fitness trainer because you are 50 pounds overweight. Your trainer puts you on a strict diet and exercise routine. After about 5 months, you have lost 50 pounds. Do you not pat yourself on the back and give your trainer credit as well? I hope you see where I am going with this, the same applies to my faith as well, and God being behind helping me reach my weight loss goal--nothing more and especially nothing less.

God may not be for you nor his Son Jesus. I won't preach that to you because I am sure you have heard it all and by people who simply want you to convert. That's not my intent, nor your intent shouldn't be to turn people into athiests.

But I hope that you can at least understand why us religious folk behave the way we do. With out God there is no hope. With out Jesus there is no ressurrection. I rather have my hope built on Jesus' blood and righteousness rather than gamble with something, IN MY OPINION, is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:40 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,410,639 times
Losing weight is really not that difficult once you set YOUR mind to it. I lost 40-50 simply by eating less, which included cutting out excess sugar and starch, and running on a treadmill. I am glad you lost weight. Keep up the good work!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:04 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I had started this same thread in another forum. But the Lord has blessed me and put this topic on my heart to share it with all of my fellow believers who may be struggling with weight and diabetes like me in this thread as well.

To make a long story short, I found out on May 17, 2009 that I was a type 2 diabetic. I tipped the scale at 208 pounds, and being a short man of 5'7'' tall and 42 years old, that was heavy. Also, my medical test results clearly showed that my cholesteral, triglycerides, and blood sugar levels were through the roof, and I needed to get them lowered. My blood sugar was as high as 500, and I had blurred vision, and was going to the bathroom every two hours. So I knew something was wrong.

So here's what I did. I simply gave up all fast foods. I used to eat fast foods for lunch and dinner a week about 3-5 times. Since I am a teacher (which alone is a very stressful job) and active at my local church, it was easier for me to get something fast to eat instead of eating healthy since I wouldn't always come directly home after work.

Then I gave up the sugary drinks I loved---rootbeer soda, starbucks frappiccinos, milk shakes, and I started drinking lots of water.

The first week I switched over to eating just salads with lean meats. I began watching my carbs not going over more than 55 carbs per meal.

After 4 weeks I noticed that my 38 waist pants were getting bigger on me.
After 8 weeks, I noticed that I was feeling much better and I noticed that my gut was going down as well as my love handles. Then I started eating Weight Watchers steamers for lunch, which by the way they are actually good becauase I got tired of eating just salads for lunch.

I will say too that I TOTALLY STOPPED BEING GREEDY. When I want a steak, I eat just a portion of it. Instead of eating 3 pieces of fried chicken I only eat one piece, but I pile up more vegetables on my plate, making it half of what I eat off my plate instead of a fourth or a third. I don't eat any large portions of white rice anymore. I gave up all white bread switching to whole grain or wheat. I drink water with every meal, and when I do want to drink something besides water. I drink unsweetened iced tea with splenda. I also drink diet soda too, and I am used to the flavor.

Another thing I changed about my eating habits is now I eat 3 meals a day and snack in between. I never would eat breakfast in the morning and would just wait to eat lunch because I thought that by not eating breakfast that would keep me from gaining weight. It basically did the opposite by lowering my metabolism.

Now I would be lying if I said I don't cheat. When I want to eat something sweet, I do. Instead of eating half of the oreo cookies in the package. I only eat 3 of them. Instead of eating a whole pint of ice cream (cookies n cream is my favorite) I just eat three spoonfuls. Instead of eating a whole bag of chips, I eat maybe 5-7 chips. I just read how much is a serving on any food or snack I am about to eat, and I don't go over that amount so that I can stay within my total carb intake for the day.

On August 27, 2009 (3 months since I was diagnosed a type 2 diabetic) my doctor's nurse weighed me, and I weighed 188 pounds. Man talking about praising God for giving me the inspiration to stick to my diet plan. I was blown away, because I had not started exercising. I just changed my bad eating habits and stopped being greedy.

After the last doctor's visit, I was movtivated to start a treadmill routine. My 5 day routine is as follows:
I do a 5 minute warm up on a 5% incline. After 5 minutes, I do 7-10 intervals of brisk walking at 3.5 mph for 30 secs. Then for 60 seconds I walk slowly at about 1.5 mph. (THE LATEST RESEARCH SAYS YOU GET MORE CALORIE BURNING BANG FOR YOUR BUCK WHEN YOU EXERCISE THIS WAY) After doing those 7-10 intervals, I walk backwards 60 seconds at 1.5 mph, then I walk forward at 3.5 mph for 30 seconds repeating these intervals for about 5 times. Then I cool down for 5 mins and stretch. It averages about 30-45 mins depending on how many intervals I do. (Now I didn't start off in the beginning doing this routine. I worked my way gradually up to it.)

Today, I weighed my self and I now weigh 182.4 pounds. Halleluah and Praise God. I would not have ever thought that I would have the motivation to become fit. If I can do it, anyone can. I keep rememebering Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

My goal now is to get down to about 170 pounds and then start some weight training about two times a week to tone, and with the Lord's help by eating better and working out, I can keep the weight off.

I hope my story helps others who are diabetic and need to lose some extra pounds.
I think that is wonderful. God even cares about our bodies, because our body does not belong to us. It is funny that you have some on here that don't want you to pay the credit to God. It is funny to me because, if you notice, the devil does't want to pay God any credit for anything. So, this is only his work, being done by people.

I will say this, in college I was always a size 0 to a 2. AFter I graduated I gained 40 pounds, but thank God I am 5 9 and I was still in normal range of weight. But God has helped me get back on track and I am almost back to my college weight.

God is helping me, not just me. Because if it was up to me, I would sit around and eat sweets all day because that is my weakness. But God is giving me what I need.

So, I understand what you are going through and what God is doing in your life. Keep giving God the Glory and credit, because He is the one.

Ignore idiots who try to pull you down where they are. In the long run, you will be smiling and they will be frowning.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I think that is wonderful. God even cares about our bodies, because our body does not belong to us. It is funny that you have some on here that don't want you to pay the credit to God. It is funny to me because, if you notice, the devil does't want to pay God any credit for anything. So, this is only his work, being done by people.

I will say this, in college I was always a size 0 to a 2. AFter I graduated I gained 40 pounds, but thank God I am 5 9 and I was still in normal range of weight. But God has helped me get back on track and I am almost back to my college weight.

God is helping me, not just me. Because if it was up to me, I would sit around and eat sweets all day because that is my weakness. But God is giving me what I need.

So, I understand what you are going through and what God is doing in your life. Keep giving God the Glory and credit, because He is the one.

Ignore idiots who try to pull you down where they are. In the long run, you will be smiling and they will be frowning.
I love you my sister. I appreciate the encouragement. God bless you!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 03:00 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,144 times
Quote:
I love you my sister. I appreciate the encouragement. God bless you!!!!!!
Anytime, I might need a little encouragement from time to time. I still love sweets, but God is awesome. I can honestly say that God's hand is really helping me.

What is family for but to help. Our Father will take care of us.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:08 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,310,784 times
Quote:

You didn't upset me, but you DELIBERATELY, by being an athiest, responded to this thread for what reason?
This atheist is deliberately responding to your thread to offer her congratulations to you!

June doesn't care who gives or gets the "credit." June is just glad that you are well, healthier, and sounding happy about it!

--Along with writing what was indeed, a very 'inspiring' testimony as regards one's health.

For which June expresses her thanks and gratitude.

Take gentle (healthy!) care.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Anytime, I might need a little encouragement from time to time. I still love sweets, but God is awesome. I can honestly say that God's hand is really helping me.

What is family for but to help. Our Father will take care of us.
It's funny you say how you love sweets. I do too. When my wife makes peach cobbler or anything sweet. This is what I do now. I take a large spoon and just get that amount to eat, just to get me over the temptation from wanting to eat more than that. It works too--at least for me.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
This atheist is deliberately responding to your thread to offer her congratulations to you!

June doesn't care who gives or gets the "credit." June is just glad that you are well, healthier, and sounding happy about it!

--Along with writing what was indeed, a very 'inspiring' testimony as regards one's health.

For which June expresses her thanks and gratitude.

Take gentle (healthy!) care.
I love you June, and thank you so much.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM

8,002 posts, read 12,310,784 times
Quote:
I love you June, and thank you so much.
June loves you too, skinny, weight loss guy!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 PM

Here's an update. I am currently hovering around 174-178 pounds. My family, friends, and church members have all noticed how fit I have gotten and how good I am looking. I just keep giving God the glory and praise for working in me and helping me be an inspiration for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity