Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:38 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,690 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen many threads about the newer R/T's so here's my experience so far...

In October 2016 I bought a new Charger R/T...B5 blue.
I've put 34K on it in the 13 months I've had it...I love this car...and the color.
B5 blue is gorgeous...it brings out the awesome lines of the car and looks good in any lighting...even when dirty. Not that my car gets dirty much since I wash it 3-4 times each week and keep it in the garage when not driving it.

I can get up to 28-29 MPG with that Hemi if I keep my foot out of it, which is hard to do...
I had to buy a RADAR detector because it's very smooth and with the eight speed transmission, it's very easy to creep up to 100mph without realizing it. Heck, at 75-80mph it's only around 1,500rpm.

Putting my foot in it a lot gives me 20-21mpg but my actual average has been 23-24mpg.

I noticed a HUGE difference in performance by only using 91 octane versus anything else...I'm having trouble finding 93 or above near me.

I have a few stoplights near me where it's a five lane long stretch with not much traffic where it's fairly safe to race a bit. I haven't had but two cars out run me...one was a Camaro SS and the other was a modded STI. I have had quite a few Mustangs that soundeed real fast and modified try and to my surprize, I walked away from them pretty easily. I even walked a bunch of bikes...not superbikes though...haven't had the chance to try although I suspect they'll destroy me.

I will say one bad thing...at 4,475 miles the engine froze up. Turns out a valve dropped into the #1 cylider and seized the engine....I never heard a single sound, it just stopped. I was barely idling when it happened.
FCA/Chrysler sent the dealer a new engine and I was back on the road in bit over a week. They gave me a 2500 Dodge Ram to drive while I waited.

All the mechanics I talked to have confirmed that it was a freak occurrance and I have had no trouble since.

Oh, and BTW I financed the entire thing at 0%!

So far, I'm very happy...anyone else with the latest Chargers want to tell of their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:56 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
I bought a '14 Charger R/T in '16 to replace an '03 Grand Marquis to serve any four door duties that may crop up and for long road trips with my wife.

Mine has the five speed yet I can get 23+ mpg highway at 75-80 mph.

The car is quite quick for its size in spite of the 2:65 rear axle ratio.

I would love to see a six speed manual option for the Charger but that won't ever happen, unfortunately.

My '10 Camaro SS takes car of that need.

So far it's been a reliable car with apprx 53,000 miles on it.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:43 PM

I thiink mine has the3.07 final...but I'm not 100% sure on that.
I will say that it FEELS like it has more than 370hp, but maybe that's because of the 8spd?

For reference, I've had many 70-74 Cudas and Challengers in my lifetime, often 5-6 at any given time. Boy do I wish I still had at least 10 of them...

Oh, my Charger has minimal options but it does have the 20" black chrome wheels and the big nav system and the Beats sound system. Usually I wouldn't care about the sound system however, I do appreciate it now that I have it.

Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,451,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I haven't seen many threads about the newer R/T's so here's my experience so far...

In October 2016 I bought a new Charger R/T...B5 blue.
I've put 34K on it in the 13 months I've had it...I love thi*s car...and the color.
B5 blue is gorgeous...it brings out the awesome lines of the car and looks good in any lighting...even when dirty. Not that my car gets dirty much since I wash it 3-4 times each week and keep it in the garage when not driving it.

I can get up to 28-29 MPG with that Hemi if I keep my foot out of it, which is hard to do...
I had to buy a RADAR detector because it's very smooth and with the eight speed transmission, it's very easy to creep up to 100mph without realizing it. Heck, at 75-80mph it's only around 1,500rpm.

Putting my foot in it a lot gives me 20-21mpg but my actual average has been 23-24mpg.

I noticed a HUGE difference in performance by only using 91 octane versus anything else...I'm having trouble finding 93 or above near me.

I have a few stoplights near me where it's a five lane long stretch with not much traffic where it's fairly safe to race a bit. I haven't had but two cars out run me...one was a Camaro SS and the other was a modded STI. I have had quite a few Mustangs that soundeed real fast and modified try and to my surprize, I walked away from them pretty easily. I even walked a bunch of bikes...not superbikes though...haven't had the chance to try although I suspect they'll destroy me.

I will say one bad thing...at 4,475 miles the engine froze up. Turns out a valve dropped into the #1 cylider and seized the engine....I never heard a single sound, it just stopped. I was barely idling when it happened.
FCA/Chrysler sent the dealer a new engine and I was back on the road in bit over a week. They gave me a 2500 Dodge Ram to drive while I waited.
Thanks
All the mechanics I talked to have confirmed that it was a freak occurrance and I have had no trouble since.

Oh, and BTW I financed the entire thing at 0%!

So far, I'm very happy...anyone else with the latest Chargers want to tell of their experiences?
This advertisement is brought to you by FCA.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post

It's too bad you can't stand that someone is happy with their car....maybe you could go troll elsewhere.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:16 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Welcome to the automotive forum.

Tell us what you drive and if you enjoy it as much as many of us who are car people enjoy our rides.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:03 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I have a '16 Charger SXT AWD Rallye which has been terrific and which I love. Redline red pearlescent paint, black and red leather seats, and just about all the options other than the tech package that includes lane keeping, etc. This car replaced a 2013 Charger AWD. Love love love them.

I loved both of them but have to say I noticed a considerable difference in the improvement in ride and handling of the 2016 vs the 2013. The 2013 did not have the sport package on it however, so a lot of the difference may be the suspension and tire enhancements the Rallye package provides. I am up a bit on power too with the 2016, 300 HP even vs, 292 for the 2013.

Obviously I am not in them for the tire melting V8 power, but a lot of that has to do with Buffalo winters and the desire to have the all wheel drive. Really, for me the best attribute of the car is the ride and handling dynamics. They can be fun and sporty (if a bit big to truly feel light and tossable), while maintaining a very smooth and composed ride. It really is a terrific highway car eating up miles, but can provide some other fun too. I have had both on track at Watkins Glen International (road course) where both are entertaining (if not sports car like... I have had those on track there too, Fieros, a BRZ, WRX, and Volvo C30... ).

Problems with either have been minimal. I had a cruise control button go bad on the 2013, and a wiring issue in the climate system. My 2016 has been problem free.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I have a '16 Charger SXT AWD Rallye which has been terrific and which I love. Redline red pearlescent paint, black and red leather seats, and just about all the options other than the tech package that includes lane keeping, etc. This car replaced a 2013 Charger AWD. Love love love them.

I loved both of them but have to say I noticed a considerable difference in the improvement in ride and handling of the 2016 vs the 2013. The 2013 did not have the sport package on it however, so a lot of the difference may be the suspension and tire enhancements the Rallye package provides. I am up a bit on power too with the 2016, 300 HP even vs, 292 for the 2013.

Obviously I am not in them for the tire melting V8 power, but a lot of that has to do with Buffalo winters and the desire to have the all wheel drive. Really, for me the best attribute of the car is the ride and handling dynamics. They can be fun and sporty (if a bit big to truly feel light and tossable), while maintaining a very smooth and composed ride. It really is a terrific highway car eating up miles, but can provide some other fun too. I have had both on track at Watkins Glen International (road course) where both are entertaining (if not sports car like... I have had those on track there too, Fieros, a BRZ, WRX, and Volvo C30... ).

Problems with either have been minimal. I had a cruise control button go bad on the 2013, and a wiring issue in the climate system. My 2016 has been problem free.
I'm curious when people opt for the v6 instead...other than the AWD was there any other reasons?
What kind of mileage do you get?
What kind of times at the track? I just realised you indicated a road track not a 1/4 miler.

My track times were initially diosappointingbutthen I saw everyone running slower than they should...I'm in Colorado and the track is a bit over a mile high in altitude so that slows us down a bit. The best I was able to do was a 15.3 but that was before I was only using 91 octane...I'll have to go again in the spring.
I do feel as though the car has gotten faster lately.
As for the weight, I've definitely driven heavier cars, but instead of feeling heavy, to me it just feels solid and stable.

I had to wait for my car to be delivered because I did NOT want leather. I actually prefer the fabric they put in now...it doesn't crack, tear, stain or dry out and it grips me in the seat. All the v8 cars at my dealership were leather.

I do have the Beats sound system though and it's fun to crank when playing a song with wobbly or heavy Bass!

Question...have any of you driving Chargers noticed that people get out of the left lane more when you're in the Charger than with other cars? They didn't budge when I was in my Caliber...I would say that they might think I'm a cop but B5 blue kind of says otherwise.

FWIW when I was at the track I challenged a Cop to a race. He was in the previous style Charger patrol car...I smoked him by almost a full second!

Old 12-26-2017, 02:17 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Why the V6? The simple answer is that it met my needs and expectations of what I wanted to drive and how I wanted it to perform. The added cost to buy a V8 (in 2013 when AWD was available retail with a V8) and the associated fuel economy costs just did not seem to enhance the car enough for me for what I wanted it to be. Since there is no V8/AWD combo available retail these days, the V6 AWD was the only Option I had anyway. I am still not disappointed.

Fuel mileage varies a lot. I can see 29-33 on the interstate. During the summer I am usually around 23-24 MPG in mixed use, 18-20 this time of year (very cold so the car is always in active AWD mode with front axles connected, mostly short trips, and winter blend gas).

The car is a daily drive, commuter, and highway trip car for me for the most part and although one reason I chose it is I wanted sporty car stance and style, it does not serve all out "sports car" duty for me either. It's not necessarily a family car, as we usually use my wife's Subaru Outback for errand running and such, but it serves that purpose too.

For pure sports car duty, I typically have a 2 seater stick shift something or other, most recently a Chrysler Crossfire (which replaced a Subaru BRZ). Hence my interest in the road course tracks.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I'm curious when people opt for the v6 instead...other than the AWD was there any other reasons?
What kind of mileage do you get?
Some people don't need gobs of power. 300HP gets the Charger to 60MPH in 6.5 seconds, that's more than adequate for a daily driver for many people, gets the job done for me, I have a 2011 RWD Rallye.

I usually get 23/31 for mileage, and the ride is quite nice, even with my bad back I can go 3 or 4 hours without needing to stop.

I used to replace my vehicles every 2 to 3 years as I got bored with them, going on 7 years with this one and have yet to get the urge to trade it in.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram