Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times

Advertisements

What Hartwell has for Chinese food is a garden-variety takeout place. When the folks get the urge for that kind of a meal, they drive right past it on their way to the Blue Gibbon (LOL.) Along that stretch of Vine St, in a former longtime UDF store, is the Teranga "West African" restaurant. But it's not like Hartwell has become a hot spot for "world cuisine" by any means. Your other dining options are Wendy's, a chili parlor, Lee's Famous Recipe, Frisch's, and the good ol' Vogue Cafe.

Speaking of Carthage, will the last person to leave turn out the lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,557 times
Does anyone recall a horseback riding operation just south of Sugar 'n Spice on Reading Rd? I recall a culvert that crossed under Reading Rd. leading into the trailer park. The horses then went into the park along Victory Parkway. The site of the stable is now a baseball field, backs into Avon Fields. I still live in the area, so many changes, it's been a treat to have this "visit" to the place I remember.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 PM

311 posts, read 1,753,767 times
Default Horse trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigesunt View Post
Does anyone recall a horseback riding operation just south of Sugar 'n Spice on Reading Rd? I recall a culvert that crossed under Reading Rd. leading into the trailer park. The horses then went into the park along Victory Parkway. The site of the stable is now a baseball field, backs into Avon Fields. I still live in the area, so many changes, it's been a treat to have this "visit" to the place I remember.
It was before my time, sigesunt, but my father can recall
a horse trail in that vicinity back in the late 1940's. He
does not recall the culvert specifically, but has a vague
memory that the area east of Victory Parkway was also
part of the trail.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 17,557 times
"Bee's" WAS Breitholle's, I'm pretty sure, the little penny candy store-also ice cream bars and school supplies-across the street from Bond Hill School. Candy bars were a whole nickel, but lots of things were 2 for a penny-red dollars, licorice with candy buttons,pretzel sticks, strips of paper with candy buttons, can't remember them all.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,895 times
Lightbulb Rolleramma

Ruth.... Great memory!! Lets not forget that the Thriftway on Summit started out as a roller rink and one block east was a business that had to be conceived by local Cincinnati attorneys looking for future business. BOUNCELAND, where the general public could down a 6 pack of Hudy and jump out of control until your time was up or you sustained a critical spine injury. Needless to say.......... a business that came and went quickly! I always enjoyed Mr. Jims Steakhouse. Full steak dinner for ??
$1.00? $2.00?

Last edited by Falcon Sprint; 06-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: memory flash

Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,877 times
Smile Bond Hill

I also grew up in Cincinnati and lived in Bond Hill from 1960 to 1969. I went to Bond Hill Elementry starting in 4th grade and spent many pennies at Mr. "Bees." I lived on Rose Place and remember all the places, Albers (even remember the night it burned), Lowenthals, Sally's dress shop, Chili Time and there was a tavern between where Albers had been and Chili Time which was also a hang out. I went to Woodward and spent many a weekend night "cruising" round and round the Frisches Mainliner parking lot. Does anyone remember Bond Hill Park? Paul's Pony Keg and the frozen cool aid in the paper cups? How about the VFW with the canon on California Ave. My friends and I used to climb all over that thing and I took dance lessons there right next door to Oak's and Sydner's groceries..

On Section Road on the corner adjacent to the other Chili Time, my brother in law's family lived and ran "Camper Land" all those campers in the front yard.

There were so many things that were brought to mind reading this thread. Thank's for the memories.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
A couple of quick thoughts - first, as the song goes, thanks for the memories. Then, Loretta's, on Reading Rd. near where Paddock runs into it, served deli food. I remember one particular tasty corned beef dish right after I was taken to see "The Mouse That Roared" then playing in am art theater in Walnut Hills. There were horses by Sugar and Spice. You could rent them, if you were more than nine years old, and take them on trails. They had lessons as well. I planned to ride my bike to them and take lessons the second I turned nine - but the stable vanished from the spot way before that time. Don't forget the kosher butcher, Pilders, on the corner of Northwood and Reading - it was then one of four such places. And, Bilkers across the street, also had kosher food. Now, there are no specifically kosher food stores and the stores that have kosher food are a drive from the Roselawn area. The Valley Shopping Center was once filled with restaurants, interesting stores, and people. The library finally moved from the Valley Shopping Center. It had filled the spot where the Krogers was for many years. Now, those people who are not driving and live in the area have to figure out how to get to Krogers. Thanks for letting me wander from work related topics to memories.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 15,318 times
Default Does anyone know the name?

There was a fruit market next to Capri Pizza. Someone said it was called Big Tree but that is not correct. Big Tree was in Roselawn next to Fish Fair.

Also, the drugstore at Reading & Section in the Roselawn Center Building was Weisbrodt'sand there was a Pure gas station at Northwood and Reading owned by Carl Logan. (we used to hang out there on our bikes)

This string has been outstanding and has brought back many GREAT memories.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 AM

116 posts, read 304,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Klein View Post
On the NE corner was the Cities Service gas station run by Garrett Kaufman. On the SE corner, the Roselawn Center Building was built in the early 50s. It was (is) a two story brick strucure in a U shape. The upper floor was for mostly doctors offices. Street level found drug, hardware, furniture, shoe stores and a bank.

Though others have covered Reading Road to the near north of Section - a couple of notes: Before the large apartment building (Amberley House?) east side across from the Valley Shop-in, there was Jimmy Bats welding shop. The apartment building was origanially a brick venear that particially fell off, c. 1970. Also, just south of the Valley Shop-in was the Roselawn Tavern building (two stories, brick) which housed a restaurant (bar in the basement) and the Roselawn Pharmacy.

West on Section Road, in Edgemont, was (is) Lefty's Tavern and behind it on a side street was a pony keg that sold fireworks on the side.

East on Section Road was a grocery (Thriftway? Albers?) at the intersection of Rienhold Drive which had horse riding trails and a golf course (?) before it became a industrial park. At the intersection of Section and the Pennsylvania RR was Tiny's Sohio (SW corner). Just across the tracks was the Progress Lithographing Company (built 1952) and across from that was (in 1955) the Gibson Art Company. Continuing East, before there was Elbrook (between Section and Losantiville) a dairy farm took up all the land up to Fair Oaks Drive. I was born in the house on that SW corner in 1942. Our mailing address was, RR 3, Lockland, Ohio.
I believe that that was Valley Pharmacy. Roselawn Pharmacy was, and is, in the strip center where the Valley Theater was.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM

116 posts, read 304,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worseck View Post
There was a Castle Farm(s) Supper Club in Cincinnati in the 1930s and 1940s, possibly into the early 1950s. One reference I found to it said it was in Roselawn so it might have been on Reading Road. Does anyone know the locaction (street and/or intersection) of this club?
I remember going to Castle Farms into the late 50s early 60s.

We were at the Jewish Center one night for an AZA meeting and someone came across the street to get us so that we could go to Castle Farms to see Jackie Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati