Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 03:30 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrikeye View Post
went to Swifton grades 1-3. Kindergarten was at Bond hill. My mother saved most of my old school pictures and I am looking at my 2nd grade class photo. The teacher according to my mother was Ms. Tavlin. I forgot about her but if I remember correctly 1st grade was Ms Neely, and 3rd grade was Ms Bernstein .
Teachers in my day included Brehmer for kindergarten, MacGuire for grade 1
and Meadows for grade 2. Miss Brehmer's recent death was noted in another
thread. Mrs. Meadows was a homicide victim many years ago. No idea what
became of Mrs. MacGuire.

The school has been shuttered and boarded for years, and may even be
razed by now. In the early 1960's, though, it looked quite modern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 03:32 PM

116 posts, read 304,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
I believe you refer to Manny Israelski and his bridge lessons. He operated out
of that space ...
I'm talking about the friendly neighborhood high stakes poker games that the cops raided periodically

Going back S on Reading. I don't remember mention of Beth Am at Reading and Elizabeth (BTW, the synagogue in the old theater was Beth Hamedrish Hagadol) Both of these congregations are defunct..

S of that between Beth Am and the auto glass shop was a butcher and deli (Kosher? Schneiders?). Great sandwiches. They also served French Fries in a paper bag with catchup..Greasy and good!!!!!!!!!!

At one time there were three Kosher butchers within a block. Seidners on California, Schneiders and ?????????? next to Lowenthals. Also in that block was a barber shop. Jim cut my hair for years-then he moved to the Valley Shopping Center

There was talk earlier about a restaurant/bar (diner, hole in the wall) on the S side of California near Paddock. I cant remember the name but we walked down there from Bond Hill School for take out lunch. Real greasy spoon

Last edited by Mikey1003; 06-08-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 67,308 times
Default Bond Hill / Roselawn

Prior to Duff's Smorgasteria was a shoe store. After Duff's was Tom Thumb slot car raceway. Carter's Restauarant had the original Kentucky Fried Chicken frequented by a guy named Sailor. Downstairs was a party room.Dow's drugstore - Sarah was at the counter and had all of the kids hotdogs and cherry cokes waiting for them at noon. I used to go there in 3rd grade.
Archie Balls, the candy man had everything for a nickel. When he went to the back to get a popsicle all of the kids pocketed the freebies!
Parkmoor spelled backwards was Roomkrap. Great fried chicken by the bucket.
Next to Carter's was the Bucaneer motel where jazz great Oscar Peterson used to play piano and stay at the Egherman's on Debonair.
Prior to Chili Time at Section was a Sinclair gas station w/dinosaur. Next to Summit Bowl was a Sunoco station. Across from Summit Bowl was Saxon's Roast Beef which you could get to by walking to the end of Crest Hills and go down the steps to reading Rd.
Barrow's pharmacy at Summit & Reading with Rothstein's bakery.. later Avon bakery. The bus to Walnut Hills H.S. would stop in front of Bond Hill White Castle @ 7:15 A.M. and kids would get out and get belly bombers, onion rings, and shakes.The side door was always propped open at the Gardens for roller derby, Royals games, wrestling, Chicago-Dave Mason

Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM

116 posts, read 304,575 times
BTW, the White Castle at California and Reading was one of the higher sales volume Aluminum Rooms in the country.

At the end, White Castle tried their best to rid the immediate area of drug trafficking. When they couldn't stop the drug dealers, they closed and tore the restaurant down.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Bus Ride

Who can remember riding the 43 downtown bus w/Pickles on it? His family owned Zeff Jewlers in Swifton

Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 PM

205 posts, read 984,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1003 View Post
The Mohawks were the original professional hokey team in Cincy. They played at the Cincinnati Gardens.

Yep, Big Time Wrestling...Georgous George, The Shiek, midgets and ladies. And in those days, it was real

That first Arby's had a chunk of beef rotating on a spit and it was carved off served with horsey sauce. Today, Arby's is pressed "mystery meat." and comes hidden behind the scene.

What about the card game that was always going on upstairs-above Valley Pharmacy at Section and Reading?

Talking about Section and Reading. The NE corner is a lot now. Building torn down for a CVS? or Walgreens?.. Must have too much lead and other pollutants in the soil from the gas station. No pharmacy-no building. Just an empty lot
Yep - the Gardens was originally designed as a Hockey venue and the Mohawks played there for 6 or 8 years in the 50's. I remember seeing them play a team from Troy, Ohio.

I do remember the roast beef on a spit from Arby's. Probably cost about 35 cents or so!

Can't quite picture the gas station on the corner. Do you remember what brand? And was that an Albers or a Kroger further down Section toward Gibson Cards (on the opposite side of the street)?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Saw an inquiry about Capri Pizza: It still exists (or a business carrying that name does) in Hartwell. It's in a converted house, painted in the Italian tricolor - but horizontally - on Woodsdale, just east of Vine St between Galbraith and Compton.

Bilker's, sad to say, closed for good within the past year after having "followed their clientele" to Blue Ash. But I believe the near-soundalike Pilder's survives on East Galbraith near Plainfield Rd.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 AM

Default Hardware Store

The hardware store in the Valley Center was called WORK EASY !

Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 AM

There was a UDF in the Thritway Plaza and on Losantaville. In the Roselawn store, the Jarnicki brothers, OJ and Luke, both worked there. Sherbet was 7cents, ice cream 10 cents. The manager in Roselawn was Doris.
Teachers at Roselawn School - Kindergarten Miss Zehler, 1st grade Miss Kelly, later Mrs. Keller. 2nd Grde - Mrs. Shoemaker, Miss Anish. 3rd grade- Mrs. Lamping, Mrs. Travis. 4th grade Mrs. Allen, 5th grade Sandy Jones the golfer, 6th grade - Miss Lillian Russell, Rex Hamersley also the gym teacher.
Later ... Lorna Kay Peale, Mrs. Blitzer, Miss Ritchie, Mrs. Jefferson,Gretchen Johnson (Combo 4th/5th)

Principals - Mr. Schroder, Hans Hafer, Svet Nankovitch

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Default Central Roselawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Can't quite picture the gas station on the corner. Do you remember what brand? And was that an Albers or a Kroger further down Section toward Gibson Cards (on the opposite side of the street)?
I believe that the station on the NE corner of Section and Reading was a
Citgo, but am not certain. Someone had given it as Sinclair, but I do not
believe this is correct - at least, not any time after 1960 or so. The building
was altered to make room for Chili Time, ca. 1970.

There was a food store on the south side of section, at the eastern end
of the row of four-flats, just west of the tracks. It had a parking lot either
in the rear or just to the east. I believe it was one of the chain supermarkets,
but cannot recall which one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati