Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:50 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntnb View Post
I'm a native Cincinnatian, but I lived in Toledo for a couple of years. The people up there commented often on my "southern drawl." Heh.
Yeah. People from New England also think Philadelphia has a country twang. It is just perception.

Cincinnati's accent is either a General American or a spinoff of New York and Philly. Not Southern.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:52 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
^^^This must be sarcasm because I don't know anyone in New England that thinks people in Philadelphia speak with a country twang. Cincinnati has a mix of accents due to the fact quite a few people from outside this region have moved here in the last decade or two. Myself included.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfd2rph View Post
I guess it depends on your view of the world. I grew up in Wisconsin, lived in Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Indianapolis-area, and also Cincinnati. Cincinnati is as different to me as anywhere in Alabama, so for this Yankee, it's a Southern city. The folks are so much more friendly in Cincinnati - you get a very real sense of Southern hospitality. And for the real South, just hop on I-75 and drive South several hours until the road kill starts to look different.
Please go. I grew up in Chicago and was born in Massachusetts and have also lived in the South. There are friendly people in all those cities. Your criteria is weird.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
^^^This must be sarcasm because I don't know anyone in New England that thinks people in Philadelphia speak with a country twang. Cincinnati has a mix of accents due to the fact quite a few people from outside this region have moved here in the last decade or two. Myself included.
It isn't sarcasm. To a New England ear the Philly accent (which sounds a lot like a Cincinnati West Side accent) sounds country. I am originally from New England and though they don't think Philly is the South they still sound "funny". The same applies to New York but for different reasons.

And to your other comment about Cincy having a variety of accents well that's called being a city. All cities have varieties of accents. It's what happens when people move. Did you think only Cincy has this feature? The actual NATIVE accent of Cincinnati is not Southern whatsoever.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It isn't sarcasm. To a New England ear the Philly accent (which sounds a lot like a Cincinnati West Side accent) sounds country. I am originally from New England and though they don't think Philly is the South they still sound "funny". The same applies to New York but for different reasons.

And to your other comment about Cincy having a variety of accents well that's called being a city. All cities have varieties of accents. It's what happens when people move. Did you think only Cincy has this feature? The actual NATIVE accent of Cincinnati is not Southern whatsoever.
What part of New England? Where I grew up and spent half my life in the Hartford area, nobody and I mean nobody thought of people from Philly speaking with a country twang.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Cincinnati was historically considered to be a boarder state.

During, and before, the Civil War Cincy was a major stop on the underground railroad. Ohio was definitely Union and KY was Confederate.
Cincinnati has historically been considered a city and not a state

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What part of New England? Where I grew up and spent half my life in the Hartford area, nobody and I mean nobody thought of people from Philly speaking with a country twang.
Boston. Well around Boston. Anyway who cares? The discussion is literally about certain people's perception of accents. Not all will share the views just like not all Clevelanders think Cincinnati's accent is Southern.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Well, it is right near Kentucky, and I think of Kentucky as more southern.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Boston. Well around Boston. Anyway who cares? The discussion is literally about certain people's perception of accents. Not all will share the views just like not all Clevelanders think Cincinnati's accent is Southern.
Just curious. I don't think the accent of the majority in Cincinnati is southern. Midwestern really.

Not sure why you are digging up a thread that is many years old though.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefosho View Post
I'm going to venture my opinion here...

I think Cincinnati is Southern or not depending on where you are coming from. If you are coming to Chicago/Milwaukee maybe even NYC or Boston then Cincinnati is definitely culturally southern in comparison.

As others were saying, there is a heavy Appalachia vibe in Cincinnati--this is different from places such as Texas from what I understand--very isolated clannish culture.

Also from my experience the European and Catholic influences make it not in tune with the true south--where Catholics are not as prevalent.

The German heritage is also strong locally and noticeable from some places with Southern European influences (Italians, Greeks, etc such as Chicago) To me, coming from Chicago, the German thing was overwhelming in Cincinnati and I would notice major cultural differences between Chicago Catholics and Cincinnati Catholics. (I think Germanic families tend to people a little more lax and less controlling with females, women are strong and independent) (Although the Irish families were quite similar to Chicago Irish)

I think its safe to say Cincinnati has its own unique culture different from the rest of Ohio and the Midwest in general. There are southern, appalachian, midwestern and east coast influences on the city-combined with years of its own unique character and isolation.

To me, its one of the most interesting cities in America and I'm trying to move back--mainly for the laid back atmosphere compared to Chicago.
My God man. Cincinnati is a typical Lower Midwest city akin to St. Louis or Indianapolis. It is NOT Southern. Even across the river the culture is more Ohio influenced than Kentucky influenced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati