Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Xavior is arounda bad area but I never hear things there like at UC. Do they keep stuff under wraps?

Unlike UC, Xavier provides adequate housing for most (but not all) of its students. All of the freshmen are guaranteed housing. Most upperclassmen can live on campus.

They have had a robbery in the parking area of the new dorms near creepyville which may not yet be on the police coverage route. But, anything else is rare.

Kids come to UC assuming that with 50,000 population the area surrounding the campus is controlled by students like it is most places with a huge off campus population. UC has done a very poor job in coordinating its housing and informing prospective students as to what is to be expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM

465 posts, read 658,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Xavior is arounda bad area but I never hear things there like at UC. Do they keep stuff under wraps?
Xavier has a much smaller student population, about 1/8th the size of UC so you'd expect 1/8th crime to begin with, but there's a compounding effect with large campuses just because there are so many more potential targets, perps will be drawn there more if both are close by each other. It's sort of how people tend to automatically assume larger stores such as Wal-Mart or Meijer will have more of what they're after and better deals than the smaller mom and pop stores. Xavier in this case is benefitting from UC's size.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:59 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times
XU has very few off campus bars and restraraunts within walking distance of student housing. The students aren't going to be out walking in the bad parts of Avondale & Evanston unlike Clifton.

As I recall, if you didn't go to Dana Gardens or a house party - you had to get a ride.

This may change as more is constructed around the campus.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:40 AM

The news gets sneaky.

With no mention of UC, one would never know that this occurred outside the newest off campus student housing complex, the Campus Park Apartments:

MT. AUBURN, OH (FOX19) - A man was injured in a cutting and street attempted robbery in Mt. Auburn early Tuesday, according to Cincinnati police.The victim was taken to University of Cincinnati Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
Police say he was walking on the sidewalk when another man tried to rob him about 4 a.m. near the corner of McMillan Street and Highland Avenue.
The victim refused to give the suspect anything and was cut in the face and shoulder.
The suspect remains at large.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 PM

CPD investigating separate shooting, robbery incidents near UC campus

CINCINNATI —Cincinnati police are investigating two separate incidents that happened Monday.Police said the first incident was a shooting that occurred at about 7 p.m. in the 2900 block of Vine Street.
Officers said the victim was shot in the ankle in front of Staggerlee’s. The victim said he did not realize he was shot until a Staggerlee’s employee pointed out he was bleeding.
The victim was not able to give any details on the shooter, according to police.
The second incident was a robbery that occurred in the 2300 block of Ohio Avenue sometime between 8:15 p.m. and 8:45 p.m.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/cpd-investi...?absolute=true

Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Was a student hurt? Was these on campus?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:57 AM

87 posts, read 166,567 times
That's crazy. Staggerlee is right across to street from the rather swanky Views on Vine property (where I lived last year) and only one block away from UC campus.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
That's crazy. Staggerlee is right across to street from the rather swanky Views on Vine property (where I lived last year) and only one block away from UC campus.

Were you a UC student? If so, did the University offer any insight for students as to where they might find safe housing?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM

87 posts, read 166,567 times
Yes I was a master's student. I was pretty much on my own as to finding housing, much less safe housing.
Perhaps the situation would be different for undergraduate.
That said, I didn't feel particularly unsafe during the year but feelings can be deceptive.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoenberg3 View Post
Yes I was a master's student. I was pretty much on my own as to finding housing, much less safe housing.
Perhaps the situation would be different for undergraduate.
That said, I didn't feel particularly unsafe during the year but feelings can be deceptive.

I think that is a common thread. Everyone seems to feel safe until something happens to them. And, with the introduction of weapons, even those of us who were rarely picked on are likely targets for street robbery or home invasion. Its not just the women or the drunk undergrads.

Most University communities have adequate policing on the areas immediately around campus. UC does not. They have a large staff of police who are well paid to mostly harass students over parking issues. Someone needs to tell Santa Ono that he would not have a job if it was not for the undergraduate students who support the University. With enrollment up, these arrogant administrators think their job is done when they get a student admitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati