Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 03:23 PM

410 posts, read 586,978 times

Advertisements

Wilson, I'm prettty sure you are the only person I know who calls Santa Ono "arrogant". I know Santa and his family personally. Your description is absolutely wrong. His warm and caring personality are not an act. The public image is the real man.

Is crime a problem around U.C.? Absolutely. Is the administration taking the problem seriously? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:22 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi in cinci View Post
Wilson, I'm prettty sure you are the only person I know who calls Santa Ono "arrogant". I know Santa and his family personally. Your description is absolutely wrong. His warm and caring personality are not an act. The public image is the real man.

Is crime a problem around U.C.? Absolutely. Is the administration taking the problem seriously? Absolutely.

I am glad Mr. Ono is a nice chap. Now, all he needs to do is allocate about 40-60 additional shifts of single officer patrol cars per week to patrol the student housing area and this problem would move somewhere else. Its only a money problem. The thugs don't live there. But, they are drawn to an unprotected, target rich environment. Every UC student has money and an I-Phone. What else does he need to know.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:42 PM

Do I get credit?

WCPO reported today that 9 new officers were just hired by UC to police the student life areas around the campus.

You're welcome, UC students.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,543,045 times
I was just in Denver and everyone there was freaking out over five armed robberies of students at the University of Denver in one week. Should their president also resign? If this is your litmus test, Wilson, I think there would be a lot of unemployed college presidents in this country.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Do I get credit?

WCPO reported today that 9 new officers were just hired by UC to police the student life areas around the campus.

You're welcome, UC students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I was just in Denver and everyone there was freaking out over five armed robberies of students at the University of Denver in one week. Should their president also resign? If this is your litmus test, Wilson, I think there would be a lot of unemployed college presidents in this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I'm not remotely convinced that this is a UC policing problem. It's called campus "security" for a reason. I don't expect university police to be as highly trained and professional as CPD, State Police, or most other municipal police forces. Campus cops, or "seekies" as we derisively called them at Miami, are there to provide a basic security presence for the well being of the student body on campus. To expect them to exercise the same kind of police presence and deploy the same resources as might be expected from CPD in halting crime in surrounding neighborhoods is ludicrous. What do you want next, Wilson? UC to equip a SWAT team??? I expect the campus police to protect kids on campus. CPD is primarily responsible for the rest.

Santa Ono responded. I'd say it was the right thing to do. I made the demand. He listened. Nothing happened before this. Here is the UC police chief:

"We have a great working relationship with the city," Goodrich said. "We have a cooperative agreement that allows us to patrol some of the off-campus areas where our students are.
"And that's what we really want to do. Students see this as a community. They don't understand 'on-campus versus off-campus.'"

University of Cincinnati swears in nine new police officers - Story

Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Benjamin Morrow: UC student used app to send nude image of genitals to 13-year-old girl, police say - Story

Old 11-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Santa Ono responded. I'd say it was the right thing to do. I made the demand. He listened. Nothing happened before this. Here is the UC police chief:

"We have a great working relationship with the city," Goodrich said. "We have a cooperative agreement that allows us to patrol some of the off-campus areas where our students are.
"And that's what we really want to do. Students see this as a community. They don't understand 'on-campus versus off-campus.
University of Cincinnati swears in nine new police officers - Story

". . . But Robin Engle, UC professor and director of the UC Institute of Crime Science, says most students do not feel safe in the area.“Only 5 percent of students believe off-campus is safe at night,” Engle said. UCPD recently hired nine police officers and four security officers. Corcoran is hoping for a total of 24 new police officers." News Record.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:38 PM

For those of you following this thread, guess what?

Santa Ono has identified 47 streets around UC to focus on with the addition of lighting and security cameras in addition to the patrols described above. Story at 6pm on WKRC.

UC students need not thank me. Santa Ono's actions are thanks enough.

For those of you who said it wasn't any of UC's business to make off campus housing safer, UC agrees with me, not you. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Problem still not solved. Three separate robberies of cell phones and credit cards on Ohio Ave. today. New on WCPO.

Anyone who thinks this is not a serious problem is a fool.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Robberies always went on for decades. Only now with the internet that people think it's the worst its ever been. Crime is worse in other areas of town but they are not focus of the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati