Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 09:27 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Crime in the UC area is down. It's been steadily declining for a few years. Those of us who've lived in the neighborhood for more than a few semesters know this. The media hype stating otherwise is incredibly obnoxious, irresponsible and reckless.

Here, go nuts: Crime Statistics, University of Cincinnati
But don't you understand what irresistibly delicious click-bait a headline shrieking fear and hysteria is? We've got somebody here who laps it up like a starving kitten and keeps reviving this thread over and over again. The media LOVE that kind of person and start drooling whenever a new crime story is released. Talk about feeding trolls!

What also escapes the spotlight's glare (but is acknowledged if you know where to look) is that a lot of these incidents have no witnesses and therefore reports can't be substantiated. Translated for the paranoid wing nuts among us: The stories are MADE UP. "Dude, you think that's bad? Five of them jumped me on Glendora at 4 AM the other day and almost took my skateboard! I got beat all over the face but everything healed super fast." Uh...yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Armed robbery combined with a gunpoint rape of the victim's girlfriend is not a case of getting punched and losing one's skateboard. Despite the comment above to the contrary.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 PM

76 posts, read 121,464 times
We all know what the "real problem" is in Cinci with relation to all of these crimes.
But no one wants to mention the truth because it would be politically incorrect or "racist" to do so.

When I was a student at UC I didn't go out at night very often because of the high crime rates.
The nights I did go out, there were always groups of young thuggish looking men who would always walk together around the Calhoun street area, and other areas usually south of campus. You could always tell these men were looking for people to prey on. If you're a female UC student and you go out at night by yourself, then you're basically just asking to get raped by a bunch of thugs.

I remember the one news story from last year about the student who almost got raped in broad daylight. Friggin ridiculous!
It's not just night time either, I've seen the groups of thugs, or gangs, out in the day light hours too.

The UC and Cinci police need to apply pressure to these thug groups, stop and frisk upon sight, etc. I could careless about racial profiling concerns. Student safety is a greater priority than potentially offending some idiot who dresses like a thug.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
^Then why didn't you call the damn police or confront them then?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:58 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I attended (survived) UC in the mid 80s it was a known fact to avoid renting or even being in the area south of McMillan (Flora, Wheeler, Chickasaw, Rohs, Victor, Clifton, Bosley, Detzel, Henshaw, Lyon, Moerlein, Ohio, etc.)

I lived Daniels Hall as a freshman, the TKE house on Stratford, on Glendora north of the EPA, the only white people on the street and got along great with all the neighbors, on Euclid & Charlton and on Ohio Ave.

All the places I lived were rental houses, I made it a point to make things look nice, when you live in a ghetto a$$ dump area and you are outside trimming bushes, edging the sidewalk, killing weeds, sweeping garbage and maintaining the lawn the respectable people on the street will come out and tell you how much they appreciate it, people driving by will give you a thumbs up.

The one thing I did learn at UC is that Cincinnati is a craphole, once I got married and had a kid on the way I hightailed it back to Lebanon because I did not want my kid to grow up in an area with used hypos in the street and thugs on every corner, this was in 1988. When my daughter went to college it was at Wright State, anyone that went to UC knows to send their own kids somewhere else.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post

I think I can explain that to you. First, only a moron would confront a gang of thugs. They hope you would do that. They look forward to it. It authorizes them to not only kick your ass, but maybe kill you. If you have never been around people who do not value their own lives you would soon find out that there is nothing between them and you being face down in the dirt. Not jail, not the chance you may harm them, not concern for your family. Really nothing. Trust me on this. They shoot each other over minor disputes on a daily basis under circumstances where they are certain to be caught. They don't care.

As for the police, well, if you live on the moon, you may not be aware that CPD response time for "suspicious persons" is more like day of the week than a number of minutes.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
LMMFAO! Maybe not every one can "confront them" one night in 1983 I had 3 guys jump me at the corner of Stratford and Joselin, I flipped the first guy and landed a solid right hook on the second one the third ran off, the guy I flipped got on all fours so I kicked him in the face, I proceeded to get on top of the second one and used my fist to break his nose and jaw. Here is wisdom, if you want to jump someone make sure he is not a hockey goon.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
LMMFAO! Maybe not every one can "confront them" one night in 1983 I had 3 guys jump me at the corner of Stratford and Joselin, I flipped the first guy and landed a solid right hook on the second one the third ran off, the guy I flipped got on all fours so I kicked him in the face, I proceeded to get on top of the second one and used my fist to break his nose and jaw. Here is wisdom, if you want to jump someone make sure he is not a hockey goon.

Oh, I'm nostalgic for 1983 too. We'd all like to go back to a time when any of that mattered.

Today, you'd be dead on the ground, your wallet and cell phone gone and we'd have missed this post. Charming thought, but about 30 years too late. The thugs are only feral animals, not stupid animals. You'd be the first person to shoot. They are all armed.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 PM

76 posts, read 121,464 times
Quote:
I called police on a few occasions.
One time to report drug activity in nearby Clifton. The other times to report the gangs of thugs that were always wandering around. I stopped calling when a 911 operator told me not to call them unless there was an actual crime or emergency to report.

Police departments usually don't do crime prevention.
It's only after someone has been robbed or shot that the police show up.

UC needs to reverse its policy toward firearms and should allow students to conceal carry.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Cincinnati is safe compared to Columbus, OH. The area around UC didn't seem that bad to me granted I went mostly during the day to the university for sporting events before. I used to live in Columbus, OH from what everyone I met from Cincinnati said Columbus is more dangerous than Cincinnati but I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati