Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:14 PM

137 posts, read 448,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Please don't attack me for expressing my opinion. That is what this site is meant for, I just expressed it.
You have to understand something. All you stated in this forum are your opinions, not facts, merely your opinions. You present your opinions as facts, not opinons. Yes, you are intitled to your own opinion. However, if you are going to state facts on here, back them up! With all due respect, I believe you are wrong about the NKY area. I actually live here and I can tell you there is a lot going on outside 1-275 on the Kentucky side of the river and beyond Newport/Covington. I live outside those areas and am proud to live on the KY side as there is a lot going on. Our area's are indeed growing greatly and we have seen a lot of development over the years. Please don't lead someone away from our great area because of your lack of knowledge concerning it!

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 04-29-2008 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
You have to understand somethiing. All you stated in this forum is your opinion, not facts, merely your opinions. You present your opinions as facts, not opinons. Yes, you are intitled to your own opinions. However, if you are going to state facts on here, back them up! With all due respect, I believe you are wrong about the NKY. I actually live here and I can tell you there is a lot going on outside 1-275 on the Kentucky side of the river and beyond Newport and Covington. I live outside of those areas and am proud to live on the KY side as there is a lot going on and there are indeed areas growing greatly. We have seen our area's really develop over the years. Please don't lead someone away from our great area because of your lack of knowledge concerning it!
Please don't tell me it's FLORENCE! lol

Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM

137 posts, read 448,370 times
Default NKY is a great place to call home!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
Please don't tell me it's FLORENCE! lol
What's wrong with Florence? It's not as run down like most of Cincinnati and surrounding suburbs on the Ohio side and it's actually a safe city. Florence as well as surrounding cities are really developing and growing. In fact more Kentuckians are moving to either Louisville, Lexington or NKY, so that has to say something about the area! The funny thing is, a lot of Ohioians from Cincinnati are now moving here. If the Ohio side of Cincinnati is so great, why are people heading to NKY? Maybe because we have better schools, cleaner cities and downhome people. You can choose to live in the city, suburbia or opt for the best of rural life!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
What's wrong with Florence? It's not as run down like most of Cincinnati and surrounding suburbs on the Ohio side and it's actually a safe city. Florence as well as surrounding cities are really developing and growing. In fact more Kentuckians are moving to either Louisville, Lexington or NKY, so that has to say something about the area! The funny thing is, a lot of Ohioians from Cincinnati are now moving here. If the Ohio side of Cincinnati is so great, why are people heading to NKY? Maybe because we have better schools, cleaner cities and downhome people. You can choose to live in the city, suburbia or opt for the best of rural life!
Oh man ... I had a feeling it was Florence and it probably is, isn't it?

I am in Florence enough to be very familiar with it. There are a number of answers to your question above.

If it is, I'm not going to insult your choice as a human to call a place home for you and your family.

I will though respectfully answer your question in a PM if you're interested. Just let me know.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxysinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87
I know I may not live in Cincinnati, but I do know the area very well. I actually tried to get into UOC, but the courses there were different from what I expected, plus Kent was closer. I have plenty of friends in the Cincy Metro too.

I know Covington and Newport offer nothing behind the riverfront, that is a given right there, all you need to do is see for yourself. Beyond that I found eastern Kentucky to be highly unemployed, and lots of poverty. I know Covington and Newport are part of the Cincy metro, but it is NOT OHIO. I even noticed people in Kentucky wanted their own forum to start for NKY.

Ohio and Kentucky have completely different values and views. The instant you cross the border you might not see it, but 30 minutes down the freeway I saw huge differences.
You are ridiculous. People are people no matter where you are! What makes YOU think Ohio is so much better than Kentucky? I can't believe you're so opinionated when YOU DON'T EVEN LIVE IN CINCINNATI!!!!!!!
To an extent, I agree with Traveler. There is a palpable difference between the Ohio and Kentucky sides, although not as stark as he describes. Things move a little slower on the Kentucky side, I find people to be more laid back here, and the area unquestionable carries a bit of a southern atmosphere. Although you’ll find transplants from both states on either side of the river, most natives and long-time residents of this region have an us-them mentality about their neighbors on the opposite side of the river. Not in a hostile way; more like “I’m proud to be a buckeye/bluegrass person and love my side of the river.” I’m also originally from northern Ohio (Medina) but moved to KY nearly three decades ago and have no desire to be anywhere else.

The problem I and a lot of other Northern Kentuckians have is that our region is overshadowed by Cincinnati to the point that it’s a struggle to proclaim its unique identity. Many in our own state (including politicians) treat NKY as if it’s part of Ohio, which personally ticks me off because it’s such a fallacy. Incidentally, I’m the guy who created the thread about starting a Northern Kentucky subforum as part of the Kentucky forum. The fact that there still isn’t one demonstrates my point.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
To an extent, I agree with Traveler. There is a palpable difference between the Ohio and Kentucky sides, although not as stark as he describes. Things move a little slower on the Kentucky side, I find people to be more laid back here, and the area unquestionable carries a bit of a southern atmosphere. Although you’ll find transplants from both states on either side of the river, most natives and long-time residents of this region have an us-them mentality about their neighbors on the opposite side of the river. Not in a hostile way; more like “I’m proud to be a buckeye/bluegrass person and love my side of the river.” I’m also originally from northern Ohio (Medina) but moved to KY nearly three decades ago and have no desire to be anywhere else.

The problem I and a lot of other Northern Kentuckians have is that our region is overshadowed by Cincinnati to the point that it’s a struggle to proclaim its unique identity. Many in our own state (including politicians) treat NKY as if it’s part of Ohio, which personally ticks me off because it’s such a fallacy. Incidentally, I’m the guy who created the thread about starting a Northern Kentucky subforum as part of the Kentucky forum. The fact that there still isn’t one demonstrates my point.
RuralGuy, GREAT POST!

Very honest and realistic!

I've also lived on both sides as well, and I see a major difference. While I was living in Newport, I was at the Best Buy in northern Cincy and the cashier asked for my address, when I gave it to her, she said "Newport? ...." ... waiting for me to respond with the State. I said KY, as if she was an idiot, but that's the truth of the matter and she more than likely didn't have some secret motive by not knowing the answer to her question.

After that, she then asked, "Newport? ... One word or two?"

One thing that I found strange ...

- Ohioans don't consider Newport and Cov. to be part of Cincy or OH. Kentuckians do.

- Florencians (?) despise Newport and Cov. as "lower-class" areas that are crime-ridden and should be torn down.

- Most Ohioans favor Newport or Cov. over the rest of NKY.

- Newport and Cov. residents think that Florence is too suburban for them.

... What do you guys think? Am I pretty right on with this? I think so and I find it very strange and humorous.

Quote:
Although you’ll find transplants from both states on either side of the river
Very true. I think it's silly to try to come up with a scientific and concrete answer on who's moving to which side of the river based on assumptions and perceptions.

RuralGuy, in your opinion, what do you think NKY can do to diversify it's racial make-up? I see this as a huge problem, but have no idea on how to "fix it".

On almost all of NKY's demographics, you'll see 95%+ white people. Strange.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,504 times
Quote:
- Ohioans don't consider Newport and Cov. to be part of Cincy or OH. Kentuckians do.
I agree.

Quote:
- Florencians (?) despise Newport and Cov. as "lower-class" areas that are crime-ridden and should be torn down.
I don't think people from Florence despise these riverfront cities. It's just that both of them have some rough neighborhoods with public housing, drug dealing, and urban decay that surbanites generally don't face. I think that among those who have the means to move easily (as opposed to those with limited income who have no choice but to live in the less expensive housing the river cities offer), there are two types of people: The first type prefers suburban living with easy access to big-box retailers, the second prefers grand old homes with history and unique architecture that can only be found in older neighborhoods closer to the river. I've lived in Florence, Covington, and Newport, so I've experienced both. But in the end, I decided I wanted neither and moved way the heck out into the country!

Quote:

I'm not sure about that. I know plenty of folks from Ohio who've moved to Kentucky because they could get more house for the money in the suburbs here and not have to live as far away from downtown Cincinnati as they would in the suburbs north or east of the city. But I would agree that Ohians who prefer the urban lifestyle won't look much beyond Newport or Covington.

Quote:
RuralGuy, in your opinion, what do you think NKY can do to diversify it's racial make-up? I see this as a huge problem, but have no idea on how to "fix it".

On almost all of NKY's demographics, you'll see 95%+ white people. Strange.
This was the first thing I noticed when I moved here. I went to Boone County High School, which at the time had about 1400 students of which only about five were African American. Covington is the only city in our region that has a relatively sizeable population of African Americans.

I think there are two primary reasons why African Americans don't settle here. First is income disparity. They simply can't afford most of the housing that Northen Kentucky offers, particularly in the suburbs. Second is the stigma of Kentucky being part of "the south." If NKY had a more major urban presence (such as Louisville does), I think it would be different. But here Cincinnati proper is the urban center, and that's where you'll find the highest concentration of African Americans.

Speaking of race, I'd like to know why Florence, in particular, has been such a popular place for hispanics to settle? From 2000-2006, the US Census says Boone County's hispanic population went from 1702 to 3028. That's nearly a 78% jump over seven years. It has also led to a jump in the number of good Mexican restaurants, so I ain't complaining.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:

... What do you guys think? Am I pretty right on with this? I think so and I find it very strange and humorous.
I don't think these perceptions are unique at all, it is the standard suburban vs urban views you find in basically every city in the US. I'm sure the northern and eastern suburbs from 275 and beyond look at the urban neighborhoods in Cincinnati in the exact same light and vice versa. In fact, I've read many posts on this board that demonstrate the same dynamic on the OH side of the river.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
Speaking of race, I'd like to know why Florence, in particular, has been such a popular place for hispanics to settle? From 2000-2006, the US Census says Boone County's hispanic population went from 1702 to 3028. That's nearly a 78% jump over seven years. It has also led to a jump in the number of good Mexican restaurants, so I ain't complaining.
My guess:
1) Abundance of construction jobs in a fast growing area
2) More apartments than other neighboring communities

Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I don't think these perceptions are unique at all, it is the standard suburban vs urban views you find in basically every city in the US. I'm sure the northern and eastern suburbs from 275 and beyond look at the urban neighborhoods in Cincinnati in the exact same light and vice versa. In fact, I've read many posts on this board that demonstrate the same dynamic on the OH side of the river.
I'd agree with that, but the fact is ... a lot of suburbanites' perception of crime/city is driven by race, do you disagree? The same with any major city.

The funny thing about NKY, is that the entire region is made up of almost all whites?

When I'm in Florence, I'm quick to defend Covington's side. I hate hearing people that live in Florence complain about it, because I think it's the jewel of NKY, IMO.

Maybe this can help our discussion ...

Here's the breakdown: Whites:

Alexandria - 99%
Ft. Thomas - 98%
Bellevue - 98%
Villa Hills - 98%
Dayton - 98%
Florence - 94%
Newport - 92%
Covington - 87%

RuralGuy, thanks for your honest & educated responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati