U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2010, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,614 posts, read 4,154,272 times
Reputation: 2481

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Birmingham in the same league as Jackson, Columbia, and Little Rock??? LMAO!!. You must be kidding. I knew Birmingham was behind Charlotte in many aspects when I created this thread, but I dont think the gap is as wide as many on here think. A major difference is leadership and people's attitudes in both cities. Charlotte is more pro growth, while Birmingham is trying to remain stagnant for some insane reason.

Don't take it personal dude. Birmingham is ahead of all those cities I never said it wasn't. I have been to all of these cities on many occasions and while it's true that Birmingham is larger than the other three that doesn't mean that Birmingham is any different. I know Birmingham has more than the other cities but Birmingham feels much more like Little Rock and Columbia. Charlotte feels more like Nashville Columbus OH, and Indiannapolis.

Personally, from my experience I just think that Birmingham feels more old south personally and Charlotte feels more new south.

As stated earlier: Cities that can compare to Birmingham based on criteria other than the ones I mentioned were Richmond, Jacksonville and Louisville but Charlotte definitely isn't comparable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,672 posts, read 2,717,219 times
Reputation: 1246
Sorry CDW if I came off like some a-hole. I get what your saying about how bham feels more like Columbia and Little Rock, and if I had to guess it has the same slower pace of things as both of those cities even though Bham is obviously a larger metro.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 AM
 
4,694 posts, read 5,562,205 times
Reputation: 4193
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Don't take it personal dude. Birmingham is ahead of all those cities I never said it wasn't. I have been to all of these cities on many occasions and while it's true that Birmingham is larger than the other three that doesn't mean that Birmingham is any different. I know Birmingham has more than the other cities but Birmingham feels much more like Little Rock and Columbia. Charlotte feels more like Nashville Columbus OH, and Indiannapolis.

Personally, from my experience I just think that Birmingham feels more old south personally and Charlotte feels more new south.

As stated earlier: Cities that can compare to Birmingham based on criteria other than the ones I mentioned were Richmond, Jacksonville and Louisville but Charlotte definitely isn't comparable.
So are you saying Richmond, Jacksonville and Louisville feel like Little Rock and Columbia?

Richmond, Jacksonville, Louisville, Nashville Columbus OH, Indiannapolis, OKC, Jacksonville, Austin, Memphis, Raleigh and yes Charlotte are all the same tire it's just some are ahead of others. I mention Charlotte is a leader in it's tire in another thread but it's tire is Birmingham and etc, thus they are very compable. Obliviously I give the edge to Charlotte it's a leader and the city probably will move up a tire some day. But don't lower Birmingham, it's slower yes but it don't feel like Little Rock and Columbia. You said you been to all these cities, well try stoping in Birmingham a few hours after stoping in Jackson.

http://www.connectpoint.org/images/skyline.jpg (broken link)
http://www.connectpoint.org/images/skyline.jpg (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 10,053,034 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
But don't lower Birmingham, it's slower yes but it don't feel like Little Rock and Columbia. You said you been to all these cities, well try stoping in Birmingham a few hours after stoping in Jackson.
I have to disagree. Birmingham doesn't feel any faster than Jackson or Little Rock in my honest opinion. It's just bigger and because it's bigger it has a few more amenities. People get offended when I ask this, but is there really that much that can be done in Birmingham that I can't do in Jackson or Little Rock?
People like to use the population argument, but Little Rock and Jackson are roughly 300,000 people away from Birmingham. Birmingham is roughly 500,000 people away from Austin and Charlotte. I just can't see Memphis and Birmingham on the same tier as Austin and Charlotte. I'd even throw in Memphis and say that it really isn't any faster than the smaller cities. It feels like a larger version of them with an entertainment district, that really isn't entertaining IMO.

Don't get me wrong; Birmingham is underrated, but so are the other two.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 AM
 
4,694 posts, read 5,562,205 times
Reputation: 4193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I have to disagree. Birmingham doesn't feel any faster than Jackson or Little Rock in my honest opinion. It's just bigger and because it's bigger it has a few more amenities. People get offended when I ask this, but is there really that much that can be done in Birmingham that I can't do in Jackson or Little Rock?
People like to use the population argument, but Little Rock and Jackson are roughly 300,000 people away from Birmingham. Birmingham is roughly 500,000 people away from Austin and Charlotte. I just can't see Memphis and Birmingham on the same tier as Austin and Charlotte. I'd even throw in Memphis and say that it really isn't any faster than the smaller cities. It feels like a larger version of them with an entertainment district, that really isn't entertaining IMO.

Don't get me wrong; Birmingham is underrated, but so are the other two.
LMAO, OK lets start with the population argument your begging for.
Little rock MSA 685,488 CSA 862,520
Jackson MSA 540,866 CSA 568,847
Birmingham MSA 1,131,070 CSA 1,212,848
Birmingham is nearly like both of them put together.

Bigger feeling and feeling faster are two different thing. I never said Birmingham was faster than Jackson or Little Rock. Clearly none of these 3 cities are growing much. But yet again Birmingham infrastructure does make it feel faster than those two cities. One error with the bigger version thing is your ignoring that Birmingham dominates Little Rock, and Jackson in nearly everything no matter if it’s the same stuff or not just saying. Also Birmingham is pretty sizable in education and medical. And bigger just to be bigger? No Bimingham was once a industral boomtown. in some sense it's like a southern rustbelt city.

But I find it funny that you even began to put down Memphis and Birmingham as if Austin and Charlotte are just so up their. I put it this way Memphis, Birmingham, Charlotte and Austin are way closer to each other than they are up to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Miami. This is why I said they’re all in same tier Charlotte and Austin are leaders of this tier, not a tier up. Little Rock and Jackson are like Augusta, Chattanooga tire.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,672 posts, read 2,717,219 times
Reputation: 1246
Again comparing Birmingham to Jackson or Little Rock is laughable, maybe outright insane. Jackson and Little Rock are in the same league as Montgomery, Columbus, Shreveport, Augusta. The reality is that Birmingham is a step above or more than these cities. Jackson to me feels like a small town, that happens to be the state capital.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 10,053,034 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
LMAO, OK lets start with the population argument your begging for.
Little rock MSA 685,488 CSA 862,520
Jackson MSA 540,866 CSA 568,847
Birmingham MSA 1,131,070 CSA 1,212,848
Birmingham is nearly like both of them put together.
As of 2009 it's like this.

Little Rock: 685,488 MSA, 862,520 CSA
Jackson: 540,866 MSA, 568,847 CSA
---------------------------------------
Birmingham: 1,131,070 MSA, 1,212,848 CSA,
---------------------------------------
Charlotte: 1,745,524 MSA, 2,389,763 CSA
Austin: 1,705,075 MSA, 1,750,224 CSA

I like how y'all love to throw numbers around, but never realize how they are related to each other. If you averaged to two smaller MSAs (being lenient here), Birmingham and Jackson/Little Rock is 517,893 people apart from Birmingham. Charlotte/Austin is 594,229 people apart from Birmingham.

If anyone is going to use the argument that Jackson and Little Rock can't be on the same tier as Birmingham because of population, they have to do the same with Birmingham, Charlotte, and Austin (and that's keeping the numbers in the middle).

Table of United States Micropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Bigger feeling and feeling faster are two different thing. I never said Birmingham was faster than Jackson or Little Rock. Clearly none of these 3 cities are growing much. But yet again Birmingham infrastructure does make it feel faster than those two cities. One error with the bigger version thing is your ignoring that Birmingham dominates Little Rock, and Jackson in nearly everything no matter if it’s the same stuff or not just saying. Also Birmingham is pretty sizable in education and medical. And bigger just to be bigger? No Bimingham was once a industral boomtown. in some sense it's like a southern rustbelt city.
If you say you didn't, I guess you didn't say it. I just replied to an imaginary comment

IMO, Birmingham's infrastructure makes it feel more spread out than it does faster. Once you leave the gridded part of the city everything just winds out of control. The terrain doesn't allow for efficient infrastructure, at least not in a feasible way.

How am I ignoring that Birmingham dominates? I clearly asked "is there really that much that can be done in Birmingham that I can't do in Jackson or Little Rock?" I'm just asking what does it dominate in? I already acknowledged that because it is bigger it will have a few extra amenities.
If you look at it statistically, via AmericanFactFinder, they actually are very close in numbers with a slight edge to Birmingham.

Quote:
But I find it funny that you even began to put down Memphis and Birmingham as if Austin and Charlotte are just so up their. I put it this way Memphis, Birmingham, Charlotte and Austin are way closer to each other than they are up to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Miami. This is why I said they’re all in same tier Charlotte and Austin are leaders of this tier, not a tier up. Little Rock and Jackson are like Augusta, Chattanooga tire.
Now I'm putting places down because my opinion doesn't live up to yours?. I'm just stating how it seems to me. Are Charlotte and Austin really closer to Birmingham and Memphis than they would be to Atlanta?

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-15-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
 
12,721 posts, read 20,720,788 times
Reputation: 3746
WestbankNOLA, you don't like Birmingham for some reason.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 10,053,034 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
WestbankNOLA, you don't like Birmingham for some reason.

You know, it would have been nice if you could have just refuted what I said... #justsayin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
 
12,721 posts, read 20,720,788 times
Reputation: 3746
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Jobs-Charlotte
Housing-Birmingham (a lot of variety)
Arts & Culture-IDK, but I would give it to Birmingham because of the Civil Rights Institute and the southern culture.
Sports-Charlotte, of course. Alabama, although in Tuscaloosa, is the only "professional team" Birmingham has.
Nightlife-Charlotte, although Birmingham's no slacker.
Diversity-Tie. Both are basically black and white with a little Mexican and Asian thrown in.
Education (K-12, and higher ed)-Birmingham.
Transportation infrastructure-Tie
Retail-That's a tough one!
Cost of Living-Birmingham
Taxes-Alabama has a high sale tax rate! So, Charlotte.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top