Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Georgia - Upper Midwest vs. Deep South
Minnesota 122 48.03%
Georgia 102 40.16%
Neither 30 11.81%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:30 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

I was hoping this thread would take a civil turn.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
It's not like GA is full of large cities. Two of GA's largest cities are consolidated with their respective counties.

2009 estimates
MN
Rochester - 103,486

GA
Augusta - Richmond County 194,343
Columbus 190,414
Savannah 134,699
Athens - Clarke County 114,983
Augusta and Columbus didnt need their consolidations to break the 100,000 barrier, they would still be over. Athens is the only one that would be under 100,000 without the consolidation, it would then fall behind Macon and near Albany GA in size.

The fact still remains.

Metro ATL dwarfs the Twin Cities Metro
Other MSAs and CSAs of GA dwarf the MSAs and CSAs of Minn.

Georgia provides a better line up of urban areas. GA has a higher total number of MSAs and CSAs and they are larger in population than the ones in Minn for the most part.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 09-09-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 05:50 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
ATL metro trumps anything in Minn.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Here are some good Minneapolis ones.

I'll post more later when I have time.
The second video reminds me a lot of the eastside of Atlanta...except that the roads are straight (and flat) and there isn't a traffic light every two blocks

Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
ATL metro trumps anything in Minn.
Perhaps ATL trumps everything in PA, which isn't saying much, but Minn - nope.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
The fact still remains.

Metro ATL dwarfs the Twin Cities Metro
Other MSAs and CSAs of GA dwarf the MSAs and CSAs of Minn.

Georgia provides a better line up of urban areas. GA has a higher total number of MSAs and CSAs and they are larger in population than the ones in Minn for the most part.
And the fact that metro ATL "dwarfs" the Twin Cities means what? The Twin Cities area offers everything metro Atlanta does. Also, is it any surprise that a state with nearly 10 million people has more urban areas than a state with just over 5 million? C'mon people.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
And the fact that metro ATL "dwarfs" the Twin Cities means what? The Twin Cities area offers everything metro Atlanta does. Also, is it any surprise that a state with nearly 10 million people has more urban areas than a state with just over 5 million? C'mon people.
In this instance, one must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Boy. I must have been sleeping. I didn't realize the Twin Cities had built the worlds largest aquarium and international News and Entertainment television networks. And added an Engineering School that's only outranked by M.I.T, Stanford and Berkley in the United States. The largest Engineering School in the United States. And they added one of (if not the) the largest most successful collection of historically black colleges in the World. Or the worlds tallest hotel? Or that their Airport had become the world's busiest with the most flights all over the world. Since when did the Twin Cities get a Centers for Disease Control or a University that's ranked in the top 20 for all public schools in America (right behind Notre Dame). When did they get a music industry that a few years ago had the majority of the artist on Billboards top 10 one week belonging to it. I guess they traded in their light rail system for a faster higher capacity heavy rail system with more stations and miles of track. So the Twin Cities now have Movie and Television production studios, a park with the worlds largest exposed granite monument? Is a regular host to several Nationaly televised music award shows? The Twin Cities now has parks and monuments left over from their Summer Olympics? When did they have these Olympics?

I'm confused. They must have gotten all this stuff because BlackOut just said the Twin Cities has everything that Metro Atlanta has.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:47 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Boy. I must have been sleeping. I didn't realize the Twin Cities had built the worlds largest aquarium and international News and Entertainment television networks. And added an Engineering School that's only outranked by M.I.T, Stanford and Berkley in the United States. The largest Engineering School in the United States. And they added one of (if not the) the largest most successful collection of historically black colleges in the World. Or the worlds tallest hotel? Or that their Airport had become the world's busiest with the most flights all over the world. Since when did the Twin Cities get a Centers for Disease Control or a University that's ranked in the top 20 for all public schools in America (right behind Notre Dame). When did they get a music industry that a few years ago had the majority of the artist on Billboards top 10 one week belonging to it. I guess they traded in their light rail system for a faster higher capacity heavy rail system with more stations and miles of track. So the Twin Cities now have Movie and Television production studios, a park with the worlds largest exposed granite monument? Is a regular host to several Nationaly televised music award shows? The Twin Cities now has parks and monuments left over from their Summer Olympics? When did they have these Olympics?

I'm confused. They must have gotten all this stuff because BlackOut just said the Twin Cities has everything that Metro Atlanta has.
The Twin Cities have all the same things as Atlanta.

World class museums, a perfectly capable airport, large malls, excellent private and public universities (4th largest in enrollment, U of M). An arts/theater scene second only to NY/Chicago.

I will go out on a limb and say there is nothing in Atlanta you can't experience in the Cities.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:54 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I will go out on a limb and say there is nothing in Atlanta you can't experience in the Cities.
What about a drought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City