Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Mumbai has like 20 million people.....how COOL is that city?!!?!
I'm half Indian, I've spent good time in Mumbai (More than anywhere else overseas besides Delhi and Singapore) and half of my family traces its roots back there. It is a cool city, and I know it has its problems and has a lot of slums, but on CD I always see it being used for everything negative, as if the entire city is like that, especially from people whom I suspect never having gone there before. The other half of my ethnicity is Singaporean, yeah Mumbai isn't as nice as Singapore but its a lot more fun. The fact that its in a country that was formed 63 years ago, still relatively an infant compared to most world nations, and a place with large political identity crisis, the city hasn't had the chance to fix up yet, and is doing things like rebuilding the whole city similar to reconstruction Shanghai, to change its look.

So I'm going to have to ask you, have you ever been there before, or are you just going off pictures and stereotypes? Honest question really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm half Indian, I've spent good time in Mumbai (More than anywhere else overseas besides Delhi and Singapore) and half of my family traces its roots back there. It is a cool city, and I know it has its problems and has a lot of slums, but on CD I always see it being used for everything negative, as if the entire city is like that, especially from people whom I suspect ever having gone there before. The other half of my ethnicity is Singaporean, yeah Mumbai isn't as nice as Singapore but its a lot more fun.

So I'm going to have to ask you, have you ever been there before, or are you just going off pictures and stereotypes? Honest question really.
Sorry, bad coincidence for me. My point was that does population matter more than substance? In this case, Houston being bigger than Philly or Chicago? My opinion is that substance is more important, and I hate the "bigger = better" ideology.

I have nothing against Mumbai personally -- that was a shot in the dark.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It's interesting to look at the overall density of those urban areas.
yes that is interesting and I have asked Kidphilly to comment on it but he shys away from it here is the UA's by density:

1. Los Angeles 2500 (SUNBELT)
2. San Fran 2200 (SUNBELT)
3. Phoenix 1900 (SUNBELT who is always slammed)
4. Miami 1900 (SUNBELT)
4. New York 1800
5. Chicago 1500
6. DC 1500
7. Houston 1400 (SUNBELT)
7. Dallas 1400 (SUNBELT)
8. San Diego 1400 (SUNBELT)
9. Detroit 1200
10 Seattle 1200
11.Tampa 1200 (SUNBELT)
12. Baltimore 1200
13. Minn/St Paul 1100
14. Philly 1100
15 St Louis 1000
16. ATL 900 (Sunbelt)
17. Boston 900

look at those sunbelt cities go.

PHILLY doesn't really have a dense UA but Kidphilly loves mentioning UA and density but never together

Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Mumbai has like 20 million people.....how COOL is that city?!!?! Chicago and Philly are US staples, and will always be known as such.

its a lot cooler than Minneapolis I can tell you that. It is steeped in culture, it has awesome food and market places and makes for a hella more interesting visit than Minneapolis

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Sorry, bad coincidence for me. My point was that does population matter more than substance? In this case, Houston being bigger than Philly or Chicago? My opinion is that substance is more important, and I hate the "bigger = better" ideology.

I have nothing against Mumbai personally -- that was a shot in the dark.
I live in BOTH Houston & Chicago. Its true many are drawn by city life and city living. But I am not (I am 20, who would have thought a 20 year old saying that? I consider it an inferior way of living- just my opinion though, it isn't shared by everyone) I never like the idea of living the way I do in Chicago a 700 square foot loft, tiny as freakin hell. Invite friends over, OH WAIT how many of them? They all cant fit. Its nice once in a while, but all the time, no way.

I like being near the coast, and having the housing units of coastal cities, Mediterranean housing units in Houston such as the ones you see in Miami you will not find in Chicago with tall dazzling palm trees. I love my car, especially in the fact that my parents had to push me to get a high SAT score to deserve a very nice one. I love it, and I view my Houston lifestyle more complete and more to my liking than my Chicago one.

Everyone has their preferences, I can sit here and list all the pros and cons but that doesn't mean anything has changed and that anyones minds here have been altered. Frankly, something I don't care for here. But note, all these rankings, they mean a lot to the people on this site, but the real people who don't even know this site exists, it means absolutely nothing to them. And in those cities you'll find those down to Earth people who live their lives normally unlike how dysfunctional we are here.

In summary: your perception of a city is yours only, you'll find at least 30 people immediately on this site who WILL agree with you, and I will find at least 30 who will agree with me on which place to live is better. We can sit here and go through and add to our post count all day, but in the end, no one has convinced each other of anything at all. So you prefer Philadelphia & Chicago. I prefer coastal living areas that are warm and hot, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami.
Basically for an early start, we can agree to disagree right here, haha and save our post count from skyrocketing about whats better and whats not.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
its a lot cooler than Minneapolis I can tell you that. It is steeped in culture, it has awesome food and market places and makes for a hella more interesting visit than Minneapolis
Nobody cares...stay where you are.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Danny they glamourize the non car culture like that is the thing nowadays. The in thing since the 50's was car culture.

do you see teen movies of boys taking girls on a date via a train? heck no, the guy takes the girl out in his new car.

People who complain about the sunbelt cities being too car centric are living in the 1920s. get over it. that is how modern cities are built nowadays.
They will get more dense, no doubt about that, but people love their cars

Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares...stay where you are.
I gladly will, what makes you think I want to move?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:18 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Danny they glamourize the non car culture like that is the thing nowadays. The in thing since the 50's was car culture.

do you see teen movies of boys taking girls on a date via a train? heck no, the guy takes the girl out in his new car.

People who complain about the sunbelt cities being too car centric are living in the 1920s. get over it. that is how modern cities are built nowadays.
They will get more dense, no doubt about that, but people love their cars
Haha, you are so clueless. People who advocate for TOD aren't living in the 1920's. We're looking towards the future. If you think that millions, and eventually billions have the write to pump tons of toxins into the air by driving to work and everywhere else everyday, you must be crazy. Cities, outside the sunbelt, were never completely built around the car, their suburbs were.

Today, this method of development has changed. There's something called New Urbanism, something I suggest you look up.

Congress for the New Urbanism
CNU-HOUSTON.ORG

Happy exploring

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Haha, you are so clueless. People who advocate for TOD aren't living in the 1920's. We're looking towards the future. If you think that millions, and eventually billions have the write to pump tons of toxins into the air by driving to work and everywhere else everyday, you must be crazy. Cities, outside the sunbelt, were never completely built around the car, their suburbs were.

Today, this method of development has changed. There's something called New Urbanism, something I suggest you look up.

Congress for the New Urbanism
CNU-HOUSTON.ORG

Happy exploring
don't be stupid I said the areas are getting more dense, it is you guys that are always slamming our car culture, when we will have the room to grow our way, you will still be wondering what went wrong.

The sunbelt cities are the cities of the future, live with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City