Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I just wish some of the Midwestern and Northeastern cities start seeing a resurgence of popularity post-recession. I think most Northern cities have so much to offer and yet they are getting mostly overlooked -- it's a shame!

What u people need to understand and I don't think u ever will.. Is that everyone doesn't want what the northeast has to offer..unfortunatley there are lots of people prefer southern living.. According to the migration patterns it's evident that alot of northeast natives are making that transition.. This has been going on before recession..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 10:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I live in BOTH Houston & Chicago. Its true many are drawn by city life and city living. But I am not (I am 20, who would have thought a 20 year old saying that? I consider it an inferior way of living- just my opinion though, it isn't shared by everyone) I never like the idea of living the way I do in Chicago a 700 square foot loft, tiny as freakin hell. Invite friends over, OH WAIT how many of them? They all cant fit. Its nice once in a while, but all the time, no way.

I like being near the coast, and having the housing units of coastal cities, Mediterranean housing units in Houston such as the ones you see in Miami you will not find in Chicago with tall dazzling palm trees. I love my car, especially in the fact that my parents had to push me to get a high SAT score to deserve a very nice one. I love it, and I view my Houston lifestyle more complete and more to my liking than my Chicago one.

Everyone has their preferences, I can sit here and list all the pros and cons but that doesn't mean anything has changed and that anyones minds here have been altered. Frankly, something I don't care for here. But note, all these rankings, they mean a lot to the people on this site, but the real people who don't even know this site exists, it means absolutely nothing to them. And in those cities you'll find those down to Earth people who live their lives normally unlike how dysfunctional we are here.

In summary: your perception of a city is yours only, you'll find at least 30 people immediately on this site who WILL agree with you, and I will find at least 30 who will agree with me on which place to live is better. We can sit here and go through and add to our post count all day, but in the end, no one has convinced each other of anything at all. So you prefer Philadelphia & Chicago. I prefer coastal living areas that are warm and hot, Los Angeles, Houston, Miami.
Basically for an early start, we can agree to disagree right here, haha and save our post count from skyrocketing about whats better and whats not.
This came off a bit wrong. I like the the actual city of Chicago more than the actual city of Houston. But I like the metro of Houston a lot more than the metro of Chicago. Just more cooler things that I like about it.
My living preference is never a brownstone or anything. I do like brick styled homes that are large, suburban Chicago is freakin sweet, but I like the housing units and trees and weather and activities of the suburbs of Houston more. And I am auto centric, I love my lifestyle. But yeah, thought I should clarify on that, mehhh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Danny they glamourize the non car culture like that is the thing nowadays. The in thing since the 50's was car culture.

do you see teen movies of boys taking girls on a date via a train? heck no, the guy takes the girl out in his new car.

People who complain about the sunbelt cities being too car centric are living in the 1920s. get over it. that is how modern cities are built nowadays.
They will get more dense, no doubt about that, but people love their cars
I need to tell my neighbor, or show him this thread. He goes to USC in Los Angeles, but next Holiday, I will show him when he comes home. He drives an Audi R8, and he loves his car to death, as most people around me do. He can get a kick out of it all. LOL I can already see his reaction.

But its whatever, like Kidphilly already said, we live in a baller country, we get to CHOOSE where we want to live and how we want to live.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Danny they glamourize the non car culture like that is the thing nowadays. The in thing since the 50's was car culture.

do you see teen movies of boys taking girls on a date via a train? heck no, the guy takes the girl out in his new car.

People who complain about the sunbelt cities being too car centric are living in the 1920s. get over it. that is how modern cities are built nowadays.
They will get more dense, no doubt about that, but people love their cars

Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
like Kidphilly already said, we live in a baller country, we get to CHOOSE where we want to live and how we want to live.
lol, he should follow his own words of wisdom and realize that there are other attractive areas of the country. The huge growth of sunbelt cities attest to that.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
I clicked on that link and I clicked on the second column to get all the countries together and the numbers are exactly the same as those I posted.

Yours:
14 Los Angeles[14] United States 14,775,000 5,812 2,500 H / H
28 Chicago[23] United States 9,185,000 5,952 1,500 H / H
49 Dallas–Fort Worth[33] United States 5,620,000 3,959 1,400 H / H
50 San Francisco–San Jose[34] United States 5,550,000 2,497 2,200 H / H
52 Miami[36] United States 5,405,000 2,891 1,900 A / A
55 Philadelphia[7] United States 5,320,000 4,661 1,100 A / A
60 Houston[38] United States 4,935,000 3,463 1,400 H / H
63 Boston[39] United States 4,815,000 5,501 900 H / H
67 Atlanta[41] United States 4,625,000 5,083 900 A / A
69 Washington, D.C.[43] United States 4,510,000 2,996 1,500 A / A
78 Phoenix–Mesa[45] United States 3,985,000 2,069 1,900 A / A
81 Detroit[46] United States 3,880,000 3,267 1,200

Mine:

1. NY 20.6M
2. LA 14.8M
3. Chi 9M
4. DFWA 5.6
5. SF/SJ/Oak 5.5
6. MIA 5.4
7. Phil 5.3
8. Hous 4.9
9. Bost 4.8
10. ATL 4.6
11. DC 4.5
12. PHO 3.9
13 DET 3.8

KidPhilly even PA posters are posting the same info that I am
DFW's urban area is higher than Miami's? I've driven through both metros, and it seemed like MIA's was larger, and had more continuous dense and urbanized land.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
yes that is interesting and I have asked Kidphilly to comment on it but he shys away from it here is the UA's by density:

1. Los Angeles 2500 (SUNBELT)
2. San Fran 2200 (SUNBELT)
3. Phoenix 1900 (SUNBELT who is always slammed)
4. Miami 1900 (SUNBELT)
4. New York 1800
5. Chicago 1500
6. DC 1500
7. Houston 1400 (SUNBELT)
7. Dallas 1400 (SUNBELT)
8. San Diego 1400 (SUNBELT)
9. Detroit 1200
10 Seattle 1200
11.Tampa 1200 (SUNBELT)
12. Baltimore 1200
13. Minn/St Paul 1100
14. Philly 1100
15 St Louis 1000
16. ATL 900 (Sunbelt)
17. Boston 900

look at those sunbelt cities go.

PHILLY doesn't really have a dense UA but Kidphilly loves mentioning UA and density but never together
Sunbelts KILLING it. But I have no problem with KidPhilly's thread. I don't see what all the hate and hoopla is about? He said nothing negative of us Sunbelters.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Haha, you are so clueless. People who advocate for TOD aren't living in the 1920's. We're looking towards the future. If you think that millions, and eventually billions have the write to pump tons of toxins into the air by driving to work and everywhere else everyday, you must be crazy. Cities, outside the sunbelt, were never completely built around the car, their suburbs were.

Today, this method of development has changed. There's something called New Urbanism, something I suggest you look up.

Congress for the New Urbanism
CNU-HOUSTON.ORG

Happy exploring

And this is what you have to deal with on the subways in the northeast and there walkable nieghbors and which this what you will find all over NORTHEAST

Walkable dense nieghborhoods and streets

For a cities that require so much walking, it’s impressive to see all of the litter and trash on the streets.On one hand it’s difficult to imagine how much work has to go into sanitation.you’d think that it could be handled promptly and not cause the streets to smell.Pedestrians are just target practice for drivers. your personal space is constantly being invaded. On the subways, in the streets and even in your apartment, Sardines have WAY more space than the northeast cities do..

Public transportation this what Northeast people praise so much as this is better than driving.

There are no words to describe public transportation in the northeast. Oh wait, yes there are: heinous, disgusting, appalling, filthy, horrific and a thousand other words. Subway trains are CONSTANTLY delayed, broken down and crowded. You sit on the Express and watch the Local get to the station before you..They'll wedge their potato chip bags between the window and chair. Leave their almost empty cans of Arizona Iced tea on the floor. Just toss the McDonalds wrappers wherever. folks will go way overboard with their perfume, cologne, deodorant, or whatever to compensate for their lack of showering and the mix of that is awful and you have to sit next to people like this..A haven to the homeless, rats and roaches, mysterious liquids cascading off the platform in fetid waterfalls and swirling onto the tracks,

So Since our car culture is so toxic... Every means of trnasportation has its pros and cons..

Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Sunbelts KILLING it.
yeah, who would have thought?

Quote:

But I have no problem with KidPhilly's thread. I don't see what all the hate and hoopla is about? He said nothing negative of us Sunbelters.
its not the thread that is the problem, have you been foloowing his and other philly's posters posts? It is a constant attack on them for not being dense or not being urban, or not being vibrant. He ignores valid statistics and brings up something that Philly has an edge on (however slight). People just began to see it as a ploy to make philly look good when he posted yet another one of these threads

Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
And this is what you have to deal with on the subways in the northeast and there walkable nieghbors and which this what you will find all over NORTHEAST

Walkable dense nieghborhoods and streets

For a cities that require so much walking, it’s impressive to see all of the litter and trash on the streets.On one hand it’s difficult to imagine how much work has to go into sanitation.you’d think that it could be handled promptly and not cause the streets to smell.Pedestrians are just target practice for drivers. your personal space is constantly being invaded. On the subways, in the streets and even in your apartment, Sardines have WAY more space than the northeast cities do..

Public transportation this what Northeast people praise so much as this is better than driving.

There are no words to describe public transportation in the northeast. Oh wait, yes there are: heinous, disgusting, appalling, filthy, horrific and a thousand other words. Subway trains are CONSTANTLY delayed, broken down and crowded. You sit on the Express and watch the Local get to the station before you..They'll wedge their potato chip bags between the window and chair. Leave their almost empty cans of Arizona Iced tea on the floor. Just toss the McDonalds wrappers wherever. folks will go way overboard with their perfume, cologne, deodorant, or whatever to compensate for their lack of showering and the mix of that is awful and you have to sit next to people like this..A haven to the homeless, rats and roaches, mysterious liquids cascading off the platform in fetid waterfalls and swirling onto the tracks,

So Since our car culture is so toxic... Every means of trnasportation has its pros and cons..
I don't mind taking a train to museums, or to go catch a game, or concert or some other activity that involves cramped parking lots. I will be glad when we get more rail. But I still like the convenience of the car culture. I can't stand public transport for everyday activities like grocery shopping, shopping for clothes or gifts.

I am glad that we are heading in the direction where we will have good infrastructure in both areas. I like options.

I hated being in London when there were bomb threats or the trains had problems. The surface streets and buses are harder to navigate. can you imagine sunbelt cities with good mass transit and the wonderfully large highways?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I don't mind taking a train to museums, or to go catch a game, or concert or some other activity that involves cramped parking lots. I will be glad when we get more rail. But I still like the convenience of the car culture. I can't stand public transport for everyday activities like grocery shopping, shopping for clothes or gifts.

I am glad that we are heading in the direction where we will have good infrastructure in both areas. I like options.

I hated being in London when there were bomb threats or the trains had problems. The surface streets and buses are harder to navigate. can you imagine sunbelt cities with good mass transit and the wonderfully large highways?

That why I said both have there pro and cons..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City