Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times

Advertisements

You knock Philly for a high poverty rate, but poor people are still people.

Philadelphia, since its inception, has always been a refuge for society's outcast and impoverished people, and still is. IMO that is admirable.

Give me your poor, your tired, your hungry etc. may be motto of Ellis Island, but it is truly upheld by the City of Philadelphia for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
wait a minute, the 08 numbers you posted already had ATL ahead of Boston
Atlanta 4.2 Boston 4.1

and HOuston ahead of DC
Houston (4.4) DC (4.2)

you expect changes?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol you changed that quickly, was gonna say you liked Houston so much you listed it twice.

Yeah SF and SJ will be one UA.

UA only includes area within an MSA - as stated earlier the combined continuous UA from the Philly MSA through the Trenton MSA and into the NYC MSA is continuously populated and meeting UA criteria with 23-24 million but the census seperates UA counts by MSA, BTW the combined continuous UA for the combined continuous SF/SJ in 2008 was 4.8 million and with small growth it would be battling with DFW for 6th position if the two areas are combined into one MSA. Also for perspective as of 2008 the combined DC/Baltimore (also not combined because they are seperate MSAs) would be 6.3 million as of 2008 for UA under the same situation.

DC UA - 185 miles across

Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
UA only includes area within an MSA - as stated earlier the combined continuous UA from the Philly MSA through the Trenton MSA and into the NYC MSA is continuously populated and meeting UA criteria with 23-24 million but the census seperates UA counts by MSA, BTW the combined continuous UA for the combined continuous SF/SJ in 2008 was 4.8 million and with small growth it would be battling with DFW for 6th position if the two areas are combined into one MSA. Also for perspective as of 2008 the combined DC/Baltimore (also not combined because they are seperate MSAs) would be 6.3 million as of 2008 for UA under the same situation.

DC UA - 185 miles across
yeah, gonna be one MSA too. MSA, CSA UA, all sorts of A's

and shouldn't you be showing me these pics:

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
those were rats? I thought they were bloated chihuahuas

I dunno about walking through those hoods, I would probably have to carry some heavy ammo.

they should just condemn that that place, it shows the ills of high density at its worst.

too many people, too much waste, too much crime, too much poverty, too pricey, waaaaaaaaay too negative. give me Georgia, the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, or Socal anyday
Right apartments look like shoe boxes.. sardines have way more room in there cans.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
yeah, gonna be one MSA too. MSA, CSA UA, all sorts of A's

and shouldn't you be showing me these pics:

Yep looks a lot like this sort of

Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Right apartments look like shoe boxes.. sardines have way more room in there cans.
I guess manufactured homes(aka trailers) are better. Texas cities have trailer parks within thier city limits.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
You knock Philly for a high poverty rate, but poor people are still people.

Philadelphia, since its inception, has always been a refuge for society's outcast and impoverished people, and still is. IMO that is admirable.

Give me your poor, your tired, your hungry etc. may be motto of Ellis Island, but it is truly upheld by the City of Philadelphia for better or worse.

You love to talk about your vibrancy but some how u seem to miss the other things about the city.. I don't care how many rowhouses and side walks I can walk on, I was So overwhelmed by the grit trash and filth that I forgot about the great things about Philly.. Where are the sanatation workers?? Did get lost in the dense urban jungle..

Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I guess manufactured homes(aka trailers) are better. Texas cities have trailer parks within thier city limits.
I'd rather live in a manufactored home then to live in a sardine can with kitchen in my bedroom paying 1000 dollars...

Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I'd rather live in a manufactored home then to live in a sardine can with kitchen in my bedroom paying 1000 dollars...
$1,000 dollars a month is the price to live in a more than decent rowhome in a decent neigborhoood or nice suburb. It only cost between $500-$600 a month or less to live in an effeciency or small apt. in the ghetto. The upside to Philly is that you get the most bang for your buck compared to other metros, even Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City